Green Crafts

Larraht

Hello,

I want to try and do some things which I haven't got around to at previous Glastonbury visits and one of these is to make something to take away from Green fields. Has anyone done this before, like make a spoon or a ring or whatever? How much roughly was it and how long did it take? On the website it does say that I could book in from 10am on Wednesday onwards so maybe that's the day to do it before I get too involved with cider and the like?

We've done some craft on the Thursday for the last couple of year, last year we printed our own cards, cost a couple of quid I think. I made a leather purse, which was about £10 two years ago cost depends entirely on how big the thing you want to make is. They do other things too, rings, wristbands etc.

Whether you need to book depends entirely on the how many people the stall can cope with at once, how long it takes and how many people want to do it. Some of the crafts take a two or three hours and those you have to book in advance as they can only cope with a small number of people at once. We did the leather thing and the postcards, as they were just turn up and go type options and didn't take long, the printing was about 10 mins, the leather about half an hour.

12 minutes ago, sophlamb said:

I would like to make a ring this year. Does anyone know how you go about booking in?

Just go and talk to the people who are running the tent for thing you want to make, everyone is rather  lovely in this area, you will have a great time. 
Charm x

Edited by Charm

Just now, Charm said:

Just go and talk to the people who are running the tent for thing you want to make, everyone is rather lovely. 
Charm x

Thank you ^_^ Maybe I'll start my festival with a wander around the Green Crafts Fields then!

Love the crafts area and I've made "something" 4/5 of the years I've been.

Especially on the Thursday it can get quite busy, so if you have a burning desire to make something particularly, get down reasonably early and book yourself a slot. It's a lot quieter during the days the music is on, although the more popular stalls such as glass blowing are usually booked up for the whole festival. 

It is often a pretty lengthy process, as the stalls can be quite busy. I've spent 5 hours there before making something. Prices range from £5 to about £25 for the smaller items usually. Speaking to the stalls, I don't think they make much money and it seems to be more for enjoyment. Everything seems really reasonably price when you consider the amount of time they spend with you. 

50 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

I don't think they make much money and it seems to be more for enjoyment. Everything seems really reasonably price when you consider the amount of time they spend with you. 

Agree, I think they are pretty much just about covering material costs, certainly I've seen similar activities elsewhere for much higher costs, at least there doesn't seem to be a massive festival price hike going.

Great!! My birthday falls the week after Glastonbury so my lovely husband has agreed I can choose anything I want to make and he will cough up as a present. Would love to do a ring but will make a bee line for Green Fields once in an see what catches my eye. I do love the area and each year get a little more involved it seems - first year I just sort of pottered around, last year I got some Henna done and ate Pakora with the guys in Permaculture, this year I want a momento!

7 hours ago, Festival Liam said:

Love the crafts area and I've made "something" 4/5 of the years I've been.

Especially on the Thursday it can get quite busy, so if you have a burning desire to make something particularly, get down reasonably early and book yourself a slot. It's a lot quieter during the days the music is on, although the more popular stalls such as glass blowing are usually booked up for the whole festival. 

It is often a pretty lengthy process, as the stalls can be quite busy. I've spent 5 hours there before making something. Prices range from £5 to about £25 for the smaller items usually. Speaking to the stalls, I don't think they make much money and it seems to be more for enjoyment. Everything seems really reasonably price when you consider the amount of time they spend with you. 

The glass blowing sounds quite fun. Do you know what kind of things you make with the glass? 

My daughter made a ring in 2014 and it was great fun. We added a bit extra cash than the lovely lady asked for as she was fantastic and couldn't have been making any profit. Highly recommended and my daughter has a daily Glastonbury reminder. 

1 hour ago, NoBallGames said:

The glass blowing sounds quite fun. Do you know what kind of things you make with the glass? 

It's a glass ball with a loop on the top, a bit like a bauble. Think it costs £20 and they post it to you so you don't smash it.