Water proofing jeans?

iVince

Hi all, can you water proof jeans? Was thinking of them water proofing sprays that you can proof tents and shoes. 

Looking at the British summer bring so wet atm would love some water proof jeans.

Thanks

vince

Ha what a mad idea,I don't see why not as you say it's just material the same as canvas tents,the only thing I can think of is that they might get very hot and sweaty as the fabric will not breath

Give it a go though,would love to know the outcome :)

Jeans are grim for festivals. Once they get wet they stay damp and horrible, and I'd imagine waterproofed jeans would be ruined for life, as well as hot, heavy, and really uncomfortable. I always wear shorts or leggings (although I'm a girl, and appreciate most chaps don't want to walk around in leggings or tights... :) )

Waterproof trousers will sort you out if it does rain, and anyway, surely shorts are better? Even if it's wet in late June it's likely to be fairly warm? Legs dry much faster than trousers!

1 hour ago, iVince said:

Hi all, can you water proof jeans? Was thinking of them water proofing sprays that you can proof tents and shoes. 

Looking at the British summer bring so wet atm would love some water proof jeans.

Thanks

vince

True waterproofing that'll last a reasonable length of time? No. It's just not going to happen.

Yes, you can get sprays like NeverWet that create a hydrophobic coating. But there's a few problems - firstly you need complete coverage, any gaps etc and the water gets past and into the material where it can then spread. Secondly, normal wear and tear of the day will mean that on a pair of trousers, the spray rubs off (even just walking a couple of metres will have an impact) and again becomes useless. I've also been told they leave an unwanted residue.

I'd suggest get some lightweight hiking trousers and a pair of waterproof overtrousers - the 2 of them combined will weigh a lot less than a typical pair of jeans, they'll be infinitely more functional and cover you for all weather scenarios.

Was just thinking, I know you can buy softshell trousers but I'm 24 and don't want to be that 1 guy out my group wearing softshell trousers.

Just thinking last year it was blazing hot when we got the the arena but 4 hours later still in the arena it was hammering it down and my jeans got soaked.

I've tried this, it works to a certain extent but it's not great great, as explained up thread all you'll really a hove is making them 'hydrophobic' meaning water will run off and not soak in as easily but in heavy rain the water will still soak in. It is possible to buy waterproof jeans but these are made for motorcyclists and so they are A) berry expensive and B ) have lots of built in padding so will be really bulkey heavy and hot. 

5 minutes ago, iVince said:

Was just thinking, I know you can buy softshell trousers but I'm 24 and don't want to be that 1 guy out my group wearing softshell trousers.

Just thinking last year it was blazing hot when we got the the arena but 4 hours later still in the arena it was hammering it down and my jeans got soaked.

Glastonbury might be 'cool' but it is essentially a camping and hiking trip with bands. 

You might not want to be 'that one guy' but honestly, ignore the fashion pages and wear practical clothing that's appropriate for the weather. Jeans are not suitable for hot weather or wet weather so you'll be uncomfortable whatever happens.

Just get some cheap waterproof over trousers and either keep them in your tent and keep an eye on the weather/forecast, or put them in your day bag.

Or keep a pretty big poncho which you can use to cover all of you.

I've worn jeans on and off at various times there for decades pretty happily.

Im sensing a lot of melted plastic dip them in, while wearing for better fit.  Blacksmoke fumes and waste however, Greenpeace will be delighted.

i cant for the life of me fathom what you can use them for as there isnt going to be any rain or muck( at least in my head itll be sunny even if not in the real world). B)

3 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Jeans are grim for festivals. Once they get wet they stay damp and horrible, and I'd imagine waterproofed jeans would be ruined for life, as well as hot, heavy, and really uncomfortable. I always wear shorts or leggings (although I'm a girl, and appreciate most chaps don't want to walk around in leggings or tights... :) )

Waterproof trousers will sort you out if it does rain, and anyway, surely shorts are better? Even if it's wet in late June it's likely to be fairly warm? Legs dry much faster than trousers!

In nomal society id agree. Glastonbury howeve im a sure a nice pair of legging would complement watever crazy ensemble ill inevitably have rocking

2 hours ago, iVince said:

Honestly no matter how ridiculous u think you look theryll be 10 people within a few meters who will look as , if not more ridiculous than you. 

Comfert and practically outweighs fashion in this case.. So get urself a nice poncho, good fannypack, crazy hat and go with it :)

Shorts with a coat or poncho (the forum shop sells them) will keep you dry - your legs will dry off quicker than trousers, and layers on at night like a fleece will keep you warm too. Jeans are the worst in rain so avoid them if you can.

You won't stick out after Wednesday with all the dust from the scorching sun, so don't worry about how you'll look ;-)

I bought some walking trousers a couple of years back for a holiday in Scotland- just the job- light and if they get wet dry really quickly. Picked them up cheap off eBay and from Mountain Warehouse.  I'll be taking them plus if need be a base layer to go underneath

I'm presuming this chap is quite young so I suspect fashion is quite high up the list of his priorities, especially if he's single and looking for some action.

It's all very well you old farts telling him to wear waterproof trousers but come off it, what self respecting young fellow would ever consider such a thing?

Just put a pair of shorts on, you absolute fanny.

On 2 May 2016 at 11:53 PM, iVince said:

I'm not sure what Arena you were at but if it rains get thee to a bar until it stops!

You might not want to be that one guy wearing soft shell trousers but you will be that one guy laughing his cock off at his miserable pissed wet through mates!

You're concerned enough about what you look like to want to wear jeans, but don't like the idea of them getting a little damp?!  I'm not sure if you're 25 or 55?!

Anyway, my advice... don't try and waterproof something that inherantly isn't waterproof.  I'm sure there are better things to occupy your time between now and Glasto.   Wear shorts (waterproof shorts maybe) if you know it's going to pee down, wear jeans all other times.  Just seen someone mention shorts and poncho, that's the one.  Don't get dragged into the over-preparation-carry-the-world-on-your-back approach!

I re-proofed a proper waterproof jacket with Nik Wax last summer. You could smell the proofing for months after. Regardless of whether you get the look you're after, you definitely won't get the smell.

Although it probably won't be the worst thing you smell over the weekend!