The curious question of attendance figures

John the Moth

1 hour ago, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

I read Nile Rodgers' autobiography. He's mad on counting. Absolutely loves it. Counts this, counts that. All day long. He said ''People often ask me Niles - Why are you always counting and I tell 'em the same thing. 'Cause I like it that's why''.

He's pretty good at it by all accounts. If he says 55000 turned up then I for one believe him.

All those accounts were Niles himself talking about how good he was at counting.

3 hours ago, musky said:

Yeah, I hadn't really considered all the under 12s, hospitality and various hangers on. Have any figures ever been released for these? There does seem to have been a very visible increase in kids attending over recent years. 

i was recently told that one of the things that the extra 25,000 (added to the licence a few years ago) covered was a bigger allocation for kids than had existed before - because the number of kids has grown a lot over the years.

I don't know what allocation there was for kids before that increase, but around 15 years ago I was told the allocation for kids was a little under 5,000.

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Quite often in the same fields as they park their cars now, just arranged directly with the local farmers rather than via the festival.

Or they were travelling with pals who had tickets, or hitching etc

7 hours ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

There's always lots of smuggled in folk about. The difference is no one is climbing over or tunnelling under or outright breaking down fences like the old days so it doesn't make a particularly good news story any more 

im not sure about no one ? definatly some but probably limited to single figures , so of no effect in the grand scheme of things

5 hours ago, ogriff said:

When LOADS of people used to jump the fence, where did they all leave their cars?  And how did they manage to be reunited with them again?

There were no car park tickets, you could park in the car park if you had tickets or not.

7 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Rodgers is doing maths all day long, isnt he.

Whilst that field was jammed, they didnt shut it down as per Rolf.

We got there 5mins after the start and could get to about 30ft behind the sound desk. What that means in terms of capacity i have no idea but if the field holds 35k i doubt there was 55k there for Chic.

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

i was recently told that one of the things that the extra 25,000 (added to the licence a few years ago) covered was a bigger allocation for kids than had existed before - because the number of kids has grown a lot over the years.

I don't know what allocation there was for kids before that increase, but around 15 years ago I was told the allocation for kids was a little under 5,000.

Thanks Neil.

That would make a lot of sense. Just looking around there does seem to have been a big increase in the number of kids about, but I'd never given any thought on how that would affect ticketing.

6 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Was stood near brothers bar. There was space there but Mrs scruff never turned up. Found out later that it was manic and she'd given up trying to enter the field. That was before it was shut. 

Pppphhhttttt. "Soz Scruff. Hic. Packed. Couldn't hic get in. Hic."

I started this thread so feel obliged to say summat. Missus first time at the festival this year, I may have mentioned that a time or two, we recently went to a fest with grimes, churches, beach house, Vince staples , bunch o other stuff. This was like 15,000 attendees, somewhere the size of The Park area. I predict mind blown at the fest  :D

On 05/05/2016 at 11:27 AM, Fishman said:

Also, what are the capacities of the various stages?

How many can the Pyramid get, for example? Was it over this for the Stones? Dolly? (Crowd for Dolly was much more spread out) 

I also read Nile Rogers quoted as saying "we were only supposed to have 35,000 people in the crowd, but 55,000 turned up". How does he know?

Etc.

I'm interested in this too. I love the idea of some work experience kid up a ladder next to the stage with binoculars and a calculator, taking one off every time someone goes for a pint or a piss, adding whenever someone else turns up. 

55 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

I started this thread so feel obliged to say summat. Missus first time at the festival this year, I may have mentioned that a time or two, we recently went to a fest with grimes, churches, beach house, Vince staples , bunch o other stuff. This was like 15,000 attendees, somewhere the size of The Park area. I predict mind blown at the fest  :D

Ooh, have you seen this? How Big Is Glastonbury?

Someone else posted it on here somewhere but I can't remember who or what thread, so soz for the blatant theft.

On 5 May 2016 at 6:27 AM, Fishman said:

Also, what are the capacities of the various stages?

How many can the Pyramid get, for example? Was it over this for the Stones? Dolly? (Crowd for Dolly was much more spread out) 

I also read Nile Rogers quoted as saying "we were only supposed to have 35,000 people in the crowd, but 55,000 turned up". How does he know?

Etc.

Dolly felt much more busier than the stones... But might have been just me....

13 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

thought these may be of interest to this thread

DSC_0021_zpsqicyhgrv.jpg

DSC_0019_zpscmamryyo.jpg

Ive got that somewhere and can actually pick my tent out!

7 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

Ooh, have you seen this? How Big Is Glastonbury?

Someone else posted it on here somewhere but I can't remember who or what thread, so soz for the blatant theft.

Thanks :),  Much appreciated. Kinda debating internally, how much do I tell her before we get there and how much do I let her find out firsthand.

7 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Thanks :),  Much appreciated. Kinda debating internally, how much do I tell her before we get there and how much do I let her find out firsthand.

Ah you could tell her everything you know, we all could tell her everything we know, and it'd still be a surprise :)

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

It was bloody busy for Dolly, but I'd never seen as many people as at the Stones and I was fairly far back.

Agreed - the Dolly crowd was huge, but the Stones felt like another level. I was quite near the front though. Just remember turning around every so often and thinking wow, this is incredible. Again and again.