Alternative Nighttime Entertainment

bekimo

Just having a bit of a disagreement with my baby bro. He says there is only "boom boom tick tick" (dance) music available after dark at Glastonbury. 

I'm sure there is other stuff! I mean it's Glastonbury!!. After 3 years of attending the festival I've not really experienced much nightlife as I suffer from anxiety and shangri la had me in a full on anxiety attack in our first year so I haven't really risked it again. 

Anyone have any tips or experiences of non-dance-music late night fun things!? I need to prove my brother wrong. He's intolerable when he thinks he's right!!!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's loads and loads of other stuff. So much that this list will have loads of stuff in it but still be missing plenty.

There's all kind of cabaret stuff in Mavericks, in Bellas Field till late.

Glasto Latino is exactly what the name suggests.

There's a lot of Folk/Trad stuff in various stages in the Green Futures Field, and also in the Ancient Futures Stage in the Tipi Field.

Then a bit further up the hill, there's Strummerville. Across a bit and you've got The Rabbit Hole which has various stuff going on.

Plus loads I can't remember.

Also a lot of the music that goes on isn't 'dance music' in the traditional EDM sense (though people might be dancing to it).

For example the New York Brass Band, last on the Hell Stage last year were a festival highlight for me, but their music wasn't at all what you'd associate with clubs on DJs or the like. 

I mean each to their own but I like to mix it up - a bit of the 'boom boom tick tick' stuff and bit of some other stuff and I've never had a problem with that at the festival. 

10 minutes ago, bekimo said:

Just having a bit of a disagreement with my baby bro. He says there is only "boom boom tick tick" (dance) music available after dark at Glastonbury. 

I'm sure there is other stuff! I mean it's Glastonbury!!. After 3 years of attending the festival I've not really experienced much nightlife as I suffer from anxiety and shangri la had me in a full on anxiety attack in our first year so I haven't really risked it again. 

Anyone have any tips or experiences of non-dance-music late night fun things!? I need to prove my brother wrong. He's intolerable when he thinks he's right!!!

In addition to @incident's suggestions, there's Stonebridge bar and Bimble Inn, Croissant Neuf, Beat Hotel, The Spike and The Glade. I suffer from anxiety myself, and find the SE corner and Arcadia a bit daunting at peak times, so it's good to know there's some more relaxed (but still fun) things to do!

I was just going to suggest all of us who suffer from a bit of anxiety in crowds and stuff have a special 'meet' this year (like the tarp hat one suggested in the hats thread), but it's now seeming that there's so many of us going that the crowd would be far too big for us to contemplate going anywhere near... :lol:

3 minutes ago, billum said:

I was just going to suggest all of us who suffer from a bit of anxiety in crowds and stuff have a special 'meet' this year (like the tarp hat one suggested in the hats thread), but it's now seeming that there's so many of us going that the crowd would be far too big for us to contemplate going anywhere near... :lol:

Love this!!

Fluffy Rock Cafe has some good none dance stuff on till late. There's plently of other stuff about too, you just need to sniff it out. Gaz's Rocket Lounge is another, Kamikaze Karaoke provide some quality entertainment.

I have no love for dance music and generally find something to keep me happy until at least 2. As an old git I'd rather crash out then and be revived and ready to kick off at 11 when the music starts again. 

26 minutes ago, billum said:

Haha, you might be right! There've been a few threads about anxiety, and there do seem to be a fair few posters affected. What we need is some comfy sofas around a roaring campfire, some music that's good to dance to, but not so loud that you can't hear yourself think, and a bunch of people who understand each other. Sounds like a plan, actually! 

1 minute ago, mr gumby said:

Haha, you might be right! There've been a few threads about anxiety, and there do seem to be a fair few posters affected. What we need is some comfy sofas around a roaring campfire, some music that's good to dance to, but not so loud that you can't hear yourself think, and a bunch of people who understand each other. Sounds like a plan, actually! 

You bet - you could get a whole weekend festival out of that. Fretstival, anyone??

I'm another one with anxiety probs!

This is my 4th Glastonbury and i'm yet to find any non-EDM stuff after hours too. That being said, i've not looked for it, as most of my friends live for that stuff. I would like to though, any non-dance areas would be of great interest to me!

29 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Fluffy Rock Cafe has some good none dance stuff on till late. There's plently of other stuff about too, you just need to sniff it out. Gaz's Rocket Lounge is another, Kamikaze Karaoke provide some quality entertainment.

I have no love for dance music and generally find something to keep me happy until at least 2. As an old git I'd rather crash out then and be revived and ready to kick off at 11 when the music starts again. 

Stumbled in there on the saturday night and it was great craic!

15 minutes ago, calamitymaud said:

I'm another one with anxiety probs!

This is my 4th Glastonbury and i'm yet to find any non-EDM stuff after hours too. That being said, i've not looked for it, as most of my friends live for that stuff. I would like to though, any non-dance areas would be of great interest to me!

I've been to chameleon bar till 3am listening to indie music from the 90's. Bread and roses and the bandstand to see friends play I think that was after the headliners. there's always the stone circle for the sounds of bongo drums and laughing gas canisters, well that's what they had last time I was there, not sure if the ban on gas has worked?

24 minutes ago, morph100 said:

I've been to chameleon bar till 3am listening to indie music from the 90's

Chameleon has waylaid us on our way back to the tents many a night...!  Damn the cheese

Small World Stage has stuff on til quite late and it's a nice atmosphere in there, no dancy music either.

I'd second Mavericks, it's funny but I did have a very bad hangover upon being in there til late after Chic...  Don't accept anything they might offer you!  

Strummerville is nice too, if you can face the walk

Edited by verrymerry

26 minutes ago, gerardfenton18 said:

Is there edm in Glastonbury? Not knocking it but just can't remember any when i was there.... But then i can't remember much

by EDM they mean electronic dance music as in the umbrella term for pretty much all dance music house, techno, drum n bass, trance etc

I think Williams Green has the Guilty Pleasures night and they had Eddie Pillar of  2 Tone record records fame DJ last year. I haven't been to the Naughty corner of a night since Lost Vagueness. I was heading in that direction last year but come across a tent near the Avalon tent which was playing Rock N Roll so sacked off going into Shangri la!!

This is all really great to see!  Not just the fact that there is life outside the "boom boom tick tick" but also that I'm not alone in trying to manage Glasto with Anxiety!  I have to say, when I did have my anxiety attack in shangri la, the security there were so amazingly helpful, it was very very reassuring as they looked after me very well and made sure I got safely out of the muddy crowds! 

I think I might have to brave some of these late night spots. Particularly wherever this chameleon bar is. That sounds very promising! 

Try out the Bella's Field, circus and Avalon areas for a quieter but fun Friday and Saturday night. 

Not a big fan of the crowds in south east corner but as others have said Mavericks is great fun, and there are odd and wonderful acts in that area - saw a great 70s cover band on Sensation Seekers last year, and Wheel of Four Tunes are often there too

It had passed me by for many years but popped into the circus tent last year and was blown away by how good the acts were. Definitely going back there this year

I thought there was a thread for bars open late - but couldn't find it when I searched.... this might be as good a place as any for it....

So, as well as those above - which bars are open late? And which are worth finding?