Needing inspiration with lineup

chestwig

Ok so love many of the DJ's that have been confirmed and will probably stumble into lots of cool random stuff as always. I find myself really need some guidance with bands playing this year? I've checked out bands like foals, m83 and such and they just don't have that wow factor for me. Heard it all before I suppose....

I find most of bands lineup really uninspiring and not just the headliners. However there are a couple of highlights for me, Beck being one and  PJ Harvey being a must.

Would anybody else have some killer must see recommendations for bands?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How broad is your taste in music? There's quite a wide range of stuff that doesn't do it for you but what else does.

Baaba Maal is great if you like African beats. Wolf Alice and Savages if you want something a bit more lively. Pretty Vicious if you want to see an exciting young 'punk' band. I realise these might not float your boat but if the acts you like are likely to be on the undercard, and it seems they probably are, you probably need to wait for the main poster. 

Hold on in there. You'll get plenty of advice when the full lineup is with us.

I do like African rhythms so I'll check babba maal out.

seen wolf Alice makes the pyramid this year. Never heard their stuff, but did they headline park last year?

looks like this is a year for mostly pottering.... New order are about the online main stage headliner that get me mildly excited. Seen them loads before though, so it's nothing special for me.

to answer your question I like all bands that have a unique distinctive sound and do what they do well. So Radiohead, massive attack, portishead are some of my favourite. Also I like people like me kenrick lamar, John wizards, tame impala

6 minutes ago, chestwig said:

I'm a deezer and tidal man. Can you listen without a subscription?

I think as long as you are connected to the internet you don't need a subscription but I'm sure I read somewhere that you can get Spotify premium for 3 months for 99p and then you can listen offline

Edited by Twisted Melon

6 minutes ago, chestwig said:

I'm a deezer and tidal man. Can you listen without a subscription?

1 minute ago, Twisted Melon said:

I think as long as you are connected to the internet you don't need a subscription but I'm sure I read somewhere that you can get Spotify premium for 99p for 3 months

Yep, you can listen to the playlist here entirely free, you just get ads every now and again. You can also listen free via the phone app, with ads and only on shuffle (with a limited number of skips per hour). Or pay 99p for three months premium quality, ad-free access: https://www.spotify.com/uk/

am I wrong or there's far less live bands this year than in the past? I'm lookin at the areas announced so far. been navigating through the names of the common and the glade, remembering much more live bands in the past: at the rum shack, at the spike, at the glade stage...there are a lot of djs (some amazing stuff), but less live music. am I wrong?

52 minutes ago, Twisted Melon said:

Have you tried listening to Brave Sir Robin's Spotify playlist? It's a great way to do some pre festival research. 

Was just going to say this. That playlist is immense. I don't pay a subscription (I didn't know it was only 99p) but I can still listen and skip songs.

id just give that a go @chestwig bound to be some random stuff you'll love..

48 minutes ago, Jamie D said:

Absolutely love John Grant. Will definitely be watching on the Pyramid. His Pale Green Ghosts album is superb.

John Grant is an excellent shout he'd be my first recommendation for you 

Of Monster and Men are another worth checking out 

@chestwig this is much much better than you might have thought. You've posted for a while that you might cancel because nothing inspires you but actually there loads you haven't discovered yet. (I'm being a mate here because this time you are asking for advice). For example, Wolf Alice, give them a listen. I reckon they will play John Peel, great atmosphere, just bring a hairbrush (!) And with the stuff you say you like I think Roisin Murphy will work. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, forgive me if I'm wrong. I think you might like a fairly wide range of stuff but there's a lot you haven't heard (me too). Glastonbury is fucking brilliant for this. So... listen to BSR's playlist, listen to stuff people recommend on this thread and have a good wander when you get there. Come to the eFests meet. Or just arrange to have a drink with some of us her early on to chat about what's on. I'm happy to meet for a pint.

Wrap

2 hours ago, Jamie D said:

Absolutely love John Grant. Will definitely be watching on the Pyramid. His Pale Green Ghosts album is superb.

Didn't know John Grant until I hear him on Robin's Spotify list - really enjoying listening to him.

Edited by Beerqueen

I fully agree with what you are saying. I've been working my through YouTube of what's announced so far and who the 'hot' new bands are and it's all very 'meh'. 

I think it's a sign of how bands are in a bit of a slump creatively recently,  a bit like the back end of the 90s and early 00s.

Hopefully in the next few years the music scene will start rebelling against this awful tory government again instead of sounding like music made especially for them.