the best cover of all time?

greenArmy12

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Well if it is a cover it's up there.

I'm sure  Prince recorded it first, but if he didn't release it until later does that count? Would his original recording have been a cover?

Hmm.

Either way, her version pisses all over Prince's.

Prince recorded as an album track in about 1984 I think. Sinead released in 1990 so definitely a cover but her version is definitive. Sadly she said last year she will no longer be performing it live as she can no longer "emotionally connect with it"

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many great covers

The Dutch singer Nynke Laverman did a wonderful version of Halleujah

Patsy Cline's version of Crazy by Willie Nelson. Is that technically a cover?

Gram Parson's and Emmylou's version of Love Hurts. Definitive.

James Carr's The Dark End of the Street

Aretha Franklyn's Respect

Amy Winehouse's Valerie was pretty good.

Loved Ryan Adam's arrangement to Wonderwall

Emmylou Harris' cover of Pancho and Lefty

Sam Cooke could cover any bloody thing he wanted and it would sound superb, even reading out the football results

17 minutes ago, Digital Monkey (Womad) said:

Prince recorded as an album track in about 1984 I think. Sinead released in 1990 so definitely a cover but her version is definitive. Sadly she said last year she will no longer be performing it live as she can no longer "emotionally connect with it"

That's fine with me, I think there was some magic caught in that video. There's no point seeing her sing it without that strong vulnerability thing she did. If this was 'best video for cover version ever' thread, then she would win hands down. Still gets me whenever I watch it.

2 hours ago, little_jim said:

The Animals pretty much made "House of the rising sun" their own. Being a blues fan I do like to turn it up loud and sing along

There have been so many versions of this.  I like the way Frijid Pink at least gave it a different arrangement.

But the prize has to go to John Otway for turning the song into an event.

The Beatles Twist and Shout - especially the story behind it, one last take with Lennon's voice completely shot

The Clash Police and Thieves - mixing reggae and punk

Talking Heads Take Me To The River

Rod Stewart The First Cut Is The Deepest

PSB Always On My Mind 

Ryan Adams 1984 whole cd of Taylor Swift covers

Johnny Cash & Elvis Presley - take your pick!

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's fine with me, I think there was some magic caught in that video. There's no point seeing her sing it without that strong vulnerability thing she did. If this was 'best video for cover version ever' thread, then she would win hands down. Still gets me whenever I watch it.

Am sure i read it was about her split from her bf and they were genuine tears about it. No matter i'm the same it came out when I had been though a difficult time and still gets me.

15 hours ago, Jugtanion said:

All of these. Whiskey in the jar is incredible as well. Metallica completely make it their own. In fact, the first garage inc disc is an absolute tour de force

Pretty much exactly what I was gonna post.  Love Garage Inc.

10 hours ago, Odessa said:

The Futureheads - Hounds of Love is my favourite.

Belter.  Really did something different with it which made it theirs.  Best way to cover something IMO.