Anyone on the Recycling Crew got their shifts yet?

Nuthugger

I've got mine but as a veteran I was allowed to choose the before festival ones and that's a name in the hat job due to popularity so have been successful. I think they allocate these ones 1st in case anyone can't do it so they can be reallocated before they do the other shifts. Fiona did say that shift details would come in May so maybe all of them will come then?

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, joeltg said:

Going through a charity too, so I can assume it will be Friday to Monday mornings also? I'm rubbish at waking up early mornings so think its best I push on through and sleep a while after the shift.

Have you done litterpicking before Joel? Its hard going to push on through - I really wouldnt recommend it, especially if it is hot.

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

Have you done litterpicking before Joel? Its hard going to push on through - I really wouldnt recommend it, especially if it is hot.

First time, and have been thinking long and hard about how to go about it. I really hate missing the nightlife at Glastonbury.

OK - you may be incredibly young and fit and able to keep going and the rest of the crew will carry you a bit if you're on the Pyramid Field but even if you aren't working hard you still need to physically look like you're working for 5 hours and that is knackering too. Everyone else knows if you aren't pulling your weight as well as will the team leader.

I would pull an allnighter on the first day if you're absolutely set on it and see how you go - the first shift is the easiest as there's less to pick up. On Sunday night it would be a disaster as the shift on Monday morning is so full on and if you don't work them all you wont get your money back and you'll let the charity down so they might have less places next year.

It is a different experience but one I much prefer as there are so many plus points.

Thanks for the advice Kate, must appreciated. 

I think your definitely right with regards to the Sunday night, so will most likely do the first night and see how things go.

Physically I have pretty good stamina, as I don't usually sleep more than a few hours at Glastonbury, but the last thing I would want to do is slack and make the team suffer cause of it. I have every intention of completing all shifts, and work hard as well. 

Is it just five hours, been told it was 6?

You only do close to 6 normally on the last 2 days but it depends on the rest of the site, just because the Pyramid is done early it doesnt mean that that field can go, often youll have a wander round the markets, silver hayes or the other if they are getting hammered as theres so many people on the Pyramid that its quicker. 

It is slower in bad weather as well. 

My middle aged top tip is to get up 5 mins earlier and take a flask of tea with you on shift(free from the marquee) it makes such a difference at that first breaktime.

I've done the 6am starts 3 out of the 4 times I've littered picked- primarily so didn't miss bands in the afternoon.  Never went through the night- probably due to being an old git (that said after 2 kids including a son that didn't sleep through for ages you'd think I'd be used to operating on no sleep). Some people I know have done it though. Further to the other tips- if you want breakfast the queues can be massive so factor that into your getting up time and as well as a flask of tea take some cereal bars with you.  Lastly if you do oversleep and miss your shift speak to the people in charge and you may (and I say may) be able to do an afternoon shift in the recycling centre and so not lose your deposit.

Edited by dondo

Not working this year, first one since 2011, due to birth of my first son, friends who have worked past 4 years have missed out on their usual 6-12 litter pick shift?? Have no idea why?? Seems that newcomers have taken the better shift?? They have emailed Fiona to ask why tuis has happened, has everybody got the shifts they asked for??