EE power bars are no more

VolumetricFox

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/06/rip-ee-power-bar-chargers/

"Our EE Power Bar promotion had a hugely positive response from our customers, however after careful consideration we've decided not to bring it back. We still sell a wide range of chargers and power packs to keep our customer connected. We'll share news shortly about ways to stay connected at Glastonbury and the summer festival season, as well as some exciting new loyalty offers throughout the summer."

Wouldn't it be nice if they could bite the bullet and get rid of the big 'chill & charge' tents - freeing up some space for more bars or stages, and actually forcing people to get out and enjoy the festival rather than queueing/sitting watching their phones recharge?  If people want/need a fully charged phone, there are plenty of other solutions out there (the cheap Nokia, the Anker battery block) that will do the job without taking up valuable festival time!

I was looking at Cosy Camper to pick up some bedding on-site and noticed they do battery pack swapping.  I don't know what the queues will be like, but since it's a small place I'd expect them to be small.

http://www.cosycamper.co.uk/product/weekend-hire-mobile-power-bank-rechargere/#.VyyZkfkrK70

Personally, I'm not going to use the, since the batteries are similarly small to the EE bars (2800mAh) and only output 1A, so will take ages to charge up; they reckon about 4 hours.

Seems very similar to the EE bars really.

I've used one of these for years. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F5Q4F0U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For anyone purchasing, its the mAh number you're looking for, that one is 22,400mAh which easily covers the whole 5 days.  You see some costing more, but only 2,000 mAh.

The bigger the number the better.

Edited by nodolphie
clarification on number

6 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

Wouldn't it be nice if they could bite the bullet and get rid of the big 'chill & charge' tents - freeing up some space for more bars or stages, and actually forcing people to get out and enjoy the festival rather than queueing/sitting watching their phones recharge?  If people want/need a fully charged phone, there are plenty of other solutions out there (the cheap Nokia, the Anker battery block) that will do the job without taking up valuable festival time!

I just went and exchanged my power bar for a fully charged new one and then went about my business enjoying the festival as my phone charged in my bag.

Was pretty fucking good if you ask me!

Just now, Junglist1981 said:

The EE tents are so jarring to look at/into compared with the more organic nature of the rest of the festival.

Looks shouldn't be that relevant in my opinion, especially when its a handful of tents out of countless tents. Having a charged phone is nice, if only to help mates who have split up to see different bands meet again.

3 minutes ago, Stooonami said:

I just went and exchanged my power bar for a fully charged new one and then went about my business enjoying the festival as my phone charged in my bag.

Was pretty fucking good if you ask me!

I wasn't talking about the power bar exchange - more the big tents where people queued/sat for ages waiting for their phones to charge in real time.  I never saw the attraction...

1 minute ago, BluePaul said:

I wasn't talking about the power bar exchange - more the big tents where people queued/sat for ages waiting for their phones to charge in real time.  I never saw the attraction...

That was part of the same thing... it was for people who hadnt signed up for power bars and needed to charge their phone.

The one I posted i've had for ~2 years and its great value and large capacity.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F5Q4F0U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you do get a cheaper one with less capacity though, the lockups will recharge your battery pack as well as your phone - but do donate if you're able.

1 minute ago, danbailey80 said:

Can anyone recommend a good charger pack for phones? something I can keep in the tent so doesn't have to be very small

See nodolphie's reply above, but anything 'Anker' would be good.  All over Amazon/eBay (other online retailers are available...)

5 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Looks shouldn't be that relevant in my opinion, especially when its a handful of tents out of countless tents. Having a charged phone is nice, if only to help mates who have split up to see different bands meet again.

Got nothing against people charging their phones at all, each to their own etc and all that

The EE tents needn't look so horrible though. It's pretty much the only bit of high street that has crept into the festival and it stands out like a sore thumb. They need to chill out a bit.

13 minutes ago, nodolphie said:

The one I posted i've had for ~2 years and its great value and large capacity.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F5Q4F0U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you do get a cheaper one with less capacity though, the lockups will recharge your battery pack as well as your phone - but do donate if you're able.

Cheers for info. Is the  mAh  the only factor? Or do some charge quicker etc? does this seem good? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012V9H3WA?psc=1

Edited by danbailey80

31 minutes ago, nodolphie said:

I've used one of these for years. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F5Q4F0U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For anyone purchasing, its the mAh number you're looking for, that one is 22,400mAh which easily covers the whole 5 days.  You see some costing more, but only 2,000 mAh.

The bigger the number the better.

I've got this which I use back at the tent for a longer charge. I've also got another EC Tech 13000 mAh one which is small enough to carry around in my bag. Kept two iphones charged from Tues night til arriving home Monday evening in 2014 and there was still charge left. Never seen the point in queuing when these packs are so cheap.

Honest phone question, do you guys feel comfortable taking your smart phones giving the dangers of wet, mud and your general fuckedness over the weekend?

I normally take an old nokia thing, but the hassle of getting a new sim each year plus the proliferation of decent chargers is swaying me toward the dark side...

The one thing that really puts me off from taking my iphone is that I quite enjoy having a few days away from the internet and cut off from the outside world.

18 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Cheers for info. Is the  mAh  the only factor? Or do some charge quicker etc? does this seem good? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012V9H3WA?psc=1

As mentioned the amps matter, mostly if you're charging a tablet or giant phone, 5.5A is fine for anything.  2.1Amps for iPad.

It's a shame they aren't doing this again this year, was really handy! More for finding friends and making sure they all have charge incase you get lost. I like having a phone to write down or follow on Twitter the bands I'd never heard of that I stumbled upon while I was there. Plus having a  phone to keep up to speed with the secret glasto Twitter was so handy! I'd recommend following it for anyone that isn't saw some amazing secret sets thanks to that! 

2 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Honest phone question, do you guys feel comfortable taking your smart phones giving the dangers of wet, mud and your general fuckedness over the weekend?

I normally take an old nokia thing, but the hassle of getting a new sim each year plus the proliferation of decent chargers is swaying me toward the dark side...

The one thing that really puts me off from taking my iphone is that I quite enjoy having a few days away from the internet and cut off from the outside world.

I have a pretty impressive case on my smart phone which although makes it feel like a brick does protect it from the inevitable Glastonbury bumps and scrapes. I think mine's called survivor or something like that