I made a website to convert setlists to Spotify playlists - good way to get hyped for your lineup!

lawrhol

Hi guys!

Got permission to post my new website here. It allows you save a band's setlist as a Spotify playlist, hopefully you find it useful!

I found it useful last year to get familiar with a band's current song lineup before seeing them at a festival. But it's also cool to listen to setlists for gigs that you've been to in the past.

Anyway, here's the link: https://setify.co/

I'm actively trying to make it better, so any feedback is appreciated.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's great! I'm often using setlist.fm and creating my own Spotify playlist from there, and this just makes things so much easier. Thank you!

If I could suggest anything, and assuming you're using setlist.fm as your source, it would be even more great if you can use the "Average Setlist" (or whatever it's called) or even all songs played on the selected tour - could be useful if you're anticipating a gig coming up but the band tends to mix things up every night, much like James do.

What's it written in? Is it in Github or similar? I was thinking of doing some coding against the Spotify API.

My idea was a to enter your Spotify account and it would check the Glastonbury lineup against any artists  that you follow and find any gems you may have missed. Just couldn't get started, so a code sample would be useful.

4 minutes ago, Sidasta said:

That's great! I'm often using setlist.fm and creating my own Spotify playlist from there, and this just makes things so much easier. Thank you!

If I could suggest anything, and assuming you're using setlist.fm as your source, it would be even more great if you can use the "Average Setlist" (or whatever it's called) or even all songs played on the selected tour - could be useful if you're anticipating a gig coming up but the band tends to mix things up every night, much like James do.

Cheers!

You're correct with setlist.fm, and those are some interesting ideas. Will add those to my todo list, they're probably not quick developments though.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What's it written in? Is it in Github or similar? I was thinking of doing some coding against the Spotify API.

My idea was a to enter your Spotify account and it would check the Glastonbury lineup against any artists  that you follow and find any gems you may have missed. Just couldn't get started, so a code sample would be useful.

It's not publicly readable on Github right now because the codebase needs tidying up. But it's built with React and NodeJS (the base is React Starter Kit). The Spotify API however is pretty simple to work with! If you have any specific questions about it I'd be happy to help you out, I'm pretty familiar with it now.

Very glad to see someone else combining setlist.fm info with Spotify! I second @Sidasta's requets - it'd be great to have average setlist or all songs played in current year (or indeed over a set range of years).

Not sure if you knew but, as was pointed out to me a while back, something similar does already exists: http://static.echonest.com/SetListener/

And of course, if you want a single playlist of all the Glasto acts' most played few songs from recent setlists then it's here:

3 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Very glad to see someone else combining setlist.fm info with Spotify! I second @Sidasta's requets - it'd be great to have average setlist or all songs played in current year (or indeed over a set range of years).

Not sure if you knew but, as was pointed out to me a while back, something similar does already exists: http://static.echonest.com/SetListener/

And of course, if you want a single playlist of all the Glasto acts' most played few songs from recent setlists then it's here:

Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, I am familiar with the Set Listener. Key (and I think significant) differences are that Setify will show you the Playlist as it will appear in your Spotify library. The Set Listener doesn't check what songs are available on Spotify first, so you'll sometimes end up with a shorter playlist than you were expecting (or it will fail to save it altogether). And you obviously can't browse on the Set Listener.

1 hour ago, lawrhol said:

Hi guys!

Got permission to post my new website here. It allows you save a band's setlist as a Spotify playlist, hopefully you find it useful!

I found it useful last year to get familiar with a band's current song lineup before seeing them at a festival. But it's also cool to listen to setlists for gigs that you've been to in the past.

Anyway, here's the link: https://setify.co/

I'm actively trying to make it better, so any feedback is appreciated.

Brilliant idea I do this all the time. I'd use it but I use Deezer :(

I could of saved 5 minutes of my day today when making a Busted playlist :(

12 hours ago, Larraht said:

Ok, so i'm not particularly technology savvy so for me this website is a game changer! Thank you! 

Glad you find it useful!

24 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

/me reads the posts here and starts joining up dots in his head that he didn't when he first saw setify and thinks of possibilities..... :)

@eFestivals interesting... feel free to share these possibilities!

1 minute ago, lawrhol said:

@eFestivals interesting... feel free to share these possibilities!

there's what you've done, and then there's what Brave Sir Robin is doing manually, and then there's me sat in the middle with the data that could join the two ideas in an auto-process and where there's the immediate traffic that would be interested in it.

Now that I think about it more, I looked into joining the line-ups with spotify a number of years ago, tho spotify had too-few acts on it at the time to make it too worthwhile.

Many years ago, for a while efests had a thing called (I think) 'festival sound generator' that was attached to the line-ups here (it was written and maintained by a 3rd party), which pulled music from myspace and anywhere else a band might have music - tho there were licencing issues around that (tho it was at a time when online music licencing wasn't clearly defined). The main issue with that was that was the amount of work required to keep it current ... what you've done keeps it fantastically current without the manual work, tho I suspect it might hit a few issues with the lack of setlists for more-minor bands.

I've been having the same thoughts. It'd be great to automate what I do for the big playlist. However, the time consuming bit of the latter isn't really the acts that have setlists on Spotify - they're easy. It's the newer/smaller acts and DJs that take a bit of hunting around to see what they're playing. Yet it's obviously the big setlist-listed acts that are what your average punter is interested in, so it'd definitely be worthwhile trying to set something up, even if it did miss some acts (who could be added manually). You could add personalisation by stage, perhaps genre. I'm sure that'd bring traffic. You could possibly even monetise it (a small fee for your personalised playlist) if you wanted to.

37 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there's what you've done, and then there's what Brave Sir Robin is doing manually, and then there's me sat in the middle with the data that could join the two ideas in an auto-process and where there's the immediate traffic that would be interested in it.

I like that idea, and it's certainly possible with the setlist.fm and Spotify APIs. You have my email if you want to talk more about collaborating on that!

Spotify is hugely popular now, and has a pretty great API, so it's perfect for these kinds of projects.

1 hour ago, lawrhol said:

I like that idea, and it's certainly possible with the setlist.fm and Spotify APIs. You have my email if you want to talk more about collaborating on that!

Spotify is hugely popular now, and has a pretty great API, so it's perfect for these kinds of projects.

It's definitely something i'd like to follow up, but it might be a while before I've time to do that - am in the middle of other projects at the mo and don't want to get diverted.

BSR's experience in doing the manual playlists would make him a valuable part of any collab, too.

Edited by eFestivals

50 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It's definitely something i'd like to follow up, but it might be a while before I've time to do that - am in the middle of other projects at the mo and don't want to get diverted.

BSR's experience in doing the manual playlists would make him a valuable part of any collab, too.

Cool, well keep in touch!

44 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

This is amazing, cheers Lawrhol! :D

16 minutes ago, Badlands said:

For its simplicity and ease this is fantastic. 

Glad you're both finding it useful - thanks!

1 hour ago, SirDaniel said:

Fantastic stuff. Prior to seeing new or unfamiliar artists, I always have a look at Setlist.fm to familiarise myself with their live content. This will make that a hell of a lot easier - thanks a lot!

I'm exactly the same.

1 hour ago, Battlescar said:

Ditto.  Cheers :lol:

Thanks guys! 

• 3 weeks later...