Driving From York Directions

Drabod

Hi Guys

Quick question on my route down there, When i google map to Glastonbury from York it says to use the m1 m5 Route in. Taking 4 hours 48mins 279 Miles.

However if i use the directions advised on Glastonburys website A1 to M3 Etc It takes 5 hours 50 mins 350 miles

Has anyone drove from similar area before, Which is the best route to take? Any help will be much appreciated first time and worried.

Cheers

Pop it into the aa route finder too and see what that comes up with. I have used Google maps a few times on ky phone over the last couple of months and find it is usually pretty accurate although it took me 2 different routes to get to the same place (Kendal to Shrewsbury) on 2 different journeys. I'm not sure if the app takes into account live traffic?

Shaun.

53 minutes ago, Drabod said:

Hi Guys

Quick question on my route down there, When i google map to Glastonbury from York it says to use the m1 m5 Route in. Taking 4 hours 48mins 279 Miles.

However if i use the directions advised on Glastonburys website A1 to M3 Etc It takes 5 hours 50 mins 350 miles

Has anyone drove from similar area before, Which is the best route to take? Any help will be much appreciated first time and worried.

Cheers

I've just been looking at the map actually and to go A1 - M3 would be madness, it takes you miles away from where you actually need to go and not just that, half way round the bloody M25 as well. if you absolutely had to go that way at all you would take the M4 across as opposed to going even further down to pick up the M3! I honestly can't see any logical reason for going that way mate.

The best route I can see coming from York would be A1(M) down to the A42 and M42 onto the M5 and down. Should take no more than 5 hours even with a coffee stop.

Shaun.

Thankyou guys for your help, i thought that seemed the most logical was just confused to why Glastonburys website said different. (I thought we might have to approach it from a different direction or something. 

Thanks again,

Used to come down from Rotherham so you'd be passing there.

Depending on what time you travel, there's a direct route to the east side. M1, M69, then A46, A429 through Stow to Cirencester and A350 to Chippenham, then to Trowbridge A361 to Shepton . 202 miles from Rotherham, if you do it at night it's really easy and much more amenable to keeping awake! It's only slow south of the M4

13 hours ago, Drabod said:

Hi Guys

Cheers

Hi, we're coming down from York, Pudsey, Castleford, and we come down on M1, M5, but then skirt Bristol to Bath to meet up with a friend and come in to CV East that way. Your initial route is good.

13 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

I'm not sure if the app takes into account live traffic?

Shaun.

It does, but I don't think the navigation automatically routes to avoid traffic, (it does indicate delays and the reasons, allowing a diversion to be picked manually). We've used it recently up t'North, although I'll use my SatNav with a route for June.

7 minutes ago, carlosj said:

Hi, we're coming down from York, Pudsey, Castleford, and we come down on M1, M5, but then skirt Bristol to Bath to meet up with a friend and come in to CV East that way. Your initial route is good.

It does, but I don't think the navigation automatically routes to avoid traffic, (it does indicate delays and the reasons, allowing a diversion to be picked manually). We've used it recently up t'North, although I'll use my SatNav with a route for June.

I did wonder as I made the Journey from Kendal to Shrewsbury on the Thursday afternoon and as I'm without a tomtom at the moment I used google maps app on my phone. I then made the same journey on theMonday afternoon and the app took my a completely different route. Not sure what all that was about as both times it told me I was on the fastest route.

1 minute ago, MilkyJoe said:

I did wonder as I made the Journey from Kendal to Shrewsbury on the Thursday afternoon and as I'm without a tomtom at the moment I used google maps app on my phone. I then made the same journey on theMonday afternoon and the app took my a completely different route. Not sure what all that was about as both times it told me I was on the fastest route.

Ah, sorry, I meant subsequent rerouting to avoid traffic. I've now Googled it (appropriate) and it does take traffic into consideration. Or it's playing an internal game of Rock, Paper, Scissors to work out the route.

3 hours ago, Flysheet said:

Used to come down from Rotherham so you'd be passing there.

Depending on what time you travel, there's a direct route to the east side. M1, M69, then A46, A429 through Stow to Cirencester and A350 to Chippenham, then to Trowbridge A361 to Shepton . 202 miles from Rotherham, if you do it at night it's really easy and much more amenable to keeping awake! It's only slow south of the M4

We come from near Oxford and we take the 'back' route Flysheet suggests and it's almost always been traffic free (although we travel in the early hours) and stress free - avoids motorways so a bit more interesting, and if you're travelling in the day, some nice small towns to stop off for food / loos etc. 

This only works if you want Blue Route (east) car parks.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint