Newbie with alcohol requirements

Somnus Wanderer

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Somnus Wanderer said:

Hi, 

I'm Mark & this will be my first Glasto, little bit excited...

I've read that you can't take alcohol into the arena. Is this true?. Can this be circumvented, or will I have to pay £8.50 for a pint?

Cheers

There is no Arena, you can take what you like where you like, & pints were £4.50 last year I think 

2 minutes ago, Somnus Wanderer said:

Hi, 

I've read that you can't take alcohol into the arena. Is this true?. Can this be circumvented, or will I have to pay £8.50 for a pint?

Cheers

No it's not true (there isn't really an 'arena' at Glastonbury) and the beers are about £4 a pint anyway.

3 minutes ago, Somnus Wanderer said:

Hi, 

Cheers

Hi Mark

by requirements do you have a drinking problem?;)

there is no Arena as such, you are free to take what ever where ever you want.  You can wonder from one stage to another witha back pack full of beer. also a pint £4 I think. 

so don't worry, although I only carry my drink around on Sunday

3 minutes ago, Somnus Wanderer said:

Hi, 

Cheers

Welcome aboard mark. Nice start ;)

Take as much booze as you can carry wherever you like!

Be warned, it's a lonnnnnng trek from car to pitch though!

One of the best stories someone posted on here was about a bloke with all his gear just inside one of the gates on a mobile phone to his mates, surveying the vastness that is the festival site saying (I'm paraphrasing):

"Yeah, you know we said we'd met at the campsite? We need to rethink things. You should SEE this place!!!"

54 minutes ago, Woffy said:

One of the best stories someone posted on here was about a bloke with all his gear just inside one of the gates on a mobile phone to his mates, surveying the vastness that is the festival site saying (I'm paraphrasing):

"Yeah, you know we said we'd met at the campsite? We need to rethink things. You should SEE this place!!!"

That was here, an amusing thread also 

1 hour ago, Somnus Wanderer said:

Thanks for the quick heads up.

That's a weight off my mind & bank balance.

Cheers

Just out of interest, where did you read it?  It sounds like someone is spreading mischievous information or has never been.

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

very funny - years ago when Gate D was closer - they had a staff car park right next to the wall and that is where I parked - had to get back to London for some reason or other so loaded up overnight early Monday morning - I did this over a few trips - I had my torch { lucky I did } and the beam reflected something under the front wheel so I had a look and there found a dozen glass bottles of Lager - I reckon someone was shifting stuff from their car and they just tried to carry everything and just could not make it so hide the bottles under the nearest vehicle which was my little van - I would have been well pissed off if I had not noticed and then got a puncture as I reversed out of the space.

Some people just don't think - as you know it can be a long walk just from the car parks.

I spotted these two bright sparks - must have been such a good idea ' until the right hand wheel of their Council Wheelie Bin ' fell off and that guy would never have made it to the end of that field - one thing is certain - I doubt they Never took that Wheelie Bin back home.

Now that was a dry year - if it had been muddy they would never have reached that field.

People have to plan ahead and assume the worst ground conditions and not assume its all flat concrete roads as they wont find any.

I have seen that area { very near Gate D } with stuff dumped all along the side because the ground was heavy going - makes a right mess. 

They have to be realistic and only transport what they need. 

0391.jpg

2 hours ago, Somnus Wanderer said:

Hi, 

Cheers

It's not a gig in a field it's a festival .... And for a £5 deposit you can drink you beer or cider in a steel tankard .... No more paper cups for me :beach:

25 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

very funny - years ago when Gate D was closer - they had a staff car park right next to the wall and that is where I parked - had to get back to London for some reason or other so loaded up overnight early Monday morning - I did this over a few trips - I had my torch { lucky I did } and the beam reflected something under the front wheel so I had a look and there found a dozen glass bottles of Lager - I reckon someone was shifting stuff from their car and they just tried to carry everything and just could not make it so hide the bottles under the nearest vehicle which was my little van - I would have been well pissed off if I had not noticed and then got a puncture as I reversed out of the space.

Some people just don't think - as you know it can be a long walk just from the car parks.

I spotted these two bright sparks - must have been such a good idea ' until the right hand wheel of their Council Wheelie Bin ' fell off and that guy would never have made it to the end of that field - one thing is certain - I doubt they Never took that Wheelie Bin back home.

Now that was a dry year - if it had been muddy they would never have reached that field.

People have to plan ahead and assume the worst ground conditions and not assume its all flat concrete roads as they wont find any.

I have seen that area { very near Gate D } with stuff dumped all along the side because the ground was heavy going - makes a right mess. 

They have to be realistic and only transport what they need. 

0391.jpg

The trail of destruction from the car parks is usually pretty spectacular. Broken sack trucks, wheels from various contraptions. & the remains of cardboard beer crates people tried carrying but failed spectacularly with. The entry is the part that catches newbies out the most, with no idea what to expect, far too many come very unprepared 

I'd recommend taking loads of spirits, you can buy cold mixers on site (saves the weight) and a case of beer or cider for the mornings (when its still cold enough to enjoy) red wine in a box is a good shout also! Id love to see your face when you see the place for the first time! Have a great festival!! 

43 minutes ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

The trail of destruction from the car parks is usually pretty spectacular. Broken sack trucks, wheels from various contraptions. & the remains of cardboard beer crates people tried carrying but failed spectacularly with. The entry is the part that catches newbies out the most, with no idea what to expect, far too many come very unprepared 

I agree, but I really don't think it's just newbies. The sheer number of people who bring too much stuff using kit obviously not fit for the job means that there has to be a decent percentage of returnees in there. I'm absolutely convinced there's people out there making the same mistakes year on year on year - and being surprised by it each time.

4 hours ago, Somnus Wanderer said:

Hi, 

Cheers

The arena 

You're in for a great surprise when you get to Glastonbury, you won't believe the goings on compared to an arena style fest

take as much as you want old son ..you cant buy it like you used to be able to lol

i remember the old days when people went around selling cases or as was more likely £2 a can or 3 for a £5 lol ...up where we camp now Row Mead there was a group of scousers and they had this huge like 1960s style tent and it was RAMMED with stella lol funny as and each time one of the lads had sold his case up the hill he would come grab another and was off again ..they must have made a fortune back then lol

i also remember once being just a little worse for wear near the bridge to the world stage and arguing [ well telling ] this bloke that was doing them at £1.50 a can that NO it was 3 for a fiver and hes like NO  £1.50 and this went on for a few mins till my wife pointed out that he wasnt being greedy and was cheaper than most SO when that clicked i brought my cans and stayed with him selling his cases outa a wheel barrow lol ......those were the days lol