Jump to content
Sawdusty Surfer

Lost Vagueness... the story

Recommended Posts

Don't know if any long time posters will remember this, but after Glastonbury 2007 i posted a thread under a pseudonym Blimbus explaining how Lost Vagueness had imploded and the end was nigh. Roy The Boy aka Weird Beard had had a showdown on the Thursday lunchtime before the festival with ME .....won't go into the details of what was said, but was extreme. But the show went on.

  I ended up hanging out with a lovely lady that had been filming LV for a couple of years and was there for the showdown...and filmed the lot!

 

Well, she's back and looking for crowd funding to complete the story. I hope she makes it happen (she is a pro film maker and has some extraordinary archive footage). She wants to finish the film with SL, Arcadia. The Common etc to show what LV had evolved into.  For more info on the spat, hopefully the thread by BlimBus is in the archives somewhere. 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was all purged in 2010 apparently. Although a quick google did reveal this that might give a flavour of what you posted and what the film may have in store.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slugworth said:

What replaced LV? It looked awesome.

Shangri-La and Trash City (which Arcadia later sprung from, I think...)

Lots of the same people still involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Shangri-La and Trash City (which Arcadia later sprung from, I think...)

Lots of the same people still involved.

Oh right. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Shangri-La and Trash City (which Arcadia later sprung from, I think...)

Lots of the same people still involved.

It'd be interesting to know how things developed behind the scenes, so maybe Sawdusty knows some of the facts. I always though Trash City was separate to Lost Vagueness (although I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were links). And Arcadia was a different crew again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, musky said:

It'd be interesting to know how things developed behind the scenes, so maybe Sawdusty knows some of the facts. I always though Trash City was separate to Lost Vagueness (although I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were links). And Arcadia was a different crew again.

 

Like any of these things there's sure to be people who were involved with both. 

Arcadia was really just a stage in Trash City right? And am I right in thinking Trash City was the people behind the current Unfairground? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

What replaced LV? It looked awesome.

Roy was the visionary. 1994 had a dodgy 'World Cup' spirits bar in what is now the top of the Avalon field. Previous to that he ran bars (often selling Richard's Castle Wine) at Free Festivals. '98 he launched The Casino. '99 expanded and then LV was born. From an illegal underground scene for travellers by travellers something extraordinary evolved. When that imploded it was reborn and evolved in to th SE corner that we have today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Roy was the visionary. 1994 had a dodgy 'World Cup' spirits bar in what is now the top of the Avalon field. Previous to that he ran bars (often selling Richard's Castle Wine) at Free Festivals. '98 he launched The Casino. '99 expanded and then LV was born. From an illegal underground scene for travellers by travellers something extraordinary evolved. When that imploded it was reborn and evolved in to th SE corner that we have today.

God bless Roy.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, musky said:

It'd be interesting to know how things developed behind the scenes, so maybe Sawdusty knows some of the facts. I always though Trash City was separate to Lost Vagueness (although I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were links). And Arcadia was a different crew again.

This is largely from fading memories and I'm almost certainly going to get some of this wrong and so would welcome corrections. But very roughly speaking..

Shangri La is most of the LV crew minus Roy. Aside from a few defections (most notably the Diner) here and there, there's not that much crossover with the other late night areas.

The rest are a lot more intertwined..

The Mutoid Waste Company, run by Joe Rush, have been involved in Glastonbury in various forms for ages, far longer than I've been going.

But in terms of the current late night areas, I reckon the story starts in 2005 when Midnights Carnival was created as a new late night area in what's now called Bellas Field - it's often forgotten because basically the weather that year totally torpedoed most of what they were trying to do.

 

The following Festival (2007), the Mutoids collaborated with a lot of the same people invovled in Midnights Carnival to create Trash City as a new late night area. They commissioned various other groups to get involved, most notably the group that created NYC Downlow who I think were new to Glastonbury at the time and Arcadia which was founded by Pip Rush (brother of Joe) as a kind of spin off from the Mutoids. This was based in the field that now houses Block 9 which had previously been staff camping. Arcadia at the time was much smaller than it is today and had a different stage.

Arcadia was spun off into its own field pretty quickly (either 2008 or 2009). initially moving to where The Unfairground is now, while the newly formed Shangri-La took control of the rest of the former Lost Vagueness space.

Starting in 2010 more staff camping fields were repurposed to massively expand the late night areas, and the remaining parts of Trash City split out into The Unfairground (Mutoid Waste Company) and Block 9 (the crew behind NYC Downlow). The Common also came into being at this time, but I can't remember if/where they'd been involved previously or not. To be honest I don't know much about their organisation at all.

Glasto Latino came seperately, and originally was in the Holts field which had previously been a public campsite. They relocated to the SE Corner and Arcadia moved out. There's also been a couple other field swaps along the way.

So.. any corrections?

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew I'd got stuff wrong.. so the first of probably several corrections:

The field that housed Trash City in 2007 (now Block 9) didn't used to be Staff Camping, it was the Tipi Field which got relocated to the back of Pennards, in conjunction with the newly created Park area that year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, incident said:

I knew I'd got stuff wrong.. so the first of probably several corrections:

The field that housed Trash City in 2007 (now Block 9) didn't used to be Staff Camping, it was the Tipi Field which got relocated to the back of Pennards, in conjunction with the newly created Park area that year.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but in 2007, what I think I remember is lost vagueness being where the unfair ground is at present as you enter from the old railway line . Beyond that on the right was the chapel of love and a wonky disco with moving floors? Getting to either of them was a feat in itself due to the mud. After that I think there was a couple of small tents and some toilets leading to the bottom of the small embabkment that takes you back to the old line, with only a left turn back onto the train track available. If you carried on across the the track it led to the last (?) traveler field before the 2008 incarnation. Heading back along the track, if you took a right turn it took you into the tepee field for real tepee dwellers whilst the tepee field near the Park was originally posh camping 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost Vaguness was still there in 2007, like someone else said I remember trudging through some difficult mud in that area.

iirc there was a Casino up there that year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I first saw it in 2008. It was the first thing I saw on entering the new Shangri La. It was jaw dropping.

It was much better when it was sort of hidden in the trees and you stumbled on it than being in an open field. Less people able to get to it of course, but I remember finding it the first time (09 for me, we missed 08) and thinking the late night stuff at Glastonbury had got it's mojo back. I remember the last couple of years when LV was there is always seemed to be shut off for being too busy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

It was much better when it was sort of hidden in the trees and you stumbled on it than being in an open field. Less people able to get to it of course, but I remember finding it the first time (09 for me, we missed 08) and thinking the late night stuff at Glastonbury had got it's mojo back. I remember the last couple of years when LV was there is always seemed to be shut off for being too busy. 

I dunno, I kinda like it's new spot. When they start firing it up during the weds/thursday for testing, it's another "i'm at bloody glastonbury again" moment for me. Just builds the excitement even more.

I like that they are trying to make Arcadia into it's own field now; when it was marooned next to the Other Stage, it just felt a bit wasted. But last year was much better, especially having a few bars, foody places and some other things going on in that field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I first saw it in 2008. It was the first thing I saw on entering the new Shangri La. It was jaw dropping.

Absolutely, one of my very favourite Glastonbury experiences was dancing at the spider on Friday 2008 - first time seeing it was incredible, and I'm sure it was much louder in that field than in its new home!

Edited by blackred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Afterburner

7 hours ago, OG said:

If you carried on across the the track it led to the last (?) traveler field before the 2008 incarnation. Heading back along the track, if you took a right turn it took you into the tepee field for real tepee dwellers whilst the tepee field near the Park was originally posh camping 

Looking at the 2007 and 2008 maps, I think you're right and I'm wrong.

Apparently in 2007 Trash City was in the Outside Circus Field and the Tipis were still in their traditional field, which to be honest I don't remember at all but then again I've blotted much of that year from my memory.

So the move of Trash City into the former Tipi Field must have been 2008, and the spinning off of Arcadia into its own field in 2009.

 

24 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

It was much better when it was sort of hidden in the trees and you stumbled on it than being in an open field.

Remember though that it's a totally different stage now - the old stage (called the Afterburner) was much smaller and so could be sited like that, trying to put the Spider into that same space would be seriously problematic. I do agree though, while the Spider is bigger and more impressive, I just thought the Afterburner was a better stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to love the old tipi field too - I remember in 2000 stumbling on it for the first time, full of acoustic guitars and fires and families... it was awesome. Seeing them all lined up on the hill isn't quite the same. 

Ch-ch-ch-changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I first saw it in 2008. It was the first thing I saw on entering the new Shangri La. It was jaw dropping.

i think that was the only year they'd used that rig wasn't it?  it was roughly in the spot currently occupied by the London Underground iirc. 09 and 10 it was where unfairground is now and in 11 they first brought the spider which was down the end of what's now the common (i think, specifics are understandably hazy!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

i think that was the only year they'd used that rig wasn't it?  it was roughly in the spot currently occupied by the London Underground iirc. 09 and 10 it was where unfairground is now and in 11 they first brought the spider which was down the end of what's now the common (i think, specifics are understandably hazy!).

I think so yeah.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×