Under 18s and Alcohol

detrez34

hi im 17 and attending Reading 2016, there's about 10 of us and was just wondering if anyone knows if its easy for under 18s to hide alcohol/ will we all be checked for it? if so, what is the best way to do so?

surely they wont check the huge bag that contains a 4-6 man tent? would that work?

also any tips in general, first time attending Reading :)

On 5/2/2016 at 9:30 PM, detrez34 said:

hi im 17 and attending Reading 2016, there's about 10 of us and was just wondering if anyone knows if its easy for under 18s to hide alcohol/ will we all be checked for it? if so, what is the best way to do so?

surely they wont check the huge bag that contains a 4-6 man tent? would that work?

I've been to reading since 2011 and nearly every time I have either been searched or seen someone being searched and getting alcohol confiscated because they were underage. If there is a large group of you all under 18 they will suspect and more than likely search you. I would advise trying to find someone overage and asking them to take it through for you. From my experience they've been pretty strict with IDs. 

It's fairly random how/when they search. I've never personally been searched (although I'm late 20s!) but i've seen them split off under 18s in the queue before now (a couple of years back) to do a quick search.

As cb said, if there's a group of you all looking under 18, you won't stand a chance. You'll also do well to get served in the arena etc - anyone that looked under 21ish they'll want to see an 18+ wristband.

Went when I was 16 all I can advise is prepare for a search, luckily didn't happen to me or friends but it did happen to people around us. Give crates to over 18s, hide spirits in water bottle and pray you don't get searched. Any other things you shouldn't have put it in a sock or down your trousers, not that anyone brings that kind of stuff into Reading...

On 2 May 2016 at 9:30 PM, detrez34 said:

First time I went to reading was 2013 and was 17 myself.. There were 6 or 7 of us, 2 of which were 18 (I was 18 that September).

The stewards are beginning to clamp down on the underage lot bringing booze in, best thing to do, if there's 18 year olds in your group, or if you know any there, go to the Tesco nearby and get the 18 year olds to bring it in for you. Pre warning, if that 18 year old has "far too much alcohol for 1 person" they'll likely confiscate some of that too.

theres also a shop on site selling drinks, mainly cans, again, get them to buy them and then carry them back yourself.

have a wonderful festival.