Alternative Nighttime Entertainment

bekimo

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its popularity gets knocked but I had a really good evening in the Piano Bar a couple of years ago, we came across it by chance and it was bizarre but brilliant.  Slightly disappointed to hear that people queue to get in, I guess most people know where it is now, which takes away some of the fun!  They should find a new location :)  

9 hours ago, bekimo said:

I think I might have to brave some of these late night spots. Particularly wherever this chameleon bar is. That sounds very promising! 

The Chameleon is just on the left as you walk towards the exit of the market area going towards the Pyramid. More or less opposite where the Yeo Valley stall is. 

11 hours ago, mr gumby said:

Haha, you might be right! There've been a few threads about anxiety, and there do seem to be a fair few posters affected. What we need is some comfy sofas around a roaring campfire, some music that's good to dance to, but not so loud that you can't hear yourself think, and a bunch of people who understand each other. Sounds like a plan, actually! 

Strummerville. Exactly this. Plus hard drugs.

To be fair, I think most of he larger bars and some of the smaller ones remain open until 2 or 3am.  The music is incredibly varied but some do stick to themes.  Chameleon is known for Indie/Britpop really, Bimble in the Park plays all sorts but has lots of live folk music.  Beat Hotel is more dance music but often the less "hard" stuff.

Let's not forget the silent discos either.  Had some absolute screams in there till the wee hours.

11 minutes ago, musky said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of Tick Tick Boom. 

About time they put in another appearance. :)

Dear God yes.  A million times yes. One of the best live acts around.

30 minutes ago, musky said:

That it was. :)

A great way to kick off the festival proper. I think they won themselves a lot of fans who hadn't seen them before that day. 

It went from a crap start to a fantastic one for me. I'd planned to get there for the special guests before them (this was before I had a decent phone with twitter etc, so I really didn't know who it might be), woke up and checked my watch, but misread it and thought I had time for a doze. Woke again and realised we were going to miss the first act. Was not happy! But we got ready and headed over anyway for The Hives. Asked someone about the guests and was told it was Beady Eye, and a big grin spread across my face. I'd had an extra hour's sleep, hadn't had to listen to Beady Eye, and got there just in time for The Hives, who were fantastic! Win, win, and another win! :) 

Pretty much all of the bars have live music or dj on till 3am ish. Williams green bar play a lot of chart stuff, lots of singing along with hands in the air etc. The Avalon Inn usually have a band playing jazz/folk/blues type stuff. There is loads of stuff going on outside the SE corner/Arcadia

6 minutes ago, McCor said:

The guys from Propaganda usually have late nights all throughout the weekend until about 3am. Pretty sure they ran Cameleon last year. So if you're after an indie all-nighter, find them!

Think they did chameleon and kasbah, i seen them in both definitely but whether it was just one night i dunno

They also did a channel in the sonic stage silent disco on one of the nights

18 hours ago, incident said:

There's all kind of cabaret stuff in Mavericks, in Bellas Field till late.

Indeed!!! Can't believe it took me until last year to stumble on it, had my best late night glasto time ever watching the various acts!!! Ended with Wheel of Four Tunes, simple but entertaining!!

1 hour ago, jonodillieono said:

Think they did chameleon and kasbah, i seen them in both definitely but whether it was just one night i dunno

They also did a channel in the sonic stage silent disco on one of the nights

Yeah we found kasbar Thursday night last year, couldn't find it for the rest of the weekend. They did Cameleon every night 

One of my favourite things to see each year is the Wheel Of Four Tunes drawing people away from their trudge towards the SE corner entrance just by their sheer enthusiasm and party atmosphere they are able to generate. Seeing their crowd grow steadily as people lose it to every genre of music you can imagine is always a great Glasto moment. Their song choices for each genre are always inspired and there is almost an anarchic sense of unpredictability about each set they play. Their crowd banter and the ability to hold a crowd in the palm of their hands as they jump from Rock, Cheese,  Hip-Hop, Ska, 60s, Dubstep, Power Ballads, etc. and not have anyone drift away is one of the reasons why our group and many others go back year after year.