Spliffs at Glastonbury

Sawdusty surfer

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You left your mate behind??

Hmm, I'll clarify, slightly long story, but our group had 2 cars, my mate was in the other car, and I got lumbered with driving his bandmates in my car. One of those bandmates was searched, and I'd only met him that morning, and we weren't even camping together. He was also a royal pain in the arse (said he wasn't coming to Glasto at all because he couldn't afford it), then shows up at my mate's house on the Thursday morning expecting a lift. Cue much grumbling from me at having to reorganise the boot and everyone having to put luggage on their laps. So leaving him behind was to me, justified!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, stixmcvix said:

Hmm, I'll clarify, slightly long story, but our group had 2 cars, my mate was in the other car, and I got lumbered with driving his bandmates in my car. One of those bandmates was searched, and I'd only met him that morning, and we weren't even camping together. He was also a royal pain in the arse (said he wasn't coming to Glasto at all because he couldn't afford it), then shows up at my mate's house on the Thursday morning expecting a lift. Cue much grumbling from me at having to reorganise the boot and everyone having to put luggage on their laps. So leaving him behind was to me, justified!

Fair enough, he sounds like a nightmare.

11 hours ago, Glastoboy said:

I've been thoroughly searched at the gates of countless festivals (including Glastonbury). Believe me the only safe places are your pants or your socks. Nobody has the right (including the police) to make you remove either - except in a police station.

11 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

Is that actually true? I've never known anyone personally but I know friends of friends who've been sniffed at the entrance to festivals and then been given the option of "give up what youve got and you can go in so we don't waste the sniffer dogs time" or "we're going to strip search you until we find it and then refuse you entry if so", they went for the latter and found 2 spliffs inside the girls bra and refused her entry or so I've been told (This was by actual police btw)

While working Bestival last year I also may of came across the portaloo they use to strip search people in as well... I needed the toilet but all the public portaloos were out of paper so the security showed me to a portaloo that was fenced off from the public and only accessible by security/police, inside there was quite a lot of used rubber gloves. I can't confirm exactly where they'd be prodding around with them on but I have an idea...

Back to Glastonbury, I don't think I've ever seen any police when entering Glastonbury and I don't know anyone who's ever gotten searched, I've only ever gotten the coach though so whether it's different for drivers I don't know. I'd really hate to get searched, I'm terrible at packing and I'd never be able to get it all back in :( 

They can set up a portacabin or mobile police station, and search you on site.  But you'd have to give them cause to go to them lengths

You definitely can be strip searched, just copied this from the citizens advice website. 

A more thorough search or a strip search may take place in private, for example in a police van. A strip search must be made by a police officer of the same sex.

Charm x

7 minutes ago, Charm said:

You definitely can be strip searched, just copied this from the citizens advice website. 

A more thorough search or a strip search may take place in private, for example in a police van. A strip search must be made by a police officer of the same sex.

Charm x

yea as long as they can be done in private, ive been strip searched twice re-entering festivals on the sunday after getting booze from the car.    You can imagine how i must look by sunday

We were pulled of the motorway on the M5 going through Stroud in 2009. There was a massive police operation at play with sniffer dogs and search tents. They were pulling cars off the motorway. My mate had something in his possession that he shouldn't have but they didn't find anything. They used the swabbing machine on each of us so luckily none of us are regular users so we hadn't come into contact with anything or handled the contraband within a few days so no issue. The police were targeting festival goers. Last year was the first year I didn't see any police cars sitting on the hard shoulder so perhaps that operation has stopped.  

19 hours ago, JoeyT said:

The bag search is entirely random and will be for both drugs and glass.

Not sure on what's done if anything illegal is found.

Entirely random but I've never been searched in 12 festivals while the guys we camp with that look and dress like hippies got searched at around half of them....

12 hours ago, Glastoboy said:

I've been thoroughly searched at the gates of countless festivals (including Glastonbury). Believe me the only safe places are your pants or your socks. Nobody has the right (including the police) to make you remove either - except in a police station.

For the police, sure. For security, they don't have the right to do anything, including searching you at all. On the other hand, they do have the right to deny you entry.

Security searched us in 2013 on the way in as it was a slow time (we were working so coming in at a non punter time). The main arse of it was that we had packed really really carefully and then it all just gets dumped on the table. It was actually quite humiliating. And their attitude, needless to say was beyond mardy.

32 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Security searched us in 2013 on the way in as it was a slow time (we were working so coming in at a non punter time). The main arse of it was that we had packed really really carefully and then it all just gets dumped on the table. It was actually quite humiliating. And their attitude, needless to say was beyond mardy.

That's what worries me most about searches.  The idea of grimly repacking knowing that it was hard enough squeezing it all in in the comfort of your own home.  

Edited by Spindles

3 hours ago, mungo57 said:

yep.

As far as I can tell, from looking at Police search guidelines, unless they want to segregate you and search you privately then they can't ask you to take off shoes, socks, underwear. I don't even think they are technically allowed to have you take your hat off.

Use your loaves guys, and you will get whatever you like in. 

oh yeah they definitely can't do it in front of people but do they not usually have a place to take you where they can search you privately provided they have valid suspicion i.e. a sniffer dog has smelt you?

That seemed to be the case at Parklife and Bestival last year but not sure if all festivals have it

edit: sorry didn't see Gerard's response, question answered 

Edited by jonodillieono

1 hour ago, gerardfenton18 said:

yea as long as they can be done in private, ive been strip searched twice re-entering festivals on the sunday after getting booze from the car.    You can imagine how i must look by sunday

Is that based on the time you were re-entering and the state of you on Sunday alone? Hardly seems like valid reason for suspicion if so. 

As there's no sniffer dogs at Glastonbury is it possible to give police valid reason to strip search you? Other than having something obviously suspicious like a massive bulge in your socks?

2 minutes ago, Couchy said:

Only been mandatory searched at fests like BBL, Global & Bestival.

They search a lot of people at Glastonbury though, more than I would have thought with the volume of people trying to get in.

I'm surprised, I've literally never known a single person who has. I dunno if it's different at each gate like but Gate A I've never even seen anyone getting searched going in. 

When entering CV West a couple of years ago in my self build Campervan, security were checking for glass bottles.  I had a dozen bottles of chilled Corona in the (right in front of your eyes) fridge and thought "bugger I've lost them". Two of them searched EVERYWHERE for about 5 mins (with mirrors on the end of sticks) and found ......nothing.  It was like the scene in Life of Brian when the Romans pile into a room searching for the conspirators hidden behind curtains.

Lesson = Hide things in plain sight!

1 hour ago, jonodillieono said:

Is that based on the time you were re-entering and the state of you on Sunday alone? Hardly seems like valid reason for suspicion if so. 

As there's no sniffer dogs at Glastonbury is it possible to give police valid reason to strip search you? Other than having something obviously suspicious like a massive bulge in your socks?

Yea well one of the times id been going strong from Friday, no sleep, me and a mate where pretty out of it walking through with a case of beer each. But im not saying it was a valid reason but lets be honest the state we were in if they were going to pick anyone it was us.

luckily neither of us had any,

o

7 minutes ago, timbrass said:

When entering CV West a couple of years ago in my self build Campervan, security were checking for glass bottles.  I had a dozen bottles of chilled Corona in the (right in front of your eyes) fridge and thought "bugger I've lost them". Two of them searched EVERYWHERE for about 5 mins (with mirrors on the end of sticks) and found ......nothing.  It was like the scene in Life of Brian when the Romans pile into a room searching for the conspirators hidden behind curtains.

Lesson = Hide things in plain sight!

The last two years of staying in the cv fields they have asked about glass bottles and we just showed them the decanted booze and we got waved straight through so if you keep them in the front with you you're good to go