Camping / Festival Hacks!!

Jne___

28 minutes ago, Kneale said:

Now we've discussed how everyone goes for a wee in their tent, how do people pee when they're right in the middle/front of a crowd, say at Pyramid stage? I was thinking of taking Traveljohns, I've used these before but only in my tent at IoW last year.

I'd rather people went to the toilets, but in the absence of such a thing, travel johns or bottles, as long as you're happy carrying it around in your rucksack afterwards!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Tie a bin bag near the entrance on your tent for any rubbish and putting hand sanitiser on wet wipes can be useful for washing.

We do this and it makes us feel much better come the weekend when camp is still nice and tidy. Easy just to throw the bag away on the monday. Makes me sick the litter i see around walking around site. All completely unnecessary.

If people come up to you asking to cover you in glitter and paint let them, not only will it make them happy but you'll also look great.

Take glow stick bracelets to handout to strangers, it's a cheap but nice gift.

Plus I second the bucket it's like a sink and a shower all in one.

9 hours ago, The Nal said:

Whats wrong with the bogroll on site?

Bring as little as possible to the festival. You can get everything you need there. Aside from a good tent and walking boots.

Some people walking in look like they're going for a month long hike up the Himalayas.

must admit we use the free loo rolls all the time, have a roll for tent and then just top up every time go to the lockups

9 hours ago, Donkeyradish said:

My cannot camp/festival without is one of those horrible cheap blankets with the plastic on the bottom which roll up - £1 from poundland most years. Ace for throwing in a bag so you can sit wherever whenever, no wet butt. Also great for campsite, and in tent for putting bare feet on after a day in wellies.

we have few of these as nice and compact for your bag but does the job, total bargain

1 hour ago, _Catman_ said:

If people come up to you asking to cover you in glitter and paint let them, not only will it make them happy but you'll also look great.

Take glow stick bracelets to handout to strangers, it's a cheap but nice gift.

Plus I second the bucket it's like a sink and a shower all in one.

Whilst I completely agree with this, in 2014 watching the Black Keys I got talking to a bunch of 4 women celebrating their collective 60th birthdays that year. One took out a little pot and painted some purple in the front of my hair. 

On the Monday when I got home I had to use white spirit to get the paint off.

9 hours ago, The Nal said:

Its better than this one certainly.

Festival-Toilet.jpg

Greatest photograph ever!

Another vote for comfort bottles here but the big 2 litre one with the handle. 

A roll of (good quality) duct tape always gets packed with my gear. Great for making running repairs to your tent if somebody should fall into it or it springs a leak.

Beer/Cider tinnies go under your groundsheet. It keeps them surprisingly cool.

A little bottle of hand sanitiser for your day sack.

27 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

A little bottle of hand sanitiser for your day sack.

Aye, that can be great if you've had a pee, there's a queue for taps and you just want to freshen your hands.  They're small and light too.

Another vote for the packs of tissues as loo paper alternative that you can keep in a small bag or pocket.

Either a poncho or binbag for emergency weather gear.  It's not a place to find out the limitations of your weatherproofing in a shower.

Look after yourselves and each other :)

15 hours ago, musky said:

Page 4 and nobody's mentioned getting your wristband put on the hand you don't wipe with. :o

Mine has been and always will be put on my right hand. Yes I also use that hand to wipe.

I've never ever had such a lack of control of said situation where by I've covered my wristband in excrement.

What on earth do you people who apparently can't trust themselves to wipe in an orderly manor do?!

Just now, JoeyT said:

Mine has been and always will be put on my right hand. Yes I also use that hand to wipe.

I've never ever had such a lack of control of said situation where by I've covered my wristband in excrement.

What on earth do you people who apparently can't trust themselves to wipe in an orderly manor do?!

I'm with you.  It sounds like a good idea, but in practise makes absolutely no difference.  I suppose one of those poo mountains in the portaloos could cause a problem, but I've worn my band on my dominant (right) hand many times and never covered it in shit.

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Did everyone just read your post in a different tone of voice to me? I assumed you were trying to find out what level to pitch the tips at rather than being condescending.

:lol: Exactly that. But oh well, I know now not to ask if someones been to Glastonbury before haha. 

1 hour ago, Respectfatfrog said:

leave a set of comfy clothes in the car and trainers etc then get changed before you drive home makes you feel loads better

Forgot about this one. Definitely this, especially if it's wet.

Oh and get some decent quality large bin liners and line your rucksack before you pack. That way if it rains (which it's not going to do obviously) on the walk to the campsite all your gear is still dry when you get there.

17 hours ago, evilduck said:

Don't however put it at the bottom of your sleeping bag if you sleep with your feet by the door. I've heard of sneaky thief gits opening the tent and then just cutting open the bottom of your sleeping bag. Lockups are your best bet, or I like the sock idea from before!

Although I take my wallet to Glastonbury, I generally just leave it in the lockups containing just my cards.  All my cash I keep directly in my pockets.  At night, I sleep with my trousers on, and my cash in my pockets.

The thieves can have the random shrapnel strewn across my tent.

16 hours ago, MissStarlight said:

My top tip for Glasto: bring a welly jack!

I did this last year - life changing.

No more struggling to get your wellies off at night. 

I know what you'll say - it's easy to get your wellies off without one. I say rubbish! The first welly is fine, because you can use your other welly-clad foot to get it off....but what then? Now you have a mud soaked welly on one foot, and a bare, socked foot which you ideally don't want to smear in mud in an attempt to get the second welly off.

This is where the welly jack SHINES. It'll get that bad boy off in no time. No more muddy socks.

Mine cost me £6 and I fucking love it.

welly.jpeg

16 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

As an alternative to the above, particularly if wearing walking boots, bring a pair of marigolds and leave them by your tent to avoid muddy hands.

Another option.  Don't be so bloody soft ;)

16 hours ago, shuttlep said:

my friend who is  a lady, swears by her Pissy Tub. ordinary Tupperware tub, just pop in you bag and empty at the first loos you pass. 

That's a good idea.  Big advantage is it won't take up too much space, as you can take the lid off.  The Lenor bottles have alwasy put me off because they're so bulky.  As a coach traveller, I could fit in half a bag of wine for that much space!

19 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

He said that as long as you have dry feet at some point in the day then all is good.

Your right looking after your feet at Glasto is important! Ive learned the hard way not being able to walk by the end of my 1st fest 

If it's a wet one I put on a pair of waterproof socks over my normal ones. It keeps the feet dry and helps stop blisters. A good walking boot, and the right supportive insoles for your feet.  I also talc socks everyday to make it dry & more comfortable. 

21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's a good idea.  Big advantage is it won't take up too much space, as you can take the lid off.  The Lenor bottles have alwasy put me off because they're so bulky.  As a coach traveller, I could fit in half a bag of wine for that much space!

Ha! Exactly my stance - that's drinking space being taken up! 

Hello! This is my first ever post, but because I have been lurking for a bit I thought it only fair to start with a tip :) 

Last year was my first Glastonbury, and as a newbie my friend bought me a 'festival survival pack'. A lot of it wasn't actually that useful, but one of the best finds was Nilaqua Towel Off Shampoo. It is amazing!! I usually wash my hair everyday and so really struggled with not having easy access to showers during the festival - and there was so much else to do that a shower wasn't my top priority. I tried this on the Friday and felt super refreshed. Smells like apple and makes your hair really soft and grease-free. Waaaay better than dry shampoo and doesn't require any water for rinsing :wub: