Is it possible to pack light?

McCor

Evening all! This year I'm planning on taking far less than last year, but finding it difficult to decide what to omit from the rucksack.

Anyone on here have tips for packing light? It will help that there are more of us going, but I want to go with my rucksack on my back, tent in my hands, and not much else if I can.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, McCor said:

Anyone on here have tips for packing light? It will help that there are more of us going, but I want to go with my rucksack on my back, tent in my hands, and not much else if I can.

To be honest, the best tip is to buy lightweight kit to start with. As a really obvious example, take a Helinox style chair instead of a 5 quid from asda chair. Every time I buy anything for Glastonbury, how much it weighs / how much space it takes up is carefully considered and factored against whatever it replaces - almost down to each gram. The problem is that often lightweight kit can end up costing a bit more.

Apart from the Tent, everything I take will comfortably fit into a 75l rucksack and I don't feel I'm compromising at all - I probably bring more functional kit than I did 10 years ago but with far less bulk and weight.

Wear your biggest footwear, and pack the smallest

spirits, not beer/cider 

you only need one decent hoody/jumper, and one proper (waterproof) coat

One pair of shorts and one trousers is fine

4x clean undies, socks and tshirts will do (probably!) 

Rolled up jumper for a pillow (though I'd never do that, I love bringing a proper pillow)

suntan lotion, deodorant, toothbrush/toothpaste, wet wipes, alcohol gel is all that's crucial in a toiletry bag (if you're me) 

I take a 30L rucksack. In it I have 1 jumper, 3 t shirts, couple of collared shirts, socks, boxers and toiletries. I wear my jacket and wrap a hoody round me on the journey up. I also have a Guardian shoulder bag with snacks and a few cans of beer. I put my wet weather trousers in my tent bag and wear my wellies there with trainers tied to my rucksack.

I might go for a bigger bag this year but to be honest, I have packed this way for Glastonbury for years and it works well for me.

i'm going for this this year around... i've definitely got more stuff over the past few years:

• Every year, I take too many clothes - going to be strict as this year... 
  • I've given up drinking - to reduce my alcohol tolerances until the festival
  • Cutting down on tent food - will be easy to get to camp, but also force me out of the tent a lot earlier...
  • I have also used a vacumn bag past few years inside my kit bag (its good as its like a liner, so waterproof but also saves space by squashing everything!)

will let you know how this goes!

Thanks for the tips. Less clothes for sure, and I'll buy food and drink on site anyway. I have a lighter tent this year, and a smaller bag. Arriving at 2pm on a scorching Thursday was not fun last year with so much weight!

Strictly essentials this year!!

38 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Good thread. I'm dreading going by public transport for the first time. I'm used to getting stuff on site in bits.

Good list balti but have to question the above though. What if they both get soaked? Speaking of which add a towel to your list.

6 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Good thread. I'm dreading going by public transport for the first time. I'm used to getting stuff on site in bits.

Yep, NE coach again this year.

The walk even from the coaches, when it's hot, and can't find a spot, wasn't fun.

Fill the car up with things you may need, only take in with you what you really need. Then if something comes up where you need something that you did not initially bring in with you, walk back to the car for it.

You may end up having to take more things back at the end than you initially brought in, but you will also be minus the heavy beer that you 1st took in.

Last year I left my big coat, trousers and the spare stuff in the car. It worked a treat.

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Fill the car up with things you may need, only take in with you what you really need. Then if something comes up where you need something that you did not initially bring in with you, walk back to the car for it.

You may end up having to take more things back at the end than you initially brought in, but you will also be minus the heavy beer that you 1st took in.

Last year I left my big coat, trousers and the spare stuff in the car. It worked a treat.

I think the original poster is going to Glasto by coach, so bringing extra stuff and leaving it in the car is not an option, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, JanieM28 said:

I think the original poster is going to Glasto by coach, so bringing extra stuff and leaving it in the car is not an option, unfortunately.

Ah fair enough. Makes perfect sense really to keep everything to a minimum then.

5 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Good list balti but have to question the above though. What if they both get soaked? Speaking of which add a towel to your list.

If they're of that light swishy material (technical term, I know!) then they'll easily dry overnight, and be fine for the next day. I wouldn't bring jeans or anything that'll hold water - too heavy, soggy, impractical. And yeah a towel is always necessary, Douglas Adams said so :lol:

Last year I took a change of shirt, undercrackers and socks per day, pair of jeans, pair of shorts, couple of litres of rum, tent, sleeping bag and mat.  It was the best I've ever managed to pack, very little weight and more importantly there was nothing I took back unused.

9 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Wear your biggest footwear, and pack the smallest

spirits, not beer/cider 

you only need one decent hoody/jumper, and one proper (waterproof) coat

4x clean undies, socks and tshirts will do (probably!) 

Rolled up jumper for a pillow (though I'd never do that, I love bringing a proper pillow)

suntan lotion, deodorant, toothbrush/toothpaste, wet wipes, alcohol gel is all that's crucial in a toiletry bag (if you're me) 

Wish I could bring so little, I'm very embarrassed to say that I have ten pairs of trousers/leggings on my packing list, I know that's far too many, but I can't help it. 
Charm x

I've been doing some weight training so my arms and back are nice and toned and much stronger - women tend to avoid it because they think that it will make them bulky, but that isn't the case as we don't have as much testosterone as the guys to build big muscles. Anyway that's one of my ways to make the trek a bit easier and hopefully lessen the backache.

I bought a pair of wellies a few years ago that are as comfy as walking boots. I stick in a new pair of gel insoles each year and they're the only footwear I bring.

Any time I see mini versions of toiletries throughout the year I grab them. Primark near the tills is often a good spot for some micro Nivea! I have a bag solely for festival stuff that I drop these things into, makes it a lot easier come packing time to find everything.

If you intend to wash, get a microfibre travel towel. Mine is bath towel sized and folds down to about 1x4 inches, it's also super absorbent compared to a normal towel and dries out really quickly.

I rip out the sealed perfume strips from my magazines throughout the year and throw a few in my toiletry bag. A different perfume to use every day and virtually no weight/space compared to lugging perfume bottles.

Edited by EIaine
Spelling

just get hella jacked then you can bring as much as you want

really though the best thing to do is abandon tins of drink, the weight to enjoyment ratio is way off, bags of wine/cider are much better, plus some spirits for later

or drugs, the weight to enjoyment ratio is perfect for a festival