Would you like a fairer way to buy tickets?

porthoshsc

Would you prefer a 'submit your application in advance and get randomly allocated tickets' process?'  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer a 'submit your application in advance and get randomly allocated tickets' process? (There would still be a way to request group tickets)

• Yes
    • No

The current system of a free for all on one (two including coach) day seems a bit archaic. People get very frustrated with the site going down. People who aren't available at that time often miss out.

Would you prefer a system where you simply submit your request for a ticket or tickets for a group and your payment details at any time? Then on a given date, it randomly allocates them?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not at all.  This system is as fair as it can get, and often rewards those who try hardest. 

Having a ballot would end up with a load of half-assed people going. 

Ultimately the system is fair because it keeps tickets out of the hands of touts and profiteers.

everyone has the same chance of getting them but the dedicated regulars can pool their efforts to maximise their chances.

i think it could be made fairer if there was no refunds available, only those who knew they could or wanted to go would try for tickets, the ' just in case ers' would be eliminated, however this isn't feasible with the tickets going on sale so far in advance and with no option of secondary selling you need the refund system.

as with democracy the current system is the least worst option.

An idea has just sprung to mind though... (not sure if this has been suggested before).

I've previously suggested a blanket 'reward loyalty' scheme, whereby those that have been above a certain threshold number of times get first dibs so to speak. The arguments against are same people going,  atmosphere becoming stale over time etc. which are all valid points.

Could a halfway-house measure work though? Something along the lines of how footy clubs offer season tickets. Say for instance, 10,000 tickets are offered each year to reward loyalty? The rest (majority) of tickets are sold as they are now? 

13 minutes ago, porthoshsc said:

The current system of a free for all on one (two including coach) day seems a bit archaic. People get very frustrated with the site going down. People who aren't available at that time often miss out.

Would you prefer a system where you simply submit your request for a ticket or tickets for a group and your payment details at any time? Then on a given date, it randomly allocates them?

The London marathon is a ballot. I've entered every year for 7 years and never got in . That's not fair but it's a ballot. 

I've got to agree with all the other responses here. It's about as fair as it can get, and the festival goes out of it's way to make it so. When was the last time the site went down? I think it was 2013 there was the temporary problem with one of the servers, but the site didn't fail. 2007 was the last one I think.

I've had difficulties over the last four years but this will be my fourth successive Glastonbury. I feel that this system rewards determination more than the alternative and in that respect, it is fairer. Those who want it more will try the coach sale, then the general sale, then the resales (as I myself have done). If I missed out on all four of those I think maybe I'm just not meant to go this time and seek an alternative festival.

NO

as much as the current system is a pain in the arse and bloody frustrating..... its the same for everyone so we are all equal.

if you want a fairer way to get a ticket for the regular Glastonbury attendee it should be left to the campsite stewards for those campers who love the farm and leave no trace.  Those who only leave the footprint of yellow grass where their tent once stood could be given a pass to buy their tickets a week early as a sign of respecting Michael's beautiful farm..... hard to police who is a 'clean' camper but it would reward those who are.

17 minutes ago, porthoshsc said:

How and Why is that fairer?

Think this is the fairest system there is. Far from perfect but don't think the ballot thing would be good at all. Priority has to be excluding ticket touts and if anyone could just throw their hat in the ring by filling out a form it would be chaos with the amount of chancers trying to fleece other people who wouldn't be too up to speed with the photo on ticket only admits that person. I would stick with what we have 

My only gripe is the number of tickets that can be bought by any one person.

I'm sure I'm correct that one year they allowed 8(!) tickets to be purchased by one person.

I'd like it to be restricted to a maximum of 4. If you wish to re-try for more then fine, but you should be expected to rejoin all other ticket seekers. The current system doesn't benefit smaller groups.

I think the resale could be done differently, no one registering inbetween the main sale and resale. Maybe some sort of priority to those that tried for main sale?

An email with a code assigned to their registration that can only be sent out on the Sunday of the main sale for those trying to buy tickets and unsuccessful 

There seems to be two issues mixed into the one post here.

Firstly the idea of fairness and secondly that the booking process is frustrating and outmoded. I don't think they belong together at all and shouldn't be conflated. It's obviously a massively oversubscribed festival and given that I think it's reasonable that people who are prepared to put a little effort in, like get up a little earlier on a Sunday or rearrange their work responsibilities, should be rewarded. Yes there are many ways they could make the process require less effort but that wouldn't make the process more fair, just easier. And I'm really not sure that making something easier equates to making it fairer.

Usually when people want a fairer ticketing process they want it fairer for themselves.

I noticed that the first year they started to sell tickets online was the very first year people started to have problems getting tickets, the year before that I went to a ticket shop in bristol with cash and bought whatever number you could buy at one time, I think about 4 tickets . there was no queue although a tiny build up of people started after me I was there when the tickets first went on sale . I would like to go back to ticket shops and queues and cash money, none of this computer stuff .

I think queue's are fairer to the people who really want to go . For kate bush's last night I went the day before the last night at 4 o' clock and was willing to queue all night, I would do that for any performance I really wanted to see

9 minutes ago, Thevorpalblade said:

My only gripe is the number of tickets that can be bought by any one person.

I'm sure I'm correct that one year they allowed 8(!) tickets to be purchased by one person.

I'd like it to be restricted to a maximum of 4. If you wish to re-try for more then fine, but you should be expected to rejoin all other ticket seekers. The current system doesn't benefit smaller groups.

I'm liking the four tickets idea.... thats one car.  But this year the limit was six and there was eight in my group so 2 have missed out, we only got to the booking page once in October, not even a sniff on the official resale in April and the secret flash sale was over before I could put my numbers in so I've got two very sad people here :(

Thanks for the replies everyone. Wow, it's an emotive topic.

21 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

The London marathon is a ballot. I've entered every year for 7 years and never got in . That's not fair but it's a ballot. 

I think the definition of fairness varies from person to person. Some would say that is fair.

20 minutes ago, musky said:

I've got to agree with all the other responses here. It's about as fair as it can get, and the festival goes out of it's way to make it so. When was the last time the site went down? I think it was 2013 there was the temporary problem with one of the servers, but the site didn't fail. 2007 was the last one I think.

Every year I have gone to buy tickets, one of the pages has failed to load and I have had to go back to the beginning. That is what I meant by down. It's frustrating and doesn't happen with normal checkout procedures.

17 minutes ago, incident said:

How and Why is that fairer?

The definition of fairness varies from person to person. I was suggesting it might be fairer, for example, if someone had had to go to hospital for an emergency the week of the ticket sales, it seems unfair that they would miss out. Of course, there is the counter argument well made on here that a ballot system would allow those who aren't that bothered about going get a ticket, which doesn't seem fair either.

4 minutes ago, musky said:

There seems to be two issues mixed into the one post here.

Firstly the idea of fairness and secondly that the booking process is frustrating and outmoded. I don't think they belong together at all and shouldn't be conflated. It's obviously a massively oversubscribed festival and given that I think it's reasonable that people who are prepared to put a little effort in, like get up a little earlier on a Sunday or rearrange their work responsibilities, should be rewarded. Yes there are many ways they could make the process require less effort but that wouldn't make the process more fair, just easier. And I'm really not sure that making something easier equates to making it fairer.

Usually when people want a fairer ticketing process they want it fairer for themselves.

I agree they are in many ways two issues, but they are still related. Some people set up multiple computers to increase their chances of getting through. Others aren't technically inclined and just have one. The former has what you could argue is an unfair advantage gained from a frustrating and outmoded booking system. A ballot would resolve this.

I have tickets to glasto this year, and I got them in the very first coach sale. I was just wondering if people considered the other way fairer, that's all. I hadn't made my own mind up. The posts on here have swayed me back towards the current system being the fairest (or least worst as someone put it).

2 minutes ago, jonny2mad said:

For kate bush's last night I went the day before the last night at 4 o' clock and was willing to queue all night, I would do that for any performance I really wanted to see

•  

Off Thread... Did you regret queuing for Kate Bush? I had two tickets for different nights. My favourite artist and I hated the concert. Sold my signed memorabilia and the second tickets.

Just now, Thevorpalblade said:

Off Thread... Did you regret queuing for Kate Bush? I had two tickets for different nights. My favourite artist and I hated the concert. Sold my signed memorabilia and the second tickets.

no I went three times opening night middle of the run and last night ,and really enjoyed it also my favourite artist, 

2 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

The only problem with the sales is they penalise those who have slow internet connections. Although I do think it's the fairest way (and that's coming from someone who tried in every possible sale this year!)

I don't think its the speed of your internet connection, I've got through on my 3G mobile phone before.  Its the number of different connections that give you more of a chance

8 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

The only problem with the sales is they penalise those who have slow internet connections. Although I do think it's the fairest way (and that's coming from someone who tried in every possible sale this year!)

I'm not sure I agree tbh, even if internet speed does make a difference I suspect the difference it actually makes is negligible (any techies please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!).

Edited by djdavejohnson