Avalon announced

eFestivals

BTW Saw the Feeling supporting ELO a couple of weeks ago and quite enjoyed them, I suspect they might headline.

The field can get packed at certain times and you can't get anywhere the tent, especially on a red hot day, mid afternoon.

Beautiful, beautiful place.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the Joanne Shaw Taylor mentions, really up for seeing her play. Saw Larkin Poe play the Avalon before, they are worth a look at too.

No one seems to be accounting for Treacherous Orchestra, who I think may be a headliner, they are seriously good live.

3 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Show of Hands playing twice I see. ;)

Double chance or you can't have too much of a good thing. Either way superb band and highly recommended, whether you're a finger in the ear folkie or just someone who enjoys good entertainment and a sing song.

Edited by grumpyhack

14 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Double chance or you can't have too much of a good thing. Either way superb band and highly recommended, whether you're a finger in the ear folkie or just someone who enjoys good entertainment and a sing song.

I'm assuming that the Avalon Cafe set will likely be quite late in the day - either directly against the main stage headliners or directly before. Any earlier than that or any time on Weds/Thurs they'd surely get too big a crowd.

Happy to see Mitch Benn as the cabaret stage didn't book him for the first time in decades last year.

Add me to the list of people sad Gaz Brookfield isn't playing, though I've seen him once this year already and will do again.

And I'm hoping it becomes a running joke where every stage announcing this week has Beans on Toast on...

Saw Show of Hands at one of the early BD in the tent, prob the first year it was on. Really enjoyed them but never had chance since so they've got to be on my list

Hobo Jones, well of course you have to don't you!

trying to keep positive all around, but was definitely a bit 'meh' with this avalon lineup. there are usually some great gems scheduled up there like the Evan Dando/Gary Clark Jr double in '13 (speaking of which, i am hoping we get Gary Clark somewhere this year...acoustic? west holts? john peel?) or a Beth Orton or an Avett Brothers, but not too impressed this time, perhaps i just need to 'playlist' more of them and discover. but it is a lovely area to escape to...

1 hour ago, incident said:

I'm assuming that the Avalon Cafe set will likely be quite late in the day - either directly against the main stage headliners or directly before. Any earlier than that or any time on Weds/Thurs they'd surely get too big a crowd.

My memory may be playing tricks, but I'm sure last year the Avalon Cafe actually seemed bigger than the Avalon Stage! No problems there I don't think.

I pressed them about Gaz Brookfield's omission on Facebook and they replied:

Me: Shame nobody replied to Gaz Brookfields emails

Avalon: he played last year, and the year before!

Me: I know but so did Hobo Jones & The Junkyard Dogs (who I love also)

Avalon: They are Avalon family!

Fair play I guess, can't book everyone the same or line up would never change. Shame as Gaz is ace!

Loving that there are lots of Beans fans on here.

I've seen him three times at other festivals and each time the weather has been perfect.  Good omen I think.

Its a regular occurrence for me to get drunk and force my friends to listen to Things.

The best journeys are best travelled with the best of friends
The best beginnings start before the means to an end
So be careful, be cautious, beware
Bollocks that's bullshit be a. breath of fresh air

1 hour ago, wozwebs said:

I pressed them about Gaz Brookfield's omission on Facebook and they replied:

Me: Shame nobody replied to Gaz Brookfields emails

Avalon: he played last year, and the year before!

Me: I know but so did Hobo Jones & The Junkyard Dogs (who I love also)

Avalon: They are Avalon family!

Fair play I guess, can't book everyone the same or line up would never change. Shame as Gaz is ace!

Yeah, wouldn't blame Avalon, I'd blame the rest of the stages that haven't booked him before for not doing so! Strummerville would have worked great.

4 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Thank you for the Joanne Shaw Taylor mentions, really up for seeing her play. Saw Larkin Poe play the Avalon before, they are worth a look at too.

No one seems to be accounting for Treacherous Orchestra, who I think may be a headliner, they are seriously good live.

Id never heard of them, they look good. Saturday night so says their twitter

Very few acts I have heard off but I reckon at my debut Glasto it could be one of the most likely places that my mates will be able to find me:). The Café sounds like a place I may love and discover many new acts.

Love my folk but never seen Show of Hands. Definitely want to hear some blues and Americana and... well, anything rootsy

I don't get the KT Tunstall love. Not a patch on Thea Gilmore and yet  she sells more records. Evidently having a big record company behind her helps tremendously

6 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

So pleased to see Joanne Shaw Taylor at Glastonbury after watching her perform at pubs and small venues. Very talented, always gigging and really nice person.

Purely based on your recommendation sir, I have put her on my must see:)

9 hours ago, Filthy said:

I rarely see even a single act on the Avalon bill that interests me. I love Beans and might see This is the Kit but as usual not a lot. I read so many people on here say it's their favourite area but I've barely seen anyone there in all my years of going. What am I missing? 

Avalon last year was my Spotify stage - lots of stuff I'd never heard of, but found on Spotify on the lead up to the festival.

leaving James Bay on the Pyramid to find Bareknuckle Parade in Avalon was great...

on a twee-but-fun indie tip, I'd recommend Keston Cobblers Club who are on again this year....(if you like that sort of thing)

1 hour ago, Rumblestripe said:

Also worth checking out if you like Seasick Steve and the rockier side of Americana

The Ben Miller Band self confirmed for Friday (courtesy "Brave Sir Robin")

I was listening to playlist in the car yesterday and really liked the Ben Miller band who I'd never heard of