One listen and it changed my life, 2016

FolkMeRight

Having Spotified the crap out of every artist on the poster, has any one (from an artist you know little about) song on it's first listen literally grabbed hold of you and moved you so much that you have promoted the artist to the top of your 'must see' Glasto 2016? For me it would be Laura by Bat For Lashes. Not really an artist I know much about but it came on my playlist late Saturday night and 107 plays later it is still amazing! 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, FolkMeRight said:

Having Spotified the crap out of every artist on the poster, has any one (from an artist you know little about) song on it's first listen literally grabbed hold of you and moved you so much that you have promoted the artist to the top of your 'must see' Glasto 2016? For me it would be Laura by Bat For Lashes. Not really an artist I know much about but it came on my playlist late Saturday night and 107 plays later it is still amazing! 

Not an answer to your question but Laura is an amazing song.

4 minutes ago, WallaceHigh said:

Vincent Staples.  Never really heard of him before I'd seen the line up but after listening to his latest album around 10 times now I'd consider myself a fan

Cool. Any one song that stands out and why it hits you?

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

Not an answer to your question but Laura is an amazing song.

Aye. The wife and I were in the tent this weekend and it came on. It carried over the dark skies of the Yorkshire Dales and we were mesmerised!

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

Great thread.  I too noted down Bat for Lashes when hearing Laura.

Cheers. Yeah I know two Lauras. The song reminded me of them and their nervous natures! So when it came on it hit home. I am keen to here people's reasons for their choice, and to get some inspiration for Glasto!

Just now, Watergirl said:

So far, Ezra Furman.  He had escaped my attention until now.

Love 'Ordinary life'.  Must see, unless there is a serious clash.

What was it about 'Ordinary Life' which hit you?

1 minute ago, FolkMeRight said:

What was it about 'Ordinary Life' which hit you?

The melody I guess.  I went through the album on iTunes, hearing 1.5 minute of each song, and it stood out.  Reminds me of Lou Reed.

8 minutes ago, FolkMeRight said:

Cheers. Yeah I know two Lauras. The song reminded me of them and their nervous natures! So when it came on it hit home. I am keen to here people's reasons for their choice, and to get some inspiration for Glasto!

Boringly, I just liked the sound!  I have jotted down a few more - will check my list and report back.

When I went in 2014 I fell in love with Gaz Brookfield who played at the Avalon cafe - his songs are about his experiences, life etc including one about being diagnosed with diabetes.  He's a "man with guitar" type folk-ish singer so may be up your street - he's tbc for this year too so I will try to see him again.

37 minutes ago, FolkMeRight said:

Heard that when it first came out on 6 music, got home and bought the whole album on I tunes, amazing song!

8 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

The melody I guess.  I went through the album on iTunes, hearing 1.5 minute of each song, and it stood out.  Reminds me of Lou Reed.

Nice one. I wil give it a listen thanks

7 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Boringly, I just liked the sound!  I have jotted down a few more - will check my list and report back.

When I went in 2014 I fell in love with Gaz Brookfield who played at the Avalon cafe - his songs are about his experiences, life etc including one about being diagnosed with diabetes.  He's a "man with guitar" type folk-ish singer so may be up your street - he's tbc for this year too so I will try to see him again.

Thanks for the heads up. Appreciate the story too. I will check him out. 

For me it is Grimes this year. I'd never even heard of her until the lineup announcement and now I've bought two of her albums and she's shot up to #2 on my priorities list! Only beaten by EWF... Which is hugely worrying because they could definitely clash. 

27 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

So far, Ezra Furman.  He had escaped my attention until now.

Love 'Ordinary life'.  Must see, unless there is a serious clash.

He's brilliant - even better live than on record. He came to my attention when both the Green Man and End of the Road forums were desperate for him to play last year so I went to see him at Shepherds Bush. Great show - one of my must sees

Doesn't exactly fit your question but:

I was already a big LCD Soundsystem fan (not seen them before), but watching their first Coachella set blew my mind. They went from being must-see to something else entirely :P

Although its early days for me giving the line-up a look through, mainly because most of what really interests me will be lower down the bill and is yet to be announced, but a couple I am loving at the moment are...

Kopter - Toy. Wanted to see them last year, but missed them, I cant remember why, need to work out why I missed them, they were a must see for me so I must have been well bladdered

Death - Preoccupation

Both will sound immense in a big tent, cant wait!

Grimes! I never really got on with the last album but I heard 'Belly of the Beat' and 'Kill V. Maim' recently and I can't get enough of her now.

I also gave Explosions In The Sky a go and I now listen to 'Postcard From 1952' at least 3 times a day :lol:.

I'd really love to see them both but they'll obviously clash with some of the other likely headliners on the lineup I'm dying to see (LCD, Sigur Ros, Bat For Lashes and James Blake).

Not got any "changed my life" so far but have got a number on my "hmm, like that, must listen to some more by them" list, including Grimes, Bob Moses, John Grant, Early Ghost, Band of Horses.  I now need to compile a playlist on Spotify of the ones I want to hear more of.