Campervan/Gazebo

Slugworth

The Glasto website says manufacturers awnings are acceptable but I know people who've put up gazebos.  You can also have a tent in your plot (in theory in front of not alongside to reduce the risk ofr contiguous fire). The main thing is that what you've got must fit in the allocated space, which is notionally 7 metres x 8 metres.

We managed to buy the only motorhome for sale in the uk without a pullout awning so we were thinking of getting a pop up gazebo to put next to it at G, but apart from chill out Tuesday I'm not sure if we will actually be at the MH other than in it asleep.

and even if we are, if its raining we will be inside and if not then I'll be soaking up the Rays, so we have decided not to bother.

depending on what you have hired it may come with a pullout/wind out awning, worth checking to see.

8 hours ago, Smeble said:

We managed to buy the only motorhome for sale in the uk without a pullout awning so we were thinking of getting a pop up gazebo to put next to it at G, but apart from chill out Tuesday I'm not sure if we will actually be at the MH other than in it asleep.

and even if we are, if its raining we will be inside and if not then I'll be soaking up the Rays, so we have decided not to bother.

depending on what you have hired it may come with a pullout/wind out awning, worth checking to see.

I have a caravan with a full awning, doors, walls and groundsheet etc but it takes time to fit and put up.  So I've bought a second hand pull out Fiamma awning (often referred to as 'an awning in a bag') for £70 just to use for festivals and times when I'm on my own.  Can be pulled out and set up by one person in less than five minutes.

I smoke, but not in the caravan, so if I want to sit outside just for a ciggy it's just the job should it be on the damp side (can't bring myself to use the R - word).

We take a smallish gazebo with sides so it doesn't exploit the allowed space and we have never had any issues. Is great if it is too hot (!) as you can sit and relax in it, great if it rains for wet and muddy wellies, boots and coats and to sit in, as well as storage for the aquaroll, etc.

We always have family members, who camp elsewhere, visit us on the Thursday so the extra space for fold up chairs and food, is useful. Hanging solar lights on it helps us find our way home at night!!

We stayed in the camper fields last year. Lots of people had gazebos. 

My brother had one with sides for his vw camper as that doesn't have an awning. He and his girlfriend used it as a dressing area as they couldn't stand up in the van! 

per DillyBlue, a small gazebo will work well if (heaven forbid) there is rain and mud...

i hired a campervan in 2007 (torrential) and it was a godsend to take boots and coats off rather than dragging crap through the van...

when you park up, tell them you have an awning and they will give you the space..

15 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

per DillyBlue, a small gazebo will work well if (heaven forbid) there is rain and mud...

i hired a campervan in 2007 (torrential) and it was a godsend to take boots and coats off rather than dragging crap through the van...

when you park up, tell them you have an awning and they will give you the space..

This. Anything to allow you to get wellies and coats off and manage mud outside the van will be a great benefit.

The stewards will give you enough space when you tell them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.
Slightly different question, but along the same lines..
I have been going to Glastonbury for years, but this is our first time with a campervan.
I can see that you are allowed to pitch tents next to the van - so does this mean our mates can come and camp next to us (just a couple in one tent, not the whole gang)?

Cheers

Edited by vampira77

50 minutes ago, vampira77 said:

Hi everyone.
Slightly different question, but along the same lines..
I have been going to Glastonbury for years, but this is our first time with a campervan.
I can see that you are allowed to pitch tents next to the van - so does this mean our mates can come and camp next to us (just a couple in one tent, not the whole gang)?

Cheers

It does indeed, there's usually a gap you can fit a vehicle and tent into.

Thanks Clarkete,

This will be my 16th Glasto, so pretty sorted on that front, but have been reading all the Campervan field related posts on here and it looks like i'll have to bring a funnel and hose for the water taps. I actually might invest in a second water tank as those queues sound like they can take a while.

I'm getting down there on Tuesday and it sounds like the atmosphere is great in the CV fields. Can't wait :)

14 hours ago, vampira77 said:

This will be my 16th Glasto, so pretty sorted on that front, but have been reading all the Campervan field related posts on here and it looks like i'll have to bring a funnel and hose for the water taps. I actually might invest in a second water tank as those queues sound like they can take a while.

I have a second aquaroll. It's really handy to be able to just swap over when one is empty, then the empty one can be refilled at leisure instead of having to go and queue when it's particularly busy. A handy thing to take with you is a hose of the diameter of a washing machine waste hose. Fits nicely on the standpipe tap and the large diameter can cope with the higher flow rate. Fills your aquaroll in no time! :D

2 hours ago, Pear_Cider said:

A handy thing to take with you is a hose of the diameter of a washing machine waste hose. Fits nicely on the standpipe tap and the large diameter can cope with the higher flow rate. Fills your aquaroll in no time! :D

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but...I would be careful about using a hose to fit on the standpipe - a funnel is best. I say this because I stumbled across an old post of mine here from a couple of years ago where I related an incident from another festival I went to.

I was in the queue for the standpipe when I saw someone holding up his caravan loo container right up to the tap! He had just emptied it and was rinsing it out without any thought for the next person wanting to fill his own water container from the same tap. 

At the very least, take some Flash Wipes to clean the standpipe tap in and out before using it!

(Needless to say, I bollocked him very loudly in front of everybody in the queue and he was suitably remorseful - some people just don't think!)

Hi guys,

Have been in a motorhome once at the festival before but at the time was a lazy member of the group and didn't take much to do with the practical side of things. This time is a bit different and people are actually looking to me for answers lol ! So would appreciate if you experienced folks could help me out with a couple of things :

1. We have purchased a 50l Aqua roll type water container and I was wondering how you actually go about refilling the on board tank. We have an autoroller 747 and I have no idea if the filling point will be up high, ie do we have to somehow lift 50l of water up to a height to refill ! If so any tips on achieving this. Lol I have no clue, apologies !

2. From reading this post we have decided to chance it and take a gazebo which we have purchased today. We have gone for a 3m x 3m but now that I've got the measuring tape out to give me an idea of size that actually looks really big. Do they really give you that much room at the rear/front of the van as I believe having anything at the side is prohibited.

3. We have the bottle of gas and one spare that are provided by the hire company. Will this be enough to keep the fridge etc going for the duration ? If not can additional be purchased at the festival camping store or is it best to get before.

Appreciate any help/advice anybody can offer. Getting excited now, not long to go and I see tickets are starting to appear for some folks !!

Thanks

Edited by imrickjamesbitch

1 hour ago, imrickjamesbitch said:

Hi guys,

Have been in a motorhome once at the festival before but at the time was a lazy member of the group and didn't take much to do with the practical side of things. This time is a bit different and people are actually looking to me for answers lol ! So would appreciate if you experienced folks could help me out with a couple of things :

1. We have purchased a 50l Aqua roll type water container and I was wondering how you actually go about refilling the on board tank. We have an autoroller 747 and I have no idea if the filling point will be up high, ie do we have to somehow lift 50l of water up to a height to refill ! If so any tips on achieving this. Lol I have no clue, apologies !

A. you should have a pump that will take water from the aquaroll to the on board tank....

2. From reading this post we have decided to chance it and take a gazebo which we have purchased today. We have gone for a 3m x 3m but now that I've got the measuring tape out to give me an idea of size that actually looks really big. Do they really give you that much room at the rear/front of the van as I believe having anything at the side is prohibited.

A. Dont Panic... tell the stewards (12 year olds normally) that you need space for an awning/gazebo... it will be all good.. 

3. We have the bottle of gas and one spare that are provided by the hire company. Will this be enough to keep the fridge etc going for the duration ? If not can additional be purchased at the festival camping store or is it best to get before.

A. 2 gas bottles will be enough.. we take 2 , use the fridge, cooker and shower and dont go thru it all... I do NOT believe you can buy gas on site..

Appreciate any help/advice anybody can offer. Getting excited now, not long to go and I see tickets are starting to appear for some folks !!

Thanks