Spliffs at Glastonbury

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember talking to a police officer at Glastonbury a couple of years ago on a Saturday evening and asking him what he'd be doing that night were he not at Glastonbury.

"Dealing with the drunks at chucking out time in Frome," he said.  Adding: "It's much easier being here with a field full of stoned out hippies."

6 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Does this change the bag-search policy on entry though? I've been searched but wasn't holding at the time, but always assumed they would confiscate contraband. Can anyone confirm either way.

I've always thought bag searching was super random. I've never been searched at Glastonbury. When I was in hospitality in 14 I had my handbag checked going through interstage sometimes 

8 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

I remember talking to a police officer at Glastonbury a couple of years ago on a Saturday evening and asking him what he'd be doing that night were he not at Glastonbury.

"Dealing with the drunks at chucking out time in Frome," he said.  Adding: "It's much easier being here with a field full of stoned out hippies."

Love that, made me giggle!

Just now, princess4747 said:

I've always thought bag searching was super random. I've never been searched at Glastonbury. When I was in hospitality in 14 I had my handbag checked going through interstage sometimes 

Yes it seems random. I got searched on Sunday '14 re-entering after loading up the car for a late getaway. All I had was my day-sack.  Perhaps a Sunday entrant with a day sack seems more likely to be a dealer than a Wednesday entrant with a 65 litre backpack.

7 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Does this change the bag-search policy on entry though? I've been searched but wasn't holding at the time, but always assumed they would confiscate contraband. Can anyone confirm either way.

The bag search is entirely random and will be for both drugs and glass.

Not sure on what's done if anything illegal is found.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I would not like to find out, I don't fancy getting searched at all, i know someone who got caught going into TITP this year, I can't imagine anything worse than getting knocked back at the door 

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

They take it off you.

Also its not completely at random. Strolling in at 8pm on a Friday when its quieter with two huge bags on your back will guarantee a search! Right down to the little compartments in your wallet, wellies etc. 

Found out the hard way on both above points.

My mate got searched on entry 3 years ago. The deal is 'give up your stash and we'll let you enter, or wait til we find it and we'll take your ticket'. He held out for all of a minute until he saw how thoroughly they were going t through his stuff.

If you're camping there is only the risk one one bag search.  If you are in the CV Fields there is the risk of a search every day when you go in.  I saw quite a few being bag searched going in from the CV Fields last year. I suppose even if they are taking a more relaxed view on cannabis there are still other things they will be hot on.

One year I went to the IoW and, because it's an arena festival, you go in every day from the campsite.  Not only were they doing bag searches, as you can't take in your own booze, but they also had police sniffer dogs at the turnstiles.

13 minutes ago, JamieKThomas said:

Good news! But yes you'd have to be an arrogant bastard to smoke weed in front of kids. 

Agreed. Even though my partner and I smoke it, we never smoke in front of people and rarely stand there and have a ciggie if nobody else is. It's just consideratation. 

I'm sure it was on this boards I heard a great story about someone trying to take some weed into IOW. 

They'd heard about the sniffer dogs and so came up with the great idea of hiding the weed in a ziplock bag inside a large jar of marmite - thus disguising any smell. They had a bag full of other random food; bread, jam etc so it all looked legit. Queuing up they started to sweat as the cops and the sniffer dogs got to work, but sure enough, the dogs ignored them.  Just about to enter, the security guys gave the routine search, and pulled out the jar of marmite, regarded it for a moment and then tossed it into the bin. "No glass, mate!"

12 minutes ago, ltfckimbo said:

My mate got searched on entry 3 years ago. The deal is 'give up your stash and we'll let you enter, or wait til we find it and we'll take your ticket'. He held out for all of a minute until he saw how thoroughly they were going t through his stuff.

sounds like the w*nkers where taking it for themselves.

it happened to me entering the arena in an other festival the fella searched my bumbag and found 10 e's , he said give them up or your getting thrown out, i called his bluff gave him 2pils and walked on. 

needless to say  i immediately started regretting my decision and went to the 1st charity stall and bought a new t-shirt. But i claimed the Victory for that 1 :)

30 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

somebody I know was searched a couple of years ago and had various substances. The security gave back the cannabis but kept everything else.

21 minutes ago, princess4747 said:

I do have pretty good advice with regards to the topic. Not something I would openly share for fear of being frowned upon. I found festivals with a younger demographic to be stricter on bag searches. 

The advice is always welcome, especially if it's something we've not heard before! We hid our stash in ham sandwiches last year. Worked a treat :P

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Surely you're all taking about bag searches by security,  not by coppers? 

The police have search tents just before the main gates on weds & pick random people out for full on through your bags searches. But going between the campervan field and the site throughout the weekend, security do random bag & pocket searches which is what most people mean I think