Festival layout changes for this year

Understand that they are using a different part of the racecourse this year, due to the building work.

does anybody have a layout / map? Or can describe where the main area will be?

also I'm hoping the camping toilets are back up to scratch, last year wasn't as good as previous years. There was definitely  less and just didn't seemed to be maintained as often. Spouse some of the issue is that wychwood tends to set the standards for others to follow with regards to facilities, and last year just wasn't as good.

22 hours ago, Christian_chambers said:

Understand that they are using a different part of the racecourse this year, due to the building work.

does anybody have a layout / map? Or can describe where the main area will be?

I'll attempt to - tho I might have misunderstood, so might be wrong.

At the far end (furthest from the entrance) of the car park, at the bottom end of it, there's a roadway that continues away from the entrance (that you turn immediately right from if you want to drive onto the racecourse itself [which people do to drop off their camping stuff, as well as campervans]).

As I understand it, the new site is beyond that right turn, I think on the left of that bit of road.

(tho looking at google maps, there's also some land to the right of it of about the same size, so maybe it'll use that bit).

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2016 at 7:16 AM, eFestivals said:

I'll attempt to - tho I might have misunderstood, so might be wrong.

At the far end (furthest from the entrance) of the car park, at the bottom end of it, there's a roadway that continues away from the entrance (that you turn immediately right from if you want to drive onto the racecourse itself [which people do to drop off their camping stuff, as well as campervans]).

As I understand it, the new site is beyond that right turn, I think on the left of that bit of road.

(tho looking at google maps, there's also some land to the right of it of about the same size, so maybe it'll use that bit).

Does that mean that the festival arena area will be on grass rather than tarmac or does the tarmac extend that far down?

And hands up the EFesters who will be going.

Edited by grumpyhack

15 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Does that mean that the festival arena area will be on grass rather than tarmac or does the tarmac extend that far down?

And hands up the EFesters who will be going.

Grass I believe.

The girls and me should be there again. we'll see you were we normally see you. :)

15 hours ago, Christian_chambers said:

I think it is the overflow car park area (Cheltenham festival) which from memory is gravel

Graeme said it was grass, and google maps shows it as grass too.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Cheltenham+Racecourse/@51.9223246,-2.0680421,1172m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48711b8a20ea9c3b:0xb28d993754d5d49d!8m2!3d51.9192!4d-2.068767

It's one of the two fields that have been clearly used for car-parking towards the top of that map. I believe it's the one on the left the festival will use.

Disclaimer: that's what Graeme told me back in the autumn, but it's not impossible that plans have changed since then because I'm not sure if it was a definite decision. Moving to another part of the grounds was definitely happening tho, because much of the land used last year has now been built on.

I'm going up on Thursday and spending the night at the Caravan Club site at Cheltenham Racecourse.  It's a chance to use their electric hook ups to charge the caravan leisure battery, fill up with drinking water and empty the waste water tank.  Then a leisurely trundle on to the Wychwood site on Friday morning.

12 hours ago, Christian_chambers said:

On reading the email sent out by the wychwood team this evening, it sounds like they are set up in the usual location.

you could be right .... the wife showed me some pics on facebook last night which she said was it in the same place, tho the amount of grass between the camera and the stage in one of the shots had me thinking it couldn't be the same place.

Well we couldn't have had better weather.  Everything I could have asked for as a festival season opener.  Bill Bailey stole the festival by a country mile for me and 10cc weren't bad. But who worries about the music when the sun shines and you can have a clotted cream tea sitting outside the bus.

• 8 months later...