CLASSIC ROCK or HARD ROCK

sjkim

hello

it is my first time at glastonbury so im very excited now!!!

i like britpop but i also like hard rock or classic rock(judas, maiden, metallica, slayer, ratm, zeppline, korn, etc..)

i know that glastonbury goers disklikes hard rock

but gastonbury have many small stage, so i am expecting that there is some small stage for hard rock fans like me.

am i right or wrong?

Edited by sjkim

22 minutes ago, sjkim said:

hello

i like britpop but i also like hard rock or classic rock(judas, maiden, metallica, slayer, ratm, zeppline, korn, etc..)

but gastonbury have many small stage, so i am expecting that there is some small stage for hard rock fans like me.

am i right or wrong?

It depends what you mean. You're unlikely to see bigger names like the ones you've mentioned there (tho Metallica & ratm have both played).

But bands of that type aren't excluded, and if a stage booker wants to book a band of that type they will. It's then down to you knowing of them when you see their name on the line-ups. There isn't a dedicated stage tho.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, sjkim said:

hello

am i right or wrong?

I'm afraid, other than the odd band dotted around the festival, you are unlikely to find a lot that you like.

As many of threads on here will tell you, there is loads to do other than watch bands.But if you are expecting to go from stage to stage watching Rock bands then I'm afraid you will be disappointed.

For example, last year you would have had Enter Shikari, DFA1979,Motorhead and Rival Sons to watch but that would have been slim pickings for a whole weekend.A few other bands around the line up but not much.

I'm the same as you in regards the type of music you like.I usually go to Reading and Download festival to watch bands and Glastonbury to amble around and generally drink too much, there's loads to see and do.

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

I'm afraid, other than the odd band dotted around the festival, you are unlikely to find a lot that you like.

As many of threads on here will tell you, there is loads to do other than watch bands.But if you are expecting to go from stage to stage watching Rock bands then I'm afraid you will be disappointed.

For example, last year you would have had Enter Shikari, DFA1979,Motorhead and Rival Sons to watch but that would have been slim pickings for a whole weekend.A few other bands around the line up but not much.

I'm the same as you in regards the type of music you like.I usually go to Reading and Download festival to watch bands and Glastonbury to amble around and generally drink too much, there's loads to see and do.

HaHa, You're right! I agree with you.

I'm a korean and i just know 5~6 bands in the announced line-up

The reason that i travel halfway around the earth is to enjoy the world's biggest party. Just watching rock band is not my purpose.

But in my experience, sometimes when i get drunk and hyped up, i feel thirst for rock music and headbanging

That's why i asked a hard rock stage.

Edited by sjkim

5 minutes ago, sjkim said:

HaHa, You're right! I agree with you.

I'm a korean and i just know 5~6 bands in the announced line-up

The reason that i travel halfway around the earth is to enjoy the world's largest party. Just watching rock band is not my purpose.

But in my experience, sometimes when i get drunk and hyped up, i feel thirst for rock music and headbanging

That's why i asked a hard rock stage.

Enjoy, it will be great.

Next time you travel around the world for a festival though, make sure it's Download Festival.You'll headbang until it nearly drops off, ha ha.

41 minutes ago, Mickball said:

ZZ Top, Savages, Bring Me The Horizon, Pretty Viscous and Muse would be towards the heavier/hard rock end of the spectrum. 

i love zz top, bmtth

i will check saveges and pretty vicious!!

Thank you!!!  

Edited by sjkim

I think John Fairhurst is back, he does heavy blues stuff. Ben Miller Band also veer towards the heavier blues but more ZZ Top than Hendrix. If you like punk, Membranes are on Leftfield stage on Sunday evening. Apart from those already mentioned, that's about it unless more come out on the next announcement. 

12 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I think John Fairhurst is back, he does heavy blues stuff. Ben Miller Band also veer towards the heavier blues but more ZZ Top than Hendrix. If you like punk, Membranes are on Leftfield stage on Sunday evening. Apart from those already mentioned, that's about it unless more come out on the next announcement. 

Yep Fairhurst is back and after managing to miss all of his performances last year, I'm looking forward to catching him this year. Good shout on Ben Miller too, recently checked him and he looks just like my sort of thing.

As for the general rock side I'd say with ZZ Top (woop!), Muse and Bring Me The Horizon it's not a bad year at all.

23 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

I do find it strange as most other genres, however obscure, seem well represented.

Some say that it is because Rock/metal/punk is well represented in other festivals but you can say that for Dance, Indie, etc but that doesn't stop Glastonbury booking them.

It's really not that complicated.

Glastonbury has always been more about 'pop' than 'rock'.

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

It's really not that complicated.

Glastonbury has always been more about 'pop' than 'rock'.

I didn't find it complicated,was just wondering why that was the only genre not really catered for.

Lets face it, there are a lot of acts on the line up that are a long way off being described as 'pop'

No biggie, as I said, I'm quite happy to roam around the festival with no particular place to be at any time

9 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Yak have apparently told people they are playing the John Peel Tent (probably the most likely venue for young rock acts, along with William's Green). They're an ace power trio who've just released their debut album and are great fun live.

Nooooo! And here's me with no ticket!

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

I didn't find it complicated,was just wondering why that was the only genre not really catered for.

Lets face it, there are a lot of acts on the line up that are a long way off being described as 'pop'

No biggie, as I said, I'm quite happy to roam around the festival with no particular place to be at any time

There are genres not catered for at all. I'd be happy seeing some post hardcore on the bill, but know that's never going to happen. There's always a bit of rock and punk on the bill, but metal is usually conspicuous by it's absence. It's quite a big genre, but one that ME has never seemed to be particularly keen on - I've a vague recollection that he cited safety concerns in the wake of the crush for Pearl Jam at Roskilde. Having said that, jazz could be said to be under-represented as well. It's a pretty broad church but free jazz doesn't get much of a look in, even when West Holts was still called Jazz World!

So yeah, for all it's diversity there's plenty of stuff that Glastonbury doesn't really do.

I like the Ben Miller Band and John Fairhurst (both mentioned here) though they are not that heavy.. Blackberry Smoke is another band you might like.

I really enjoyed Metallica when they played. Metallica themselves seemed delighted to be there and James Hetfield did a speech saying something along the lines that he hoped this would open the door for heavier music. That continued last year with Motorhead. Less heavy this year with ZZ Top.

The Festival have announced they will be doing a tribute to Lemmy (Motörhead) on The Other Stage but they haven't gone into any details 

Quote 'We are also doing a Lemmy tribute on The Other stage which is really good but it has to remain a surprise'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/31/glastonbury-lineup-new-festival-emily-eavis-interview