Gate A

Anderson19

3 hours ago, Anderson19 said:

Looking to arrive around 10am onwards this year. Do the queues remain long at gate a all day morning from the car park side?

The google earth image was taken between 10 and 11am on the Wednesday of 2014 - I know this as my tent is pitched :D

The que doesnt look very long at all on there- - I went out to the car about 12 last year and there wasnt a que to speak of at all by then!

I bloody love that google image - they're filling up the field I was parked in so its just as I'm arriving. I can lose many a minute just zooming in and out on fields and seeing where's rammed and where's still got space, it's brilliant for nerdy twats who like to consider all their camping possibilities (um, me)

6 hours ago, stuwilky said:

The google earth image was taken between 10 and 11am on the Wednesday of 2014 - I know this as my tent is pitched :D

The que doesnt look very long at all on there- - I went out to the car about 12 last year and there wasnt a que to speak of at all by then!

Stu, got a link to the Google Earth thing? I wanna be a nerdy twat too :-)

Edited by Perks
Spelling...

3 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I bloody love that google image - they're filling up the field I was parked in so its just as I'm arriving. I can lose many a minute just zooming in and out on fields and seeing where's rammed and where's still got space, it's brilliant for nerdy twats who like to consider all their camping possibilities (um, me)

Not like you......  :D

If this doesnt work just find Pilton on maps.google.co.uk and swop it to Satellite view.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pilton,+Shepton+Mallet,+Somerset/@51.1562182,-2.588206,1207m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4872234879b7a5db:0xd05fc2ae5151fc35!8m2!3d51.1657253!4d-2.589688

PS - 9 sleeps til gates........ and I'll be there this time next week!!

10 hours ago, Anderson19 said:

Looking to arrive around 10am onwards this year. Do the queues remain long at gate a all day morning from the car park side?

Last year we had quite a big queue...arrived at 9am and people did join behind me... When we did our second run, much quieter...

here a funny little story for ya ..

we arrived on tue at about 12pm a few years back and at about 3pm [ im in disabled car park ] we had a friend with us who we drove up but she had to go in through gate A and meet up with my sons group who were heading up later

we sat ourselves down RIGHT outside gate A first in que we thought great it was drinking we were lol we chatted with the security and everything .we did wander why there was only us a about 10 other people behind us tho then at about 6pm when they change over the shifts we were told that we were in the wrong place lol we had to move round to the carpark field and low and behold we def we NOT the first in the que lol we were well down the que ..it was cool tho altho we stayed with our friend till my son arrived at 3/4am then we walked over to the disabled part and sat down there till 8am BUT WE WERE FIRST in that que we were just knackered lol

BUT we never left her by herself ...you dont do you ..you look out for your friends especially if shes a girl ..well we do ....you never leave one of your own behind ..

3 hours ago, Peroni said:

Last year we had quite a big queue...arrived at 9am and people did join behind me... When we did our second run, much quieter...

What time did you get through the gates after arriving at the gate A queue for 9?

Usually arrive during the night but really can't be bothered with it this year.

Thanks for all the other replies.

Checking back thru our what's app I took a picture at the gate at 12:05.

So a reasonable length of time.

The problem with A is that as well as car park traffic you get the coaches / bus drop offs dumping a lot of people as well so the Q at peak is inevitable.

As we always do two runs and depending on which car park we are in we are going to go without / minimal stuff whilst Qing. Then as soon as we are banded go back out and in via the pass out lane.

12 hours ago, mattiosmith said:

I'm on a train that arrives at 1030 which i'm guessing is peak time so should be interesting! Just hope it's not raining :blink:

not really by the time you have caught the shuttle from Castle cary which will involve a small queue , the main festival queue should be getting smaller , hopefully !!

There's never been much of a queue at gate A in my experience. The only time I've really queued is when we arrived about 7.30am but even then it moved very quickly.

I have never come in another gate though, so I have no comparison. I have never stood still if that helps at all?

12 hours ago, mattiosmith said:

I'm on a train that arrives at 1030 which i'm guessing is peak time so should be interesting! Just hope it's not raining :blink:

Train is worse than arriving by coach in terms of queuing. You'll be stuck in a queue at Castle Cary to wait for a shuttle bus. Once the shuttle bus leaves you've still got a half hour or so journey and then joining the queue at the gate (which again, is never that bad from my experience). 

I've had short waits, and long waits (but if you are in a group chatting it isnt really a huge wait), and none I would ever describe as horrendous queues. The longest is probably when you join the back of the queue before the gates open on the Wednesday. There is a lot of stopping and starting, with a lot of gear and with peoples trollies breaking apart in front of you, it can get a bit of a pain, but you'll soon forget the queue once in and popping your tent up. Once the flow starts picking up from the initial wave of first opening, its quite efficient on all gates. I have entered through a number of gates over the years, and they are all very much the same.