James Blake

Hutchmaster

OK, so I acknowledge that I'm a bit late to the JB party, having previously not given him enough of my attention properly to see if I liked him...

...and I know that as a result of that The Colour In Anything has had much more attention than the other two...

...but I'm going to say here that it's his best record.

I'm even beginning to feel that it isn't actually too long...and I'm old enough to believe that any record with more than 11-12 tracks is a double album!

There, I said it. It's his best record.

Discuss.

:)

Ben

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the album's good but definitely could've been cut down a few tracks, which for me is what's holding it back from being truly great, and i do struggle to make it to the end on most listens. haven't had enough listens through yet to say which tracks should be cut, but 75 minutes is just too long for an album of such a constant slow tempo

also i wonder what happened to this supposed 20+ minute song he mentioned a month or so back (when he also said the album was 18 songs long). assuming he realised having a 95 minute long album with a 20 minute song was just a step too far

bit gutted i'll be missing him at the festival, but i doubt i'll be wondering if it's any good when i'm wherever i am at the time (probably Adele)

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

the album's good but definitely could've been cut down a few tracks, which for me is what's holding it back from being truly great, and i do struggle to make it to the end on most listens. haven't had enough listens through yet to say which tracks should be cut, but 75 minutes is just too long for an album of such a constant slow tempo

also i wonder what happened to this supposed 20+ minute song he mentioned a month or so back (when he also said the album was 18 songs long). assuming he realised having a 95 minute long album with a 20 minute song was just a step too far

bit gutted i'll be missing him at the festival, but i doubt i'll be wondering if it's any good when i'm wherever i am at the time (probably Adele)

Adele? You, FF? Really?

Make sure you've still got that seventh pill ready...!

It's the consistently slow tempo that has always stopped me from giving JB enough of my time. However, with a bit of investment, the sheer quality of his songs have been a bit of a revelation to me on TCIA. There are so many ideas in each one. Like you, I'd probably have been happier with 5-6 fewer tracks. But, like you, even after lots of listening, I'm not sure which they are. Saturday night. Sorted.

Ben

Radio Silence

Love Me Whatever Way

Timeless

Forever

Waves Know Shores

My Willing Heart

Choose Me

I Need a Forest Fire

The Colour in Anything

Two Men Down

Modern Soul

Always

Meet you in the Maze

Id say all these tracks are lock ins. The rest dont do anything for me. Which ever so slightly takes some of the glisten off the record as a whole. Each one of these tracks however is wonderful.

Edited by T-Mouse

My relationship with James Blake is strange - I like all his recorded stuff, he's never put out a track that I've thought is in any way poor, but I just can't get on with him live. Seen him a couple of times now and it just doesn't do it for me, which is a shame. 

Definitely agree on the too long thing. 

Also unlikely that I'll go to see him on WH, but only because I've seen him before.

I think that the track he produced for Beyonce's new album might just be better than most of his new album (although I've only heard it once on Gilles Peterson, whilst i was driving).

4 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Definitely agree on the too long thing. 

Also unlikely that I'll go to see him on WH, but only because I've seen him before.

I think that the track he produced for Beyonce's new album might just be better than most of his new album (although I've only heard it once on Gilles Peterson, whilst i was driving).

What's your current plan for Saturday night, Junglo?

Ben

13 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

What's your current plan for Saturday night, Junglo?

Ben

It's looking increasingly Adele shaped...

Others in my group are very excited about seeing her, and I'm really curious to see how she gets on to be honest.

Very much depends on the full line up of course, and who knows what I'll actually decide to do on the day when I'm a little bit fucked!

3 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Others in my group are very excited about seeing her, and I'm really curious to see how she gets on to be honest.

Very much depends on the full line up of course, and who knows what I'll actually decide to do on the day when I'm a little bit fucked!

And all is explained...!

Ben

On 5/19/2016 at 8:25 AM, Junglist1981 said:

exactly how im feeling. What type of crowd (size wise?) do you think James Blake will pull vs adele on the sat night? I will prob end up at adele just to see how she gets along also tbh.

My preference for Saturday headliner at the moment

1. New Order 

2. James Blake

3. Whoever's on at The Park 

4. Whoever's on the John Peel

5. Wandering about aimlessly drinking rum and eating falafel 

6. Getting stuck in a long drop

7. Pablo Honey 

8. Going along to see how Adele gets on 

13 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

My preference for Saturday headliner at the moment

1. New Order 

2. James Blake

3. Whoever's on at The Park 

4. Whoever's on the John Peel

5. Wandering about aimlessly drinking rum and eating falafel 

6. Getting stuck in a long drop

7. Pablo Honey 

8. Going along to see how Adele gets on 

My preference from Saturday night

1) New Order

2) Go Home

8 hours ago, TiZuff said:

exactly how im feeling. What type of crowd (size wise?) do you think James Blake will pull vs adele on the sat night? I will prob end up at adele just to see how she gets along also tbh.

I reckon he'll pull a really good crowd, especially if New Order are playing the Other as there will be plenty of folk under 35 who aren't bothered about either them or Adele. 

41 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

I reckon he'll pull a really good crowd, especially if New Order are playing the Other as there will be plenty of folk under 35 who aren't bothered about either them or Adele. 

I turn 35 on July 1st, this must be why I'm struggling to choose between New Order and James Blake on the Saturday 

13 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I turn 35 on July 1st, this must be why I'm struggling to choose between New Order and James Blake on the Saturday 

Here is one thing to help you decide, James Blake will play Glastonbury again where as this will be New Orders last time.

5 minutes ago, OBface said:

Take this back. LOVE the new the album. Absolute must see now. 

Definitely a must see for me too. I was disappointed to learn M83 are probably on at the same time, despite their new album not being great I'd have liked to have seen them, but no missing James Blake 

I wouldn't agree that it's 'nothing' because it can be very powerful at times, but he could really do with collaborating with other singers a bit more. No shame in it. He's a fantastic producer and his voice as a counterpoint to another rather than the whole of the song would make things a bit easier to digest. All the collabs I can remember him doing have been good too.

Edited by dentalplan

• 1 year later...

Was on another planet for this one and yeah it was a great set. James Blake was utterly sublime from start to finish. Some great guest appearances too. I remember being a bit wavy and not being able to believe it when Justin Vernon came out.

6 minutes ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

Just wanted to bring back this thread to discuss how fucking good he was on WH last year - easily in my top 5 ever sets.

I remember feeling like the whole field was moving with bass during limit to your love. What a set

That bass was absolutely crazy. My whole body felt like it was going to turn into a bass amp. The set felt pretty intimate as well with most people watching Adele