My breakfast recipe and snack ideas. Anyone else got some?

Mich1268

Last year and the year before, I loved the food but was annoyed that I did not have anything to hand at breakfast and had to walk a long way to find what I wanted. So this year I decided to perfect an easy to heat up filling breakfast recipe that would last me up to three days. I also wanted to find snack to eat when back at tent at night that was quick and no totally disgusting. So here is my recipe for breakfast.

Michelle's slightly odd all day breakfast stew:

ingredients:

260g-300g chestnut or portabella mushrooms, basically just not the white ones.

2 tins of chopped tomatoes.

4 fresh chopped tomatoes (can also use sundried).

200g smocked bacon, or bacon lardons or pancetta cubes if really posh.

A pack of sausages or chipolatas

3 dessertspoons of mixed herbs.

A handful of dried mushrooms.

1 onion

probably about 200-300 mls. of stock. Any apart from fish. (stick 200 in first than add if it feels too tomatoey)

Worcester sauce

2 dessertspoons of whole grain mustard.

A tin of beans, either cannellini, kidney, etc. I use mixed beans but make sure you pour water over them to get rid of the claggy stuff in the tin. You can use baked beans if you want but there is already a lot of tomato in this stew.

salt and pepper to taste.

half a teaspoon of dried chili if you fancy.

large chunk of bread or roll to dip.

Slow cooker needed but if you haven't got one, you could stick in a casserole dish and put in oven on very low heat, say 50? but I have never done this.

Method:

Boil the 200 mls. of water to be used for the stock and stick the dried mushrooms in to soak. Leave for 20 minutes at least.

meanwhile:

Cook sausages on medium to high heat until brown, about 5 minutes. Bung in slow cooker.

Do the same with the onions until brown about 3 minutes. Bung in slow cooker

And the same with the fresh mushrooms about 5 minutes. In the cooker.

And the same with the bacon about 30 seconds and then in.

sprinkle with herbs, lots of pepper and not too much salt as the bacon may be salty. You can always add more later after tasting.

Stick in the tomatoes which you have chopped and the tinned tomatoes.

Take out the dried mushrooms and squeeze the juice out in the stock water. Chop them up and bung them in.

Add four or five sprinkling of Worcester sauce and the mustard. 

Put in the mushroom water with one stock cube and put the cooker on. Cook for at least 5 hours.

1 hour before finishing add the tinned beans.

whilst it is cooking, taste maybe after 2/3 hours to see if it needs another half or 1 stock cube and more salt. keep tasting until end.

Chop sausages up into bite sized pieces so you don't need to use a knife and fork and freeze when cooled.

I had some today I made yesterday. Was well chuffed.

My other recommendation is Marks and Spencer's ramen noodle pot (dried noodles) my kids like this one the best but I have to take soy sauce to go with it. Anyone else have ideas?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Food on site is way to good for me to bother with bringing food. Yeo Valley £1 pot, some fruit/smoothie, coffee and a crepe or something is the way forward. 

I love walking around the site in the morning if I'm up early. Reminds me of some sort of medieval city. Everyone working away to get the day going. Everyone apart from me obviously. I'm just concentrating on eating and shitting at that time of the day.

2 minutes ago, Jne___ said:

sounds delish! i like to try and eat well over the weekend to ease my conscience from other debauchery! dates are a good shout, get nice and squidgy when its warm and have so much energy! 

Didn't put dates in, but now you mention it, might have to do a take 3 test with them this weekend! think of the dancing energy we would have!

thats really not bad idea that recipe! like the sound of it i must say as all you need to do it heat and eat, got too messy grilling bacon at the tent last year and the on site bacon you can buy is ridiculously expensive when your own you brought inevitably runs out.

we camp in bushy and i hate how far you have to walk just to get a tea and something to eat and i hate the queues for bog standard bacon / sausage you would never otherwise stoop so low as to eat.

Only thing is its one more thing to carry and as we travel from quite far away i'd be defrosted almost by the time we even got to site :(

my favourite campsite snacks are peanuts and granny smith apples.

if you could be bothered to make and bring your own flapjacks i bet they'd be awesome.

Edited by Memory Man

somebody on here suggested these little individually wrapped chocolate/toffee filled crepes from Asda a couple of years ago and they've been a staple of my mornings at Glastonbury since. likewise with pop tarts. and nuts. that does me for the excruciating hangover in the morning, washed down with a few beers until the hair of the dog is working enough for me to venture elsewhere for some proper food from one of the stalls

reading about that stew has made me absolutely starving and i haven't got anything nearly as nice as that to eat. damn

45 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

somebody on here suggested these little individually wrapped chocolate/toffee filled crepes from Asda a couple of years ago and they've been a staple of my mornings at Glastonbury since. likewise with pop tarts. and nuts. that does me for the excruciating hangover in the morning, washed down with a few beers until the hair of the dog is working enough for me to venture elsewhere for some proper food from one of the stalls

reading about that stew has made me absolutely starving and i haven't got anything nearly as nice as that to eat. damn

make it and be in morning heaven for 3 days

Last year I made a bunch of Anzac biscuits - they're delicious, easy to make, and I reckon the oats in there count for something (slow release..?)

Ingredients:

100g butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
120g plain flour
80g porridge oats
100g caster sugar
80g unsweetened desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pretty much mix it all together and bake - chewy in the middle and all crispy on the outside. Highly recommended!

1 minute ago, MissStarlight said:

Last year I made a bunch of Anzac biscuits - they're delicious, easy to make, and I reckon the oats in there count for something (slow release..?)

Ingredients:

100g butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
120g plain flour
80g porridge oats
100g caster sugar
80g unsweetened desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pretty much mix it all together and bake - chewy in the middle and all crispy on the outside. Highly recommended!

right, I am on that. Anzac biscuit? done