Shuttle Bus to Buy Alcohol

ScottTelford

My friend and I are travelling down on the SEE Ticket provided coaches and are therefore unable to carry a large amount of alcohol with us. At the minute on the Wednesday afternoon we are planning on getting the shuttle bus into town (not sure which town) where we will buy our alcohol at the nearest supermarket. We do have a few questions I was hoping someone with a bit of experience of this might be able to help with:

• How long does the shuttle bus take/Where does it drop off?
  • Are the shops likely to have alcohol in stock?
  • How often do the buses run?

Thanks

Just now, ScottTelford said:

Thanks.

Anyone who has used this before, are we better off going to Glastonbury town or Shepton Mallet?

You're better taking spirits/ as much booze as you're willing to carry with you and buying extra at the bars, once you're there you won't want to leave the site 

Just now, ScottTelford said:

Thanks.

Anyone who has used this before, are we better off going to Glastonbury town or Shepton Mallet?

I've not done it, and really don't suggest you do, but if you really must go off site Shepton as the bus stop is right at Tescos.

16 minutes ago, ScottTelford said:

My friend and I are travelling down on the SEE Ticket provided coaches and are therefore unable to carry a large amount of alcohol with us. At the minute on the Wednesday afternoon we are planning on getting the shuttle bus into town (not sure which town) where we will buy our alcohol at the nearest supermarket. We do have a few questions I was hoping someone with a bit of experience of this might be able to help with:

• How long does the shuttle bus take/Where does it drop off?
  • Are the shops likely to have alcohol in stock?
  • How often do the buses run?

Thanks

I visited the town in 2014 by the shuttle bus, the wait wasn't too bad and we had enough time in town to grab what we needed from the shop. It didn't take too much of our time either. 

1 minute ago, ScottTelford said:

Cheers for the responses.

Yeah I appreciate it isn't ideal having to leave the site but we don't really have an alternative for getting enough alcohol to last the weekend with us going on the coaches.

less cans - more spirits. easy. or just invest in a trolley of some kind to load your crates on to. i did it last year on a National Express coach and they had no problem with it as long as i dismantled the trolley before it went on

10 minutes ago, ScottTelford said:

Cheers for the responses.

Yeah I appreciate it isn't ideal having to leave the site but we don't really have an alternative for getting enough alcohol to last the weekend with us going on the coaches.

It really isn't that bad, if you do it the day you get there, get it over and done with. It doesn't take hours and hours. 

Shuttle buses go from the coach park beyond Gate A, which you get to from the dance area/John Peel stage (exact route might be slightly different due to the John Peel stage moving a bit this year) Aside from the busy times on Wednesday morning and to an extent Thursday morning when new arrivals use the buses to get on site they are normally pretty easy to use. Last year it was £4 each way to and from the site (so £8 return) and normally leave every hour, and return every hour so if you play it right you only lose a couple of hours off site.

If you really feel you need to stock up on large amounts of beer the Shepton Mallet service is probably best as it has a large Tesco with plenty of offers close to where the bus drops off and picks up. Glastonbury has a Coop in the high street which is 2 minutes from the Town Hall drop off, or there is also a Tesco and Morrisons about 10 minutes walk but perfectly possible to get there and back in an hour or so especially if you ask the driver to look out for your return.

If you are going to use them I'd say early afternoon on Wednesday or Thursday is probably the quietest, and while you will always miss stuff by going off site it means you can get stocked up before the weekend attractions and music starts

Last year we got the shuttle into Shepton Mallet for this purpose on Wednesday afternoon. We waited a while to get on a bus at Gate A, but only because we didn't think to check the timetable and got there just after one had left.

As someone has said it drops you off right at Tesco - they were very well stocked - I'd say they know pretty well how much stock they would need for that weekend. We had the choice of going leisurely and waiting an hour for the next shuttle to pick us up or rush around for 10 minutes to get the same shuttle bus back. We opted to rush and it worked out fine.

If you know the timetable and if you know what you want so you can shop quickly, you shouldn't be off site for more than 90 minutes.

Before you go leaving the holy ground have a look into bags of cider, I was on see coaches last year and just filled a bog standard backpack with 5 bags of cider at 5L a bag and that lasted me the entire festival 

Take them and some decanted sprits and your golden, leave the heavy warm tinnies at home 

10 hours ago, DeanoL said:

There's a few places, though I appreciate those that get through 20 pints a day probably don't want to spend £500 on booze at the bars.

I'm happy to be a lightweight!

I understand that point of view. As I said above (or on another thread) I'm happy taking 4 or 5 bottles of Disaranno and maybe a crate of cider for each morning at the tent.  I've been that excited about going to Glastonbury since October that as soon as I set foot in it, I will not be leaving again untill the Monday :P

Edited by Kneale