Train travel from london

frankfoil

I am travelling down south my daughter from Scotland by car on Wednesday to get a decent pitch in wickett field. My wife and son are heading down on the sleeper on Thursday night...arriving in Euston around 0700 on Friday morning.. Her plan is to get to the festival by train.. Has any one done this  and if so do you have any tips that would make life easier... Thanks 

Frankly, on Friday morning she'll have a bloody breeze - loads of room on the train, out at Castie Cary and a barrage of bored bus drivers ready to skip you over to the site, and straight in with basically zero queue whatsoever. With you already there having camped/tented etc, she'll have a lovely easy ol trip in :lol:

Yeah the mayhem is over by the Friday. Over half the people are on site by noon on the Wednesday. I'm not sure, but it may get a bit busier Friday evening as people who can only get the weekend off arrive, but apart from that it should be fine. 

Getting there is generally not too bad. It's the getting back that's usually a nightmare! After doing the train back to London on the Monday the first year I went I vowed never to do it again! Have done the coach ever since 

Edited by Lucy92

On 04/05/2016 at 10:34 PM, frankfoil said:

I am travelling down south my daughter from Scotland by car on Wednesday to get a decent pitch in wickett field. My wife and son are heading down on the sleeper on Thursday night...arriving in Euston around 0700 on Friday morning.. Her plan is to get to the festival by train.. Has any one done this  and if so do you have any tips that would make life easier... Thanks 

then you may like this - clearly it wont be like that on a Friday - I used to meet people who arrived late - this is well before Mobile Phones so I used to give them a map with a big X on it and then would show up every hour until I spotted them and amazingly we would still meet up  { which was lucky for them as I had all the camping gear }

Thinking about it - you would be wise ' to catch the shuttle to the train station ' and wait for them as that way you will be sure to spot them - you know what its like onsite unless a person is sitting on a camel they could be standing right next to you and you nay not spot them .

Good luck 

ps I was transferred by the Inland Revenue from Glasgow many years ago and I used to take that Overnight train every two weeks and would arrive on the Monday morning at Euston and head straight to the office - did not realise it was still running.

https://youtu.be/jVYhp00rzHo

thanks guys...we wont be getting the coach or train back as i would have the car with me since the wednesday.....

i have never been to glasto before....so i would be able to leave the site on friday morning and ghet the coach to the train station to meet the wife and son....any info is appreciated glasto-worker:D

I travelled on the train last year and the only thing I remember is how swift and well organised it was.  As long as you both have working mobile phones you will be fine to meet her at the entrance after she has got off the coach.  She will be fine. You leaving site to get to her just feels like a pain in the butt unless you are desperate to see each other :wub:.  Have fun, first Glastonbury's are brill, and second and third and and... 

1 hour ago, frankfoil said:

thanks guys...we wont be getting the coach or train back as i would have the car with me since the wednesday.....

i have never been to glasto before....so i would be able to leave the site on friday morning and ghet the coach to the train station to meet the wife and son....any info is appreciated glasto-worker:D

You'll need to get the shuttle bus from the bus station at Gate A to Castle Cary. Then you'll meet your wife and son off the train and get back on (probably the same) bus and go back to the site. 

Remember: you will need your ticket, wristband AND pass-out to get back on site.

7 hours ago, frankfoil said:

I'm not sure if bother meeting at the station and meet at the gate instead, it's really not that difficult transfering from train to bus if you don't have any bags (I'm assuming you'll be taking them in the car). The year myself and Mrs fur_q did similar she found everyone on the train and at the station really helpful. Our daughter was still in her buggy at that point and other festival people helped her over the bridge with the pushcahir at CC and she was alowed to go straight to the front of the queue for the shuttle. 

If you take the bus to meet at the station you may run the risk of still being on the bus when your wife arrives at the station. 

On 5/4/2016 at 10:34 PM, frankfoil said:

I am travelling down south my daughter from Scotland by car on Wednesday to get a decent pitch in wickett field...

The train bit sounds (hopefully!) fine as per previous responses - I've not stayed in Wickett before but if you're coming all the way from Scotland you might want to think about how early you set off and how quickly it generally fills up.  There will be people queued to get in from the car parks and it's you who is likely to have the nightmare getting in but stay positive - you will get there, and you'll be fully recovered and relaxed by Friday.

Edit: I've had a few nightmares getting from the car into the festival, I'm usually recovered instantly once the tent is up :)

Edited by p.pete

23 hours ago, frankfoil said:

The main reason why I suggested that you meet her is ' you will not get caught out if you cant get a call though ' { things may be better this year but in previous years it all depends what network you are using so there will be times when it claims ' network busy ' - by you going to her you are bound to meet up without even needing to call }  that bus station { which is very large } is a busy place so there is coaches in and out all the time and at times its chaos - sure it should be less busy but I would err on caution - you will know the time of the train so as long as you catch that shuttle giving yourself a good safety margin then the odds are you will be waiting when the train arrives - I am not going to predict how long it will take as its a impossible prediction to make as there is so many factors that can affect journey times - its not far but with traffic anything can happen so there is no average time.

even if you are delayed - just tell your wife to wait for you - that is what I would do with someone who has never been before -

its not a big train station - all I know is you have a far better chance to spot her than trying to spot her at the Glasto bus station.

Dont go to the train station, meet them off the shuttle bus just before the gate. Just before the gate it narrows and you wont miss anyone passing through there on a Friday as it will be dead and then you can help them with their stuff. You will need your ticket, wristband and passout though as mentioned.

Its a very short walk to Wicket from Gate A

On 18 May 2016 at 9:28 AM, wetflame said:

What would train travel on the Weds afternoon/evening be like? Debating whether to get a coach ticket or the train from London, getting a lift back so only need the single trip!

If you're not coming back on it, the train is a doddle from Paddington - it's a couple of hours quicker than the coach

• 5 weeks later...
On 06/05/2016 at 2:58 PM, Lucy92 said:

Getting there is generally not too bad. It's the getting back that's usually a nightmare! After doing the train back to London on the Monday the first year I went I vowed never to do it again! Have done the coach ever since 

Luckily I have the car...so it's an easy jaunt on Monday to Manchester airport for a trip to salou ☺☺