Camping / Festival Hacks!!

Jne___

12 hours ago, carlosj said:

Is this realistic as a mini shower for hair washing, rather than big buckets? I've seen them at garden stalls as a watering device on a standard plastic pop bottle, so it may be ok for a quick wash and easier to pack.

Nutley's Bottle Top Waterers (Set of 4)

One of my best buys was this shower! You realise how much a hot, powerful shower on a morning sorts you out. 100% recommend 1 of these and a popup utility tent for your camp.

8873640329246.jpg

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, AndyRaine said:

One of my best buys was this shower! You realise how much a hot, powerful shower on a morning sorts you out. 100% recommend 1 of these and a popup utility tent for your camp.

8873640329246.jpg

smashing idea, i've always used plastic bottles with holes in or paid for zooloos 

17 hours ago, blackred said:

I do something similar with a fold up water carrier, find the spout gives it a bit of pressure to make hair washing easier. Nothing like dousing your head in freezing cold water to clear those morning cobwebs!

Leave a half full fold up water carrier in a black bin bag in the sun in the morning.  About 3-5pm cheap solar shower.

Edited by Spindles

17 hours ago, shuttlep said:

my friend who is  a lady, swears by her Pissy Tub. ordinary Tupperware tub, just pop in you bag and empty at the first loos you pass. 

For half a mo I thought you were talking about a brand and was suitably intrigued, but don't make the mistake of searching for that expression with the initial caps.  I should have known better but it was late at night.

As for wiping hands and wristbands, IMHO first thing you should do through the gate is trim those straggly ends to stop them getting in the way.

11 hours ago, Waapster said:

Whilst I completely agree with this, in 2014 watching the Black Keys I got talking to a bunch of 4 women celebrating their collective 60th birthdays that year. One took out a little pot and painted some purple in the front of my hair. 

On the Monday when I got home I had to use white spirit to get the paint off.

Haha this is very true I typically end up going back to work with multicoloured eye brows.

Superb Cheese and Tomato toasties Nigel. If you walk past the entrances to kids field and accoustic/cinema on your left with the meeting place on your right it's up that stretch just past accoustic if I remember correctly. There's also a great local bakery along the same stretch that does freshly baked bread for those home made bacon sandwiches too!:)

4 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Mine has been and always will be put on my right hand. Yes I also use that hand to wipe.

I've never ever had such a lack of control of said situation where by I've covered my wristband in excrement.

What on earth do you people who apparently can't trust themselves to wipe in an orderly manor do?!

Well the size of your wrist determines how big the hanging tassly bit can be. Wrist circumference varies hugely so it's perfectly possible for someone to have a good few inches more hanging off the end. A quick change in the wind and...

I do find it worth bringing a small pair of scissors to cut off the excess regardless.

Elsewhere, as others have suggested - bin bags are brilliant. They're a waterproof in an emergency. You can put them on the floor to sit on if it's wet/muddy (especially handy if you're in the Cabaret/Circus areas a lot). You can put muddy clothes in them and tie them up to stop the mud getting anywhere else. You can keep clean clothes in different ones to ensure they stay dry even following tent leakage/spillage...

37 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I've never once had to take a piss in my tent? At festivals I usually sleep from 7/8am until 12/1pm I guess all the liquid is gone at that stage.

I've had to once or twice. It's usually at the crack of dawn after a night of drinking. My boyfriend does it frequently too. You gotta do what you gotta do. 

39 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I've never once had to take a piss in my tent? At festivals I usually sleep from 7/8am until 12/1pm I guess all the liquid is gone at that stage.

Mate - I must be considerably older or more incontinent than you, there's no way after the sheer amount of festival cider I consume I could hold it for that long!!! 

49 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I have the bladder of a 70 year old incontinent woman, seriously. Have to go to the loo a couple of times per night, drives me bloody insane.

When I was younger, I used to actually put my clothes and wellies on and go to the portaloos in the dark - possibly one of the more miserable experiences of my life!

Once I discovered that I could quite confidently pee in a receptacle in my tent porch, it was a game changer. Still a pain in the arse clambering out my sleeping bag into the cold damp porch to do it, but far better than the alternative!

22 hours ago, MissStarlight said:

My top tip for Glasto: bring a welly jack!

I did this last year - life changing.

No more struggling to get your wellies off at night. 

I know what you'll say - it's easy to get your wellies off without one. I say rubbish! The first welly is fine, because you can use your other welly-clad foot to get it off....but what then? Now you have a mud soaked welly on one foot, and a bare, socked foot which you ideally don't want to smear in mud in an attempt to get the second welly off.

This is where the welly jack SHINES. It'll get that bad boy off in no time. No more muddy socks.

Mine cost me £6 and I fucking love it.

welly.jpeg

Thanks for this. Never knew such a thing existed! Just bough on ebay. Marvellous.

1 minute ago, muddychick said:

Thanks for this. Never knew such a thing existed! Just bough on ebay. Marvellous.

The key with this is that you still take your first welly off without the jack - just using your other foot. Then to take the second welly off, use the jack.

If you use the jack to take off both wellies, the base will get covered in mud, and it'll defeat the object (of not getting feet/hands covered in mud).

21 hours ago, musky said:

Page 4 and nobody's mentioned getting your wristband put on the hand you don't wipe with. :o

I brought this up a couple of years ago and got shouted down! I recall watching a dirty handed man buttering toast on a food stall a few years ago with his wristband dangling in the butter. Right handed so likely a right handed wiper :o

5 minutes ago, muddychick said:

I brought this up a couple of years ago and got shouted down! I recall watching a dirty handed man buttering toast on a food stall a few years ago with his wristband dangling in the butter. Right handed so likely a right handed wiper :o

Nasty.

If he prepared the full breakfast it gives a whole new meaning to streaky bacon.

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 2:40 PM, The Nal said:

Its better than this one certainly.

Festival-Toilet.jpg

The best part of that pic is the thumbs up (like he's just been asked if he's ok) :lol:

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's a good idea.  Big advantage is it won't take up too much space, as you can take the lid off.  The Lenor bottles have alwasy put me off because they're so bulky.  As a coach traveller, I could fit in half a bag of wine for that much space!

5 hours ago, Keithy said:

Ha! Exactly my stance - that's drinking space being taken up! 

Fill the Lenor bottle with wine. ;)

+1 for the lock-ups & taking a pic of your home address on your camera/phone incase lost.

5 hours ago, muddychick said:

A couple of years on and the same thing is still happening. :)

For the record I've never managed to cover my wristband in crap, but having to think about what to do with the tails is something I could do without so left wrist it is. And yes, I do have skinny wrists. :)

7 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Superb Cheese and Tomato toasties Nigel. If you walk past the entrances to kids field and accoustic/cinema on your left with the meeting place on your right it's up that stretch just past accoustic if I remember correctly. There's also a great local bakery along the same stretch that does freshly baked bread for those home made bacon sandwiches too!:)

Nice, thats brekkie sorted gonna have to try a growler where are they found?