Would you like a fairer way to buy tickets?

porthoshsc

Would you prefer a 'submit your application in advance and get randomly allocated tickets' process?'  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer a 'submit your application in advance and get randomly allocated tickets' process? (There would still be a way to request group tickets)

• Yes
    • No

@ollyrag That is the case, the more people trying for a booking session the greater chances you have of succeeding. The system as it stands favours well organised groups of 6 (4 in the resale). As someone who is only looking for 1 or 2 tickets (me) that's a slight disadvantage, but the issue with lowering the number of tickets per purchase is the risk of reducing overall demand - single ticket purchases would be the fairest but I reckon 90%+ of the demand would disappear if people couldn't guarantee going with a group. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The system is as fair as you're going to get! The problem is the efficiency of the current process. All you have to do to get an equal chance is get up and try for 40 minutes and if you're lucky hey presto you have tickets! If it took hours to sell out like it used to those who aren't that bothered would give up whilst those committed would then have an improved chance! It really makes sense!

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

This ^

If you're one who loses out, you'll always think it's unfair that you've lost out.

There's no perfect way to sell over-subscribed tickets. A lottery is open to easy abuse by putting your name in more than once. A queued system rewards the first in the queue, without any basis other than being first.

The system they have doesn't make it impossible for anyone, but it does better reward those who are prepared to try harder - which ensures that (to some extent) the keenest to go have a greater chance of going.

The convo comes round every year. I've yet to see a suggestion for a better system than the one we have. A lotto or queued might be preferable to some, but they do nothing about making who gets the tickets 'fairer'.

I think you could do a fair lotto, where people are prevented from getting more than one entry. But the cost and effort of enforcing that wouldn't be worth the marginal increase in fairness.

1 hour ago, ourkid1984 said:

I think you're getting too hung up on what I'm saying. I have also said that I personally think the current system is quite fair. 

Anyway the points you have made.... if tickets were available over the counter at box offices they wouldn't go on sale at 9pm or even if they were at least you would have the choice of getting to said box office and either pulling an all nighter or staying over night before getting the irregular bus back.

I don't think dial up would be anywhere near quick enough to be successful at getting tickets. I would love to be proved wrong.

But equally you could find a late night bar with wifi and pull an all nighter there. All I'm saying is that people in remote areas without broadband are no better off either way. And dial up would work. I think you would likely have a marginal disadvantage to those on broadband, but the amount of data gong back and forth is tiny. It's about hitting the server at the right time.

49 minutes ago, ollyrag said:

Have noticed a number of large groups often getting 20+ tickets for mates.

Clearly they are determined and organised. From outsider looking in this doesn't look like the luck of the draw.

I struggling to get 4 tickets year on year and whole teams seam to manage consistently to get quite sizaeble batches each year.

Know that this probably is not the case but you can see how it looks to the inexperienced.

Well an organised group have 20 people trying and need to succeed four times. So one in five people need to get through.

You have four people and need to get through once. So your chances are lower. It's compounded by the fact that those 20 people can all keep trying after succeeding too.

There is one major issue with the current system and that's accessibility - i.e. the differing ability of people who find web pages difficult to complete/navigate. I'm a web designer and if I proposed a system as unfair as the current one I'd be fired. Websites and that includes the booking for Glastonbury tickets needs to be fair for people with different abilities when it comes to filling out web forms.

So, my proposal is simple. In advance, you create your account and fill out the registration details for your group plus payment details, in your own time.

On T-Day, you're logged in - but faced with the F5 madness as usual - once you get through, no fuss, you click confirm, and again as needed for registrations and payment. Done.

It's clear that the current system does favour people who have got through to the registration page - they can hit the back button and fill out registrations for another 6 people. My proposal should eliminate some of that and make sure that it's a completely level playing field for everyone.

18 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I think you could do a fair lotto, where people are prevented from getting more than one entry. But the cost and effort of enforcing that wouldn't be worth the marginal increase in fairness.

there is no system that could stop multiple applications to a lotto system. There just isn't.

Edited by eFestivals

I think it would be interesting if it were possible to sell a certain amount of tickets through shops.  For example there would be a specific, designated shop in each big city more than likely every city has an independant music/ticket selling shop. You could go up and que with your reg number and book there and then. It gives the dedicated a fair chance no internet connection no page loading you physically go and camp out and wait. Also it would get people into independant  shops. So simular to how the coach ticets are now sold seperatley there would be a third option where you could go and get tickets from a shop.

It's bizarre that people think no internet connection is a thing in 2016.

I and my entire group of varying sizes has got tickets every year since 2009. This year 1 missed out, but that's down to his own disorganisation. Even though our group has always been over 4, I'd still back the group sizes being reduced to 4. Just makes it that bit easier for couples/pairs that wanted to go together. Apart from that, nothing could be done to make it 'fairer'. Especially not "loyalty sales" for people who've been before. That's an awful, selfish idea.

57 minutes ago, rumpola said:

I think they should draw a massive circle in a field, everyone gets a weapon and the last 160,000 people standing can buy a ticket.

Sort of a cross between Battle Royale and Inner-city Sumo.

I'm 100% up for this. I really reckon my chances of being in the top 50,000, at least! 

20 hours ago, Tumbleweed166 said:

I think it would be interesting if it were possible to sell a certain amount of tickets through shops.  For example there would be a specific, designated shop in each big city more than likely every city has an independant music/ticket selling shop. You could go up and que with your reg number and book there and then. It gives the dedicated a fair chance no internet connection no page loading you physically go and camp out and wait. Also it would get people into independant  shops. So simular to how the coach ticets are now sold seperatley there would be a third option where you could go and get tickets from a shop.

if you're going to form a first-come-first-served queue at a shop, you might as well do the same on an internet site - and that also eliminates the chance of tickets being spread around locations at a different proportion to the demand in those places.

The problem with a first-come-first-served queue - done anywhere - is that it equalises the chance of getting a ticket between the 'desperate to go' and those who don't mind too-much if they go or not.

While that equality is great if equality is your aim, there's also the question of what the festival thinks of having that 'equal' crowd. Would Glastonbury be a better festival if it had a greater proportion of people who don't much care if they're there or not? Or is it the great event it is in-part because of how so many of the crowd feel that connection with it?

Because of the system the festival have gone with and the effect it has on a casual attempt to buy versus a more-determined attempt to buy, it seems pretty clear that the festival didn't wish to give the more-casual attempts at getting tickets an equal chance of getting tickets with those that were more determined, while not wanting to fully-exclude casual attempts which they could have done with a different method of selling.

I reckon they've got it about right - as an average it rewards the determined but doesn't exclude the casuals. It helps keep the vibe while stopping itself becoming an insular cliquey club.

By the fact of the demand some are always going to have to lose out, and those will never feel happy about others being able to go when they can't.

8 minutes ago, SLEEPYMOPS said:

Would it not be better to scrap the deposit and you have to pay the full balance upfront. There must be lots of people who just pay the deposit and decide if they want to go nearer the time. 

Not everyone can afford to do that though, especially given how soon after the festival tickets go on sale for the next year... After the festival there are three paydays until tickets go on sale on the first Sunday of October, and for my husband and I that would be £480 we needed to save in that time based on this year's ticket prices. That is too much for us, we'd end up missing out as we don't have enough disposable income to save the whole balance in three months.

Edited by JoBalls

17 minutes ago, SLEEPYMOPS said:

Would it not be better to scrap the deposit and you have to pay the full balance upfront. There must be lots of people who just pay the deposit and decide if they want to go nearer the time. 

Sure, but these end up back in the pot. And if they end up in the secret resale that probably benefits the more determined. 

The downside to doing that is that it would affect those with less money more, which I'm sure the festival would like to avoid. Glastonbury tickets go on sale well ahead of the festival, and if someone has gone to another festival and blown any savings they might only have two months to get the money together, one month in the case of Reading/Leeds. Coach packages can cost £300, and that can be a lot of money for some people to find in a month. 

Edit: Just what JoBalls said. 

Edited by musky

I think you have to look at what the current system delivers in terms of a Glastonbury crowd and ask whether all that 'being prepared and organised' stuff actually gives us that intangible 'Glastonburyness' in the crowd. Is it fuller of people who 'get' Glastonbury now than it was when you didn't have to think too much about how to get there?

The Glastonbury I knew when I was young was actually full of people that hadn't decided whether to go or not til the last minute (sometime that last minute was on Friday or Saturday) & often people that didn't own a waterproof coat, let alone a tent (wellies/walking boots/gaiters -GAITERS!! FFS!). (Note - I have gaiters - not judging, just saying that if you've got gaiters - you've really thought about this thing)

I am a bit worried about a Glastonbury that wants to exclude people who might be too hungover to try for tickets on Sunday morning 9 months before the festival. Those people, those who kind of know they need to be on their computer at 8.30 tomorrow morning with all their friend's registrations ready, but somehow end up in a club or bar at 4am completely mullered, ARE Glastonbury people! If they have a mate that manages to get up despite the hangover, or was the 'responsible' one who went home early remembering they had to be up and with it, then good luck to them. Groups of friends have those different characters - it's what makes life interesting.

I am not sure that Glastonbury full of prepared and organised people who always prioritise forward planning & pre-existing commitments over what comes up at the last minute is really good for the festival. When you get there, Glastonbury is all about ditching your plans for what comes up at the last minute.

That said - I think the current system is about as fair as it can get.....Just that I have got over the 'it's not fair, I tried really hard and someone who didn't even get out of bed got a ticket'. Glastonbury needs a mix of of people not just the single mindedly obsessed.

37 minutes ago, amfy said:

I think you have to look at what the current system delivers in terms of a Glastonbury crowd and ask whether all that 'being prepared and organised' stuff actually gives us that intangible 'Glastonburyness' in the crowd. Is it fuller of people who 'get' Glastonbury now than it was when you didn't have to think too much about how to get there?

The Glastonbury I knew when I was young was actually full of people that hadn't decided whether to go or not til the last minute (sometime that last minute was on Friday or Saturday) & often people that didn't own a waterproof coat, let alone a tent (wellies/walking boots/gaiters -GAITERS!! FFS!). (Note - I have gaiters - not judging, just saying that if you've got gaiters - you've really thought about this thing)

I am a bit worried about a Glastonbury that wants to exclude people who might be too hungover to try for tickets on Sunday morning 9 months before the festival. Those people, those who kind of know they need to be on their computer at 8.30 tomorrow morning with all their friend's registrations ready, but somehow end up in a club or bar at 4am completely mullered, ARE Glastonbury people! If they have a mate that manages to get up despite the hangover, or was the 'responsible' one who went home early remembering they had to be up and with it, then good luck to them. Groups of friends have those different characters - it's what makes life interesting.

I am not sure that Glastonbury full of prepared and organised people who always prioritise forward planning & pre-existing commitments over what comes up at the last minute is really good for the festival. When you get there, Glastonbury is all about ditching your plans for what comes up at the last minute.

That said - I think the current system is about as fair as it can get.....Just that I have got over the 'it's not fair, I tried really hard and someone who didn't even get out of bed got a ticket'. Glastonbury needs a mix of of people not just the single mindedly obsessed.

It's one Sunday morning out of the year. There are 51 other Saturday nights to get wrecked on.

Am I right in thinking that it's Sunday morning as that's when there's the least pressure on the See servers?

40 minutes ago, amfy said:

Surely a very large number of people are trying for tickets while horribly horribly hungover. It's what, 30-40 minutes of sitting down and refreshing before you can go straight back to bed. It's a bit nauseating and unpleasant, but if you can't hack that minimum after a night out drinking, could you really hack getting on it every night at Glastonbury? Agree that it takes a lot of different people with different priorities to make life/the festival interesting, but the ticket process isn't asking THAT much of people who really want to go. Hell, you don't even have to leave your bed if you have a laptop/tablet/phone. 

45 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Am I right in thinking that it's Sunday morning as that's when there's the least pressure on the See servers?

Close - originally, it was moved to Sunday Morning 9am as a concession to BT - in 2004 the sale took place at 8pm on a Thursday evening, and was also the first year that all tickets were sold by a single company so everyone was trying the same website and same number - the website was a disaster so loads of people were trying on the phone, and it basically it caused the Nottingham telephone exchange to melt down - as the sale took about 24 hours to complete it was still causing problems well into the next day. So starting with 2005 onwards it's been on Sunday 9am.

Since phone sales no longer exist, that reason doesn't really hold true any more so theoretically they could move it to any time they wanted.