Theatre and circus line up

siblin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Don't forget Mitch Benn at Avalon too.

goodness only knows i've tried.  i've gone to some lengths too; the fast forward button on my podcast player is set to one minute specifically so i can move past his section on the Now Show with great ease.  unfunny jokes don't become funny jokes by being set to a britpop kareoke backing track.

(i'm not a fan :D )

Edited by fatyeti24

29 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

goodness only knows i've tried.  i've gone to some lengths too; the fast forward button on my podcast player is set to one minute specifically so i can move past his section on the Now Show with great ease.  unfunny jokes don't become funny jokes by being set to a britpop kareoke backing track.

Ahh well best ignore me then!:) To be honest I've only seen him a couple of times at The Comedy Store and I thought he was pretty good. Saying that the last time was a few years ago so maybe he's not worth seeing now. I won't be going out of my way to watch him but just thought I'd mention it as part of the comedy discussion.

Shaun.

Last year I went to the Circus as a kind of 'filler' between acts, and ended up staying for a couple of hours of brilliant entertainment. I will very possibly do the same again this year - so the line up for it is not quite as important for me as others, as I tend to view it as more of a 'bimble' venue - i.e. I'll be quite happy to see whatever/whoever is on at the time I feel like popping into the tent. It's unlikely I'll view any of the circus or theatre acts as something I must see.

So my recommendation would be don't rule out a visit just because circus/theatre isn't your thing, you might be surprised!

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

I totally agree. Mrs Two Hats and I have a special hatred for his bad jokes set to mediocre music. It's the likes of him that give musical comedy a bad name.

He seems to be the sort who doesn't seem to think it's worth putting any effort into the songs because it's only comedy. As if writing a decent song would undermine the jokes.

My favourite area of the festival. Start the day with a read of the paper and a breakfast at Children's World cafe; watch some acts on Sensation Seekers and enjoy the walk about acts too. Then at night the circus and comedy tent, and bit of Mavericks 

Weekend isn't complete without catching Herbie Treehead song Happy Song either

6 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

Have you seen him other than on the Now Show? He writes three songs a week for that, for around 25 weeks of the year. Most of them are a bit naff. Maybe one a year makes the live set/album. I think he's brilliant but on the Now Show is totally awful.

5 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Last year I went to the Circus as a kind of 'filler' between acts, and ended up staying for a couple of hours of brilliant entertainment. I will very possibly do the same again this year - so the line up for it is not quite as important for me as others, as I tend to view it as more of a 'bimble' venue - i.e. I'll be quite happy to see whatever/whoever is on at the time I feel like popping into the tent. It's unlikely I'll view any of the circus or theatre acts as something I must see.

So my recommendation would be don't rule out a visit just because circus/theatre isn't your thing, you might be surprised!

It's well worth checking out the 'headline' act at the Circus, as they tend to be a cut above everything else. And are normally on about 6-7pm so don't clash with music headliners. I spent much time last year encouraging people to go see La Soiree because they really were a big deal. Not just in the circus world, but in "people pay £80 for ringside tickets to their London shows and they sell out month-long residencies" way.

36 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Have you seen him other than on the Now Show? He writes three songs a week for that, for around 25 weeks of the year. Most of them are a bit naff. Maybe one a year makes the live set/album. I think he's brilliant but on the Now Show is totally awful.

Yes, I know him pretty much solely from the Nowwwww Shooowwwwwwwww.  I have to admit I saw him as a talking head on a music documentary and he didn't seem totally shit.

Maybe I'll check out one of his albums.  

4 hours ago, DAVA said:

I love this part of the festival, lots of whacky acts every year. :)

Yeah me too. Spends loads of time here, always something crazy going on.

chuffed with the cabaret line up too. Ross Noble is a highlight for me. If you can see Joe Lycett, he's awesome. I'm gonna have to try and stay away as I'm seeing him in July.

10 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I spent much time last year encouraging people to go see La Soiree because they really were a big deal. Not just in the circus world, but in "people pay £80 for ringside tickets to their London shows and they sell out month-long residencies" way.

London's obviously different to Edinburgh, but it's been a while since La Soiree / La Clique have done boffo box office at the Fringe.  These days they're more likely to be on at the Half Price Hut.

I reckn booking the Cabaret tent is the easiest job in the world, pretty much. Look at last years bookings, cross off anybody who's died, go through the Rolodex. 15 mins, max.

Wish they'd take a few more chances and get some new blood in. 

Indeed.  Pretty telling that most of the responses in this thread are people looking forward to seeing the same acts that they usually see - Ince / Brigstocke / Benn / Hardy / Jupitus.

I mean, I like The Actor Kevin Eldon as much as the next man, but he's hardly the world's most prolific writer, so it's....what?...more Paul Hamilton / Poet's Tree stuff.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Indeed.  Pretty telling that most of the responses in this thread are people looking forward to seeing the same acts that they usually see - Ince / Brigstocke / Benn / Hardy / Jupitus.

I mean, I like The Actor Kevin Eldon as much as the next man, but he's hardly the world's most prolific writer, so it's....what?...more Paul Hamilton / Poet's Tree stuff.

Rather Paul Hamilton than that ropey stuff he does with a guitar about not having a catchphrase and the problems with different audio formats for playing music.

I saw his one man show at the Fringe a few years back (Possibly at the Stand), and it was OK, bit manic and desperate to please for me, in all honesty, but some of it was pretty good.

However I've never seen him do any new material since, whenever I've seen him on TV, at festivals etc. Just parts of that set. Don't realy feel the need to go and see him again.

15 hours ago, sparkythetortoise said:

And a lovely person too - had a chat with her after her show and she was really charming. A life affirming show, no less

seconded such a lovely human she did a guest slot at a writing retreat i was last winter .will be at this if theres no major clashes

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

I reckn booking the Cabaret tent is the easiest job in the world, pretty much. Look at last years bookings, cross off anybody who's died, go through the Rolodex. 15 mins, max.

Wish they'd take a few more chances and get some new blood in. 

It cycles a bit. Josh Widdecombe, Shazia Mirza and Joe Lycett have all been added over the past few years. Tom Binns, Matt Richardson, Jess Robinson, Alex Edelman, Alasdair Beckett-King also acts new in the past couple of years, though don't know if they're on this year. I do wish they cycled more, it's kind of a weird place to be as there's essentially a lot of people who have played every year for a long time, and sort of expect it, and that's the way they get festival tickets... not booking them would potentially piss them off a fair bit.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Well the acts on the poster are the bigger acts, that tend to be the ones that have played before. When the full list is out I'll flag up my recommendations from the acts most of you won't have heard of.