Michael talking at Oxford Union

Michael is talking at Oxford Union tonight, and it's being livetweeted by Oxford Union.

Talking points so far: Move has been brought up again but is being described as "potential", current festival rents land from 22 other landowners and when Michael heard of Jay-Z, he thought it was pronounced Jaycee like Stacey.

https://twitter.com/OxfordUnion

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

Always have that twinge leaving the festival each year that it might just be the last time, guess that's becoming more of a reality as the years go by

Part of the magic of the festival is knowing that mini city has emerged out of the fields of Somerest and will sink back into them once we all leave. Just wouldn't be the same on a new purpose built site

For those who don't read twitter, he's gone on to cover some of the most regularly discussed things on here.

- He backs Europe as being the saviour of milk farmers.

- Paid tribute to Prince and said they did try to get him, but said there's nobody really the festival hasn't had that he'd want.

- Is a fan of Beyonce's political activism

- Says Glastonbury is still a political festival

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

i still regard this attempt at staging a festival elsewhere as largely a bargaining tool in land rental negotiations. if it goes well then and the landowners keep upping their demands, then it's off elsewhere. if it goes well they might realise that what they have, or even a little less, is much better than nothing at all..

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

i still regard this attempt at staging a festival elsewhere as largely a bargaining tool in land rental negotiations. if it goes well then and the landowners keep upping their demands, then it's off elsewhere. if it goes well they might realise that what they have, or even a little less, is much better than nothing at all..

I tend to agree. I found this comment very interesting:

With my very cynical hat on, I might think that means he's had an offer from one of his neighbours for their land, but the price is too high. He's bought land before, not sure why he would have any issue with buying more in principle.

26 minutes ago, phil the shrew said:

Always have that twinge leaving the festival each year that it might just be the last time, guess that's becoming more of a reality as the years go by

Part of the magic of the festival is knowing that mini city has emerged out of the fields of Somerest and will sink back into them once we all leave. Just wouldn't be the same on a new purpose built site

Hopefully it's just a warning, but if it happens outside of the 2018 'one-off' then I think that will be me done. 

41 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

It will be up on YouTube in a few days.

Good news - I'm a member of the Union and have no idea how I missed that he was speaking tonight or I'd have gone along :( YouTube will be a reasonable alternative though.

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

not sure about having a stage dedicated to a particular genre of music, and why the first genre to have it is grime...

As ever with Michael, I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

I expect Sonic or Wow will just have a strong grime presence as it is flavour of the month, as opposed to being solely Grime dedicated. Similar to the Saturday of 2010.

5 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

I expect Sonic or Wow will just have a strong grime presence as it is flavour of the month, as opposed to being solely Grime dedicated. Similar to the Saturday of 2010.

yeah that's kind of what i imagined would be happening really. still a bit of a weird idea considering grime could fit in to so many of the other stages rather than bundling it all together, but ah well, guess we'll see just how truthful he was being - i'm sure the likes of Skepta will have higher slots, even possibly as high as the Pyramud

8 hours ago, Andeeroo said:

As I said in a post about a month ago, there's loads of grime on one (I've forgotten which, now) of the Silver Hayes stages on Friday, and loads on another stage on the Saturday.

So there you go, I've just told you something with more accuracy than Eavis has. :P

I remember seeing Michael speaking at the Oxford Union back in 2004 - always a pleasure to hear him talk. I noticed he hung around afterwards and chatted to a few people in the bar; good on him.

• 3 weeks later...