One listen and it changed my life, 2016

FolkMeRight

D'Angelo. Had never even heard of him before people started mentioning him on here. Was curious and watched a live performance of him doing cover songs at some random festival and was completely taken by his performance. First time I've felt like that about a band/artist since discovering Sleaford Mods.

Edited by BlackHole2006

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

D'Angelo. Had never even heard of him before people started mentioning him on here. Was curious and watched a live performance of him doing cover songs at some random festival and was completely taken by his performance. First time I've felt like that about a band/artist since discovering Sleaford Mods.

Ooh sounds good - added to my "listen to" list.

3 hours ago, FolkMeRight said:

Having Spotified the crap out of every artist on the poster, has any one (from an artist you know little about) song on it's first listen literally grabbed hold of you and moved you so much that you have promoted the artist to the top of your 'must see' Glasto 2016? For me it would be Laura by Bat For Lashes. Not really an artist I know much about but it came on my playlist late Saturday night and 107 plays later it is still amazing! 

I really love Bat For Lashes, and I think it was Laura that first got me interested too. I'm gutted that she'll most probably clash with EW&F on the Sunday eve, though!

45 minutes ago, LeeGalvin said:

I really love Bat For Lashes, and I think it was Laura that first got me interested too. I'm gutted that she'll most probably clash with EW&F on the Sunday eve, though!

That really would be a shitter!

2 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Not got any "changed my life" so far but have got a number on my "hmm, like that, must listen to some more by them" list, including Grimes, Bob Moses, John Grant, Early Ghost, Band of Horses.  I now need to compile a playlist on Spotify of the ones I want to hear more of.  

By no means definitive but these are my favourite BoH tunes. 

Edited by Harmonic Prospector

4 hours ago, Watergirl said:

So far, Ezra Furman.  He had escaped my attention until now.

Love 'Ordinary life'.  Must see, unless there is a serious clash.

Agreed on Ezra. That guy has a remarkable amount of great tunes for a relatively short career so far.

37 minutes ago, princess4747 said:

Wait by M83 is a fab tune. I recommend listening to it on a solo walk in the sunset through a field. It's one of my top 'Walk to Work' tracks

Beautiful. Not familiar with M83. Now I will listen to more

I'd have to go for Laura as well. I knew of Bat for Lashes without having ever given them much time but that song is a stunner and has made the Sunday night clashes all the harder.

Unless she's not headlining Park. Didn't we all convince ourselves Belle & Sebastien were headlining Park last year?

4 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I'd have to go for Laura as well. I knew of Bat for Lashes without having ever given them much time but that song is a stunner and has made the Sunday night clashes all the harder.

Unless she's not headlining Park. Didn't we all convince ourselves Belle & Sebastien were headlining Park last year?

she tweeted something saying #sundaynight which i took as her headlining somewhere, and put 2 and 2 together to get to the Park. guess she could fit in in a few other places, but that makes the most sense to me

First song I heard on the spotify playlist was King for a King by Will Varley. Never heard of him before but now can't stop listening to his stuff. Just got announced on Monday as well. 

Setting up a glastonbury playlist was a seriously genius idea!

Wolf Alice - Bros. Absolutely incredible song. Completely missed it when it was released. Got me properly hooked after the first listen! One of my favourite songs now too.

Edited by Nick S

Looked through the @Brave Sir Robin's playlist and here's the stuff I ticked (those tracks which just hit me first time as being great):

• Bat for Lashes - Laura
  • The 1975 - Chocolate 
  • The Drystones - Van Diemen's Land
  • Earth Wind and Fire - Fantasy (heard it before, but forgotten what a BRILLIANT song this is!)
  • Polly and the Billets Doux - Money Tree
  • Pretty Vicious - National Plastics
  • Wolf Alice - Bros

With the exception of EWF, had never heard any of the above's stuff prior to the playlist, so I'm eternally grateful to BSR for his playlist, its really getting me revved up for Glastonbury in 7 WEEKS TIME!!! 

Edited by stixmcvix
tagged BSR

I'm another Vote for Grimes, I've always been aware of her but it's never really clicked until I heard Art Angels, I swear I've hardly stopped listening to it for about a month now

Pin especially, the line "I was only looking for a human to reciprocate" seems to just reverberate around my head until I listen to it again, then the cycle repeats

Beck is another one they I've never really clicked with but since he was announced I've really got into, not quite as addicted as I am with Grimes but I think that's because there isn't 1 singular album that I'm fixated with