Is it possible to pack light?

McCor

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you NEED are bottles of spirits, drugs, clothes, tent, fancy dress and something to sleep on. Anything else is a luxury, which you can either buy inside or do without.

My days of lugging crates of beer, mixers, food, stove etc are behind me now. Far too much grief and pain, and I never eat all the food anyway. Plus the food at G is so good anyway, it seems a bit silly missing out for another tin of Bovril cooked by the tent in the rain.

Edited by big__phil

The microfibre towel tip is a good one.  They dry in no time, weigh nothing and pack small.

Clothes wise, again if you get the right fabrics they are light, pack small, and dry quick if you get wet.  Hiking trousers with zip off bottoms are great for this.  I take one pair of these and a couple of pairs of shorts.  Fleeces are warmer, lighter and pack smaller than cotton hoodies.  Dry much quicker too.  In fact anything cotton based (inc. denim) is bulky/heavy and will waterlog easy so keep cottons to a minimum.

Don't bother taking cooking stuff for camp.  Get out for meals and hot drinks.

Have managed to perfect my festival packing these days, can get everything (including tent!) into a 75+10l bag if needed including a fair few 'luxuries'.

My tips (mostly already covered)

• Get a decent rucksack and adjust it to fit - makes a big difference to how easy it is to carry stuff in the first place
  • Buy lightweight kit - more costly but tends to last longer than the cheap and cheerful stuff
  • Only take shorts - add leggings or longjohns if you get cold in the evening, lightweight and quick drying
  • Walking boots - no need for any other footwear unless its gonna be a washout
  • Food/cooking stuff - don't bother unless in a large group (share the weight) or on an extreme budget
  • Layer up warm clothes - I take a light jumper, a hoodie and a waterproof, have found this combo to cover all temperatures
  • No more than one set of clothes (top, underwear) per day
  • Don't take things you 'might' use, if you do end up needing something you can always buy on site
  • Drugs > Spirits > Boxed wine/cider > Cans

Driving again this year so will still be taking a trolley + cases of beer/cider but could quite happily do the coach or train, just add a couple more bottles of spirits to replace the tins.

I say it every year but still can't manage to pack light. I've realised that the rucksack itself can make so much difference.

I splashed out on an Opsrey rucksack and even though it fills the same as my cheap one, it somehow fits in so much more and weighs next to nothing. 

Not taking any cans this year just spirits, partly because Im taking the coach but mostly because my back is ruined. 

using an actual rucksack makes a massive difference, I can't believe how many festivals I did with terrible bags only to find I had a proper rucksack in my parents loft from my old scout days, life has been much better ever since

you can skimp on many clothes I only take shorts, t-shirts, 1 hoody and a poncho

what ever you do, don't skimp on clean socks

Although my rucksack is smaller this year, to encourage me to take less, it's a far better one than last year (invested in a Berghous), and lighter. I'm opting for 2 pairs of shorts, 5 tshirts / vests, one jumper, and socks etc per day. Poncho, pack away water proof trousers. 

18 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

I'd love to just turn up in the clothes I'm standing in. It'd be nice to be able to afford to do that...

Technically (and if you had the money and the balls - so to speak) you could turn up naked carrying just your ticket and a debit card.  I believe everything else you could get on site!

If you've bought a decent rucksack, adjust it so it fits properly. Use the waist strap to transfer the weight to your hips. Use the chest strap, it will stop your shoulders being pulled back and make it easier to breathe. So many times I see girls struggling in with giant rucksacks just on their shoulders.

3 minutes ago, timbrass said:

Technically (and if you had the money and the balls - so to speak) you could turn up naked carrying just your ticket and a debit card.  I believe everything else you could get on site!

You could! I don't have that level of balls although I do like the idea of a gang of Glastonbury virgins queuing behind this big stark bollock naked bloke and thinking "hmm I don't remember this happening at V". But yes, the clothes I'm standing in, pick up tent, sleeping bag, clothes and anything else there, enjoying the best of the food and drink going, no worrying about packing or owt.

As for the actual question, I and some of my mates have been at very opposite ends of the packing scale from time to time. My second festival (Leeds 2001) I figured I wanted to pack lightly, so lightly that I left half my tent at home. Oops. One of my mates turned up to V2007 literally with the clothes she was standing in and a bottle of JD. The same mate turned up to Glastonbury 2010 with everything. Loads of cans, bbq, dry shampoo, airbed, sun lotion - all the hallmarks of the professional camper. 

52 minutes ago, timbrass said:

Now you're talking!