Brothers cider Bar

marathonsteve

I remember the fiasco with the blue 2 litre bottles. Was it perhaps as recent as 2008 or thereabouts when it happened? Yeah basically they were told to stop doing it or stop trading. A mate of mine actually went up and told the manager guy (seems to be the same one there each year), that there were loads of under aged drinkers just throwing up now all over the place, plus a few 1000 blue bottles littering the field, and he was like meh. Then they shut, then reopened soon after without the offer. Loads of peeps just went on buying pints in cups and then topping up the blue bottles though anyway ;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I remember the fiasco with the blue 2 litre bottles. Was it perhaps as recent as 2008 or thereabouts when it happened? Yeah basically they were told to stop doing it or stop trading. A mate of mine actually went up and told the manager guy (seems to be the same one there each year), that there were loads of under aged drinkers just throwing up now all over the place, plus a few 1000 blue bottles littering the field, and he was like meh. Then they shut, then reopened soon after without the offer. Loads of peeps just went on buying pints in cups and then topping up the blue bottles though anyway ;)

imagine being at glastonbury and reporting people for underage drinking....

The way I heard the Brothers story is that it was owners/runners of other bars getting pissed off at the bottles taking their trade away (because there's only one Brothers Bar on site, but the bottles let people essentially drink it all around the festival).

The sensible drinking thing is obvious guff - you could still buy four pints in four cardboard cups - more alcohol, except you then had a drink it all at once as it was difficult to cart around the festival. The brilliance of the bottles was you drink some and keep the rest for later. If they were selling bottles without tops, that'd be a different story.

All worked in out in the end though, as now you can buy it in cans from Tesco and take it in with you!

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

The way I heard the Brothers story is that it was owners/runners of other bars getting pissed off at the bottles taking their trade away (because there's only one Brothers Bar on site, but the bottles let people essentially drink it all around the festival).

The sensible drinking thing is obvious guff - you could still buy four pints in four cardboard cups - more alcohol, except you then had a drink it all at once as it was difficult to cart around the festival. The brilliance of the bottles was you drink some and keep the rest for later. If they were selling bottles without tops, that'd be a different story.

All worked in out in the end though, as now you can buy it in cans from Tesco and take it in with you!

well what you were told was wrong - at that time the WBC was the Main Bar Operator and they had not a clue about Brothers selling large bottles  - I knew the DPS involved ' so its not a second hand story ' and he was the one who had to sort it out  - MDC was concerned that people were 'proxy buying' for people who were under 18  and under the Licensing Act 2003 that is against the law and it was clear that if Brothers  did not stop selling the large bottles MDC had the power to close every bar on site # that same night # - they could also go far further as well - they have the power to prevent ' anyone  bringing in their own drink onto the site' - sure they could not have done anything for that year but they could for later years.

MDC officials were shocked at what they saw - sure some people may not see any harm in it but they would be the same people who would complain if they were not allowed to bring in their own drink in later years.

MDC can impose any restriction they wish as its not a public event - later that year at the end of the event report they highlighted their concerns and its clear ' they spotted this when they just walked though the field ' - they were not responding to any complaints from any other bar operator's

They walk around the site every year and if they spot something they are not happy with they will call the DPS and it will get sorted out that same night.

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

well what you were told was wrong - at that time the WBC was the Main Bar Operator and they had not a clue about Brothers selling large bottles  - I knew the DPS involved ' so its not a second hand story ' and he was the one who had to sort it out  - MDC was concerned that people were 'proxy buying' for people who were under 18  and under the Licensing Act 2003 that is against the law and it was clear that if Brothers  did not stop selling the large bottles MDC had the power to close every bar on site # that same night # - they could also go far further as well - they have the power to prevent ' anyone  bringing in their own drink onto the site' - sure they could not have done anything for that year but they could for later years.

Certainly possible, also possible the complaints came from someone other other WBC as there were other bar operators. I was the giving the DPS/MDC the benefit of the doubt for not being morons that didn't realise that 4 pints is approximately two litres. Same as the "sensible drinking" argument. If people were proxy buying, they'd be more likely to buy individual pints so everyone could have their own drinks receptacle...

One issue with the bottles is that they were more visible - four cardboard pint cups coloured green crush down and blend into the grass easier than a plastic bottles. So in terms of 'keeping up appearances' it may have been a sensible move, but in terms of actually having any effect whatsoever.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Certainly possible, also possible the complaints came from someone other other WBC as there were other bar operators. I was the giving the DPS/MDC the benefit of the doubt for not being morons that didn't realise that 4 pints is approximately two litres. Same as the "sensible drinking" argument. If people were proxy buying, they'd be more likely to buy individual pints so everyone could have their own drinks receptacle...

One issue with the bottles is that they were more visible - four cardboard pint cups coloured green crush down and blend into the grass easier than a plastic bottles. So in terms of 'keeping up appearances' it may have been a sensible move, but in terms of actually having any effect whatsoever.

this is before Avalon was formed so I know WBC ran at least 40 bars at that time - the WBC would never try to influence MDC as I know what MDC would say - it just would not happen - I knew that DPS for a good 20 years before he died and the only time the WBC found out ' was after MDC contacted that DPS ' - he could have shut down the whole Brothers operation as MDC did have under 18's on the ground spewing their guts up and the only common factor was they were all seen with large bottles of cider - sorry but any second hand stories are second hand stories.

The only way the WBC has been involved for 30 years is because they try to prevent underage drinking - sure they cant stop it but they do their best.

if they or anyone else tried to influence MDC - they would risk expulsion so it would not be worth it. Not to mention what the press would do if the story leaked out.

The facts are ' they were not happy with the large bottles being sold ' so a ban was placed on them
and once they were satisfied no more large bottles were being sold they could contiune to trade.

Its all in the report for that year - no secret conspiracies.

28 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

this is before Avalon was formed so I know WBC ran at least 40 bars at that time - the WBC would never try to influence MDC as I know what MDC would say - it just would not happen - I knew that DPS for a good 20 years before he died and the only time the WBC found out ' was after MDC contacted that DPS ' - he could have shut down the whole Brothers operation as MDC did have under 18's on the ground spewing their guts up and the only common factor was they were all seen with large bottles of cider - sorry but any second hand stories are second hand stories.

The only way the WBC has been involved for 30 years is because they try to prevent underage drinking - sure they cant stop it but they do their best.

Well the other common factor is that they were all seen with alcohol. I know you heart the WBC but it's not like they do anything that Brothers don't do to discourage underage drinking. Unless you subscribe to the barmy notion that selling 4 pints in a bottle somehow does that more than selling 4 pints in cups.

Yes, the DPS could have shut down the entire bar had he wanted, but ask you keep pointing out, that person has full authority over all alcohol sales on the site, so could shut down any bar for any reason, so statements like that are utterly meaningless.

Its all in the report for that year - no secret conspiracies.

Fair enough, just moronic idiocy on the part of MDC then.

I don't know you anyone would want to drink it anyway.

About

The cider is made with a carefully selected pear juice concentrate using a fermentation process that's been developed over generations using "Babycham" technology, using their own yeast culture. It is claimed that during fermentation the drink is kept under pressure, retaining full natural carbonation. How fermentation continues under these conditions is unclear. Brothers is made from pear concentrate, using a yeast culture and cannot in any way be considered "real" cider. It is effectively a Babycham for the alcopop generation and should be regarded as industrial cider.

According to Alan Stone's book "The Somerset Cider Handbook", Brothers Pear Cider is made from 100% imported Conference Pear concentrate.

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I don't know you anyone would want to drink it anyway.

About

The cider is made with a carefully selected pear juice concentrate using a fermentation process that's been developed over generations using "Babycham" technology, using their own yeast culture. It is claimed that during fermentation the drink is kept under pressure, retaining full natural carbonation. How fermentation continues under these conditions is unclear. Brothers is made from pear concentrate, using a yeast culture and cannot in any way be considered "real" cider. It is effectively a Babycham for the alcopop generation and should be regarded as industrial cider.

According to Alan Stone's book "The Somerset Cider Handbook", Brothers Pear Cider is made from 100% imported Conference Pear concentrate.

Yum! ;) Do love their toffee apple in the mornings though

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I can vouch for that having been refused a pint in the main Silver hayes bar by a wee lad lad young enough to be my son. I was 44 !

1 hour ago, simonizer said:

I can vouch for that having been refused a pint in the main Silver hayes bar by a wee lad lad young enough to be my son. I was 44 !

i was once asked for ID , i told the young lad behind the bar  "i know your just doing your job, so here it is , but I do have underpants older than you "

3 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

i was once asked for ID , i told the young lad behind the bar  "i know your just doing your job, so here it is , but I do have underpants older than you "

...and that's why uncle shuttlep is on the sex offenders register...

I was once ID'd at the cider bus. Unfortunately I didn't have my ID on me but I pointed out that I have grey hair. She very kindly said as she had already asked for ID she technically couldn't serve me but if I moved along one then I'd be served. I thought that was pretty awesome of her, saved me having to go to the lockup.

Anyway Brothers from a 2 litre bottle... absolutely hilarious reading all these stories as I remember the time very well. I'm pretty sure it was circa 2004? We were about 19 at the time and I remember absolute carnage from all of us being so drunk. In fact I passed out in the jazz world field and woke up to find all my friends gone (bastards) and a random couple sat next to me. I was definitely sick.

10 minutes ago, Jamie D said:

I was once ID'd at the cider bus. Unfortunately I didn't have my ID on me but I pointed out that I have grey hair. She very kindly said as she had already asked for ID she technically couldn't serve me but if I moved along one then I'd be served. I thought that was pretty awesome of her, saved me having to go to the lockup.

Anyway Brothers from a 2 litre bottle... absolutely hilarious reading all these stories as I remember the time very well. I'm pretty sure it was circa 2004? We were about 19 at the time and I remember absolute carnage from all of us being so drunk. In fact I passed out in the jazz world field and woke up to find all my friends gone (bastards) and a random couple sat next to me. I was definitely sick.

That's what I remember.  @DeanoL can say it makes to no difference til he's blue in the face, but he's wrong.  2 litre bottles led to more shit facedness than pints.  It's just far, far easier to buy shit loads.  We were buying rounds of 2 litre bottles and had three on the go at once, swigging them back like no tomorrow.  There's no way we'd keep going back for paper cups like that, too easy to spill and too easy to keep track of what you've drunk.

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's what I remember.  @DeanoL can say it makes to no difference til he's blue in the face, but he's wrong.  2 litre bottles led to more shit facedness than pints.  It's just far, far easier to buy shit loads.  We were buying rounds of 2 litre bottles and had three on the go at once, swigging them back like no tomorrow.  There's no way we'd keep going back for paper cups like that, too easy to spill and too easy to keep track of what you've drunk.

You're right, but what's wrong with being shitfaced at glastonbury? 

Most of us walk around swigging from a bottle of rum/vodka/whatever, which is much worse on your liver.

Even if it's a case of "think of the children!" they will throw up after 4 pints tops and be out of the game. Absolutely no harm done whatsoever. 

It aggravates me to this day. And I dont even like brothers cider.

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

You're right, but what's wrong with being shitfaced at glastonbury? 

Most of us walk around swigging from a bottle of rum/vodka/whatever, which is much worse on your liver.

Even if it's a case of "think of the children!" they will throw up after 4 pints tops and be out of the game. Absolutely no harm done whatsoever. 

It aggravates me to this day. And I dont even like brothers cider.

Nowt, I'm just disagreeing with the idea that the 2 litre bottle had no effect on drunkenness. @Jamie D put it right - carnage.

Edited by stuartbert two hats