Festival no 6 or ETR

ghandi

Having not been lucky in October and not trying in April resale due to lack of time and money two of our crew ( me and a mate) are looking at Festival no6 and ETR in the first weekend of September as the earliest fests we can attend ( and last! ) , I've been looking at both and I am intrigued as to whether anyone has been to either and their opinions as I know peeps on here that have been to many another festival. I know this thread may disappear in the hectic glasto posting that goes on at this time of the year, so before your next line up post hits can I have some opinion , experiences of either to help us make up our minds?

Cheers :)

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I haven't been to either, however I have done Bestival and loved it. Of all the festivals I've done, it is by far the closest to Glastonbury in spirit.

That's comforting to hear as I've got tickets to Bestival but not Glastonbury (yet) 

Can only comment on End of the Road.... to say,

It's great! I suppose the closest thing to it at Glastonbury is to say it's like the Park both in line-up and atmosphere. Very low idiot quota, always a great line up (well, depending on your taste). Nice and small, friendly, loads of real ale. Very low w***er count. Lovely location. Lots of attention to detail on the site. They have the Cider Bus there. 

Depending on what you are after, the only thing that may ptu some off is that there isn't much if you want to party well into the early hours. There is stuff to do at night, but after the bands it's fairly low key. It also gets very gold at night, but is fine if you are prepared. 

An excellent festival though. My favourite. Video from 2013:

I love EOTR, just a brilliantly relaxing enjoyable festival. Small and manageable, great fun. Lovely community feeling. My only complaint is that it can sometimes feel a little staid, you get viewed askance if you dare to have more than 3 pints in any given 24 hour period. 

Went to No6 last year,it's in a stunning location and the village is quite surreal,some of the best food I've had at a festival,I did enjoy it but the only drawback is they close the village at night effectively halving the festival ,it would of been better if they kept it open because all the sound systems in the woods are through the village and that would of been ace at night.It's quite well to do,the pink pastel shorts and espardrilles brigade are out in force here

If you do go my top tip camp at the far end of the campsite the view of the mountains in the morning is magnificent 

Love EOTR and Yokel Again has pretty much summed it up. 

Overall I would say its more like a cross between Avalon and the Park.  No overcrowding issues at all and so it seems very laid back and If there were 4 things on at once you would be able to go and catch a few songs from each.  Its the sort of festival you go to and have nothing to complain about afterwards.  Even Andy's loo's are the best festival toilets I've been to.  Food is also the best at any festival I've been to.  I honestly didn't see a food place that I wouldn't eat from.  Not a single crappy burger van is allowed on site

Really 'nice' atmosphere but not a lot of choice after dark.  There is some dj's in the woods area which is normally 80's and cheese and such like which is fun for a bit.  Theres a cool indoor place where they show music documentaries and films and such.

If you like the lineup then definitely go.

I really want to go Green Man and festival No 6 but the last 2 years have been unable to and this year the lineup isn't enough for me to justify going. They're both a 4 hour trek aswell  

edit - to say although there is a seperate arena from camping - you can take your beer through unlike Latitude, Reading, V etc-

Edited by splinterbungee

16 minutes ago, splinterbungee said:

Love EOTR and Yokel Again has pretty much summed it up. 

Overall I would say its more like a cross between Avalon and the Park.  No overcrowding issues at all and so it seems very laid back and If there were 4 things on at once you would be able to go and catch a few songs from each.  Its the sort of festival you go to and have nothing to complain about afterwards.  Even Andy's loo's are the best festival toilets I've been to.  Food is also the best at any festival I've been to.  I honestly didn't see a food place that I wouldn't eat from.  Not a single crappy burger van is allowed on site

Really 'nice' atmosphere but not a lot of choice after dark.  There is some dj's in the woods area which is normally 80's and cheese and such like which is fun for a bit.  Theres a cool indoor place where they show music documentaries and films and such.

If you like the lineup then definitely go.

I really want to go Green Man and festival No 6 but the last 2 years have been unable to and this year the lineup isn't enough for me to justify going. They're both a 4 hour trek aswell  

edit - to say although there is a seperate arena from camping - you can take your beer through unlike Latitude, Reading, V etc-

Agree with all of this.

It's also a very 'easy' festival due to its size. No lugging stuff for miles, you can get between stages easy and down the front easy. Loads for the kids if you have them. Good comedy, good film. Very safe feeling. Great food. 

I fancy Festival no.6 one year, but will be alternating Glastonbury & EOTR for the next few years still I think.

Another vote for EOTR here - went for the first time last year - solo - and had a great time.  Would echo all the comments above.  Wasn't as enamoured by the lineup this year, but then they went and announced the Fannies, didn't they? So will be there again this year.

That said, I do fancy giving No6 a go one year as well. Not as motor home friendly unfortunately.

If you like the top end of the line up you are also bound to find loads of stuff on the undercard that you hadn't heard of that you will end up liking. The first couplef of years we went I saw some of what are now my favourite bands playing there. Easy to cram loads of bands in over the course of the weekend, without any pressure of 'missing out' on a super big name. 

Thanks, pro's and cons for both though obviously in the main more on here been to EOTR than Fest no 6. I'm tempted by the more low key EOTR as Avalon and Park are my favourite areas of Glasto. The line ups good at fest 6 with some very interesting other musical events such as the Bowie orchest tribute and DJ moby, Criag Charles et al for late night stuff which is more to my mates taste. The 6 hour trip from London to fest 6 against the 2/2-3 hr to EOTR is against it, also the weather might by pants in Sth wales in September against that of Dorset for that time of the year. I've had my fill of Tossers ( excuse me on that but you know what I mean) at Glasto, though don't get me wrong i'll be back in again on October for a ticket :) , though if fest no 6 is a posers fest maybe it's not for me.

Look forward to reading more posts/replies before we make up our mind.

I went to F No 6 last year, I had a really great time, but I don't feel any great pull to go back in a hurry. The location, as many have said, is stunning, gives it a really unique feel. The food gives Glastonbury a run for its money, possibly even better; but the food does differ in that it tends to be more high-end and consequently more expensive. The big problem is that everywhere felt massively overcrowded, outside of the field where the main music stages were, everything was packed. The crowds felt pretty relentless, which I really hate. If the line up is good (last year's was the only one so far that has appealed) it has the potential to be a really really good festival, but I personally find crowding to be a big sticking point.

I've only been to FN6 so I can only assume about EOTR; but I imagine the big difference would be how the music takes a backseat at FN6 whereas it seems that the music is the driving force for EOTR goers. You can spend so many hours not even venturing into the main arena at FN6 for all the things to explore in the village and the arts and literature stuff they have going on, so you could really easily make do without a full schedule of acts to see.

Went to EOTR last year and have tickets for this year too.  All of the above, small and really well put together.  From the crowd surfing on Thursday night, to the top comedy in the wood late every night. The sound quality was outstanding at all of the stages and the site is lovely. Its not cheap though, and the headliners aren't huge, but you can see where they spend the money. Know about 50% of the acts on and the other 50% where pretty much all good finds.

Also the very best food I've ever come across at any festival, and i have done a couple over the years now.