Mobile Phones

shuttlep

when i was growing up Mobile Phones were things of fantasy.  WIFI was something in start trek.

when i went to my first Glastonbury 2004 we had basic mobile phones, no camera or internet. Over the five days you were very lucky if you got signal. It was nice it was a total escape from the outside world. you could make up rumors about a celeb dying and seeing how far it went.  They were simpler times.  all the photos I have of my first few Glastonbury's were on disposable cameras.  There was no Face book . That picture of you passed out in a ditch was never circulated around Facebook before you even woke up. 

I miss those days

19 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

when i was growing up Mobile Phones were things of fantasy.  WIFI was something in start trek.

when i went to my first Glastonbury 2004 we had basic mobile phones, no camera or internet. Over the five days you were very lucky if you got signal. It was nice it was a total escape from the outside world. you could make up rumors about a celeb dying and seeing how far it went.  They were simpler times.  all the photos I have of my first few Glastonbury's were on disposable cameras.  There was no Face book . That picture of you passed out in a ditch was never circulated around Facebook before you even woke up. 

I miss those days

*Looks out over housing estate*

"I remember when this was all fields"

P.S. 500th post!

26 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I miss those days

I don't. Still bring the Nokia(s) every year. Battery lasts 2 1/2 days a piece. Never have to worry about recharging, dropping it etc. They're the cockroaches of phones. 

Absolutely no need whatsoever for a smartphone at Glastonbury.

6 minutes ago, big__phil said:

*Looks out over housing estate*

"I remember when this was all fields"

Depends where you're from. Some housing estates are all fields again.

Edited by The Nal

It's funny because every generation is appalled by the technology of the future. Particularly when it comes to communication

When the telephone was invented people were horrified because it was vulgarly replacing the art of letter writing

Radios were considered to spell the certain doom of books and reading.

And in Plato's time letter writing was seen as disruptive and undesirable technology that would replace the proper from of communication: conversation and debate.

What I'm trying to say is, get with the times you decrepit old fart.

Edited by russycarps

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

It's funny because every generation is appalled by the technology of the future. Particularly when it comes to communication

When the telephone was invented people were horrified because it was vulgarly replacing the art of letter writing

And in Plato's time letter writing was seen as disruptive and undesirable technology that would replace the proper from of communication: conversation and debate.

I'm losing the ability to get with the times at the same rate I am losing my hair.

there maybe a correlation

always a queue of people in these threads saying how smartphones are a plague on Glastonbury. I don't think so really. I remember going without one (it was great) and I remember going with one (also great).

it's not like people sit there with their backs turned to the chemical brothers because they're poking someone on facebook. smartphones are just handy at festivals for those who want them. they have torches, they have whatsapp (handy to see if someone has received your message- always used to stand there for ages waiting for people in days gone by and they've never even received my sms), they have twitter which can fill you in on secret gigs, you can take high quality photos and videos if you're that way inclined (I got engaged at glasto and the photos and videos of it are tremendous), so yeah- whatever floats your boat.

I don't take pictures generally as I am happy with my memories so am happy to leave the smartphone at home. I only need to call the missus and check on the kids.

I have however started Instagram-ing more regularly and quite like it so might consider taking mine along this year #socialmediawhore

I bring an older smartphone that i no longer use. I'm not on it all the time, and the only reason I bring it is because of Glasto, i.e. keeping up with an 'secret' news, taking photos occasionally, communicating with others that are there etc. I don't bother with anything else mind. Although it does sometime backfire, like in 2014 it seemed Prince was rumoured for every TBA slot.

20 minutes ago, russycarps said:

And we ended up with people thinking platonic relationships were a good thing. 

54 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I miss those days

In some ways I miss those days. I used to love the bizarre rumours about news from the outside world, which only spread because everyone was completely cut-off - Cliff Richard being dead was always a popular one. MJ dying in 2009 was the last experience I had like that, where most people thought it was just another stupid rumour at first. I remember just about managing to check the story using WAP on my Nokia phone, which kind of spoiled it a bit.

In other ways I don't miss those days at all. For one thing, it was a right pain in the arse to meet up with anyone, which led to a lot of time being wasted.

Also, taking a smartphone is worth it for just this one app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.mdiener.rain.usa&hl=en_GB

Edited by Cheesey

The only thing that gets me is the snapchat. This year 1 of my best friends is going for the 1st time, and he is just that my best friend.

Until he gets that phone in his hand whether its having a drink and acting an eejit or on some sort of shit talking jaw crunching high he is guaranteed to have it on his snapchat.

Phones are handy, really handy...... but what ever happened to whatever goes on tour stays on tour!

Edited by gerardfenton18
forgot a comma

I don't care what you do with your smartphone, you can shove it up your arse and use it as a vibrator, but STOP FILMING GIGS. YOU WILL NEVER WATCH IT AGAIN. Even if you do watch it it will sound and look like shite and you will hear yourself (and others around you) talking and whooping and you will enter into a deep state of self-loathing.

I dislike the people that film the concert / songs on their phones. It never sounds good when you play it back and you spend your time looking at the screen to make sure it's actually looking them. Might as well buy the live DVD.

I'm a fan of smart phones though, as it means I don't have to take a seperate camera with me, this new smart phones take bloody good photos. 

Just now, Jakkkkobz said:

I just use my smart phone to get there and back for my work emails, then stick it in a locker and go dark on my shite phone till Monday. Its the only holiday I can go on and have an excuse not to reply to my emails and answer calls.

I will turn off my data roaming etc when I get to the site. But I like to take the odd photos to place in the photo album.

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

I miss those days

I'm with you shuttlep.  I have a mobile phone that stays permanently switched off in my car and is there just in case of an emergency or to ring the RAC.

Don't see what is wrong with taking a little video at a gig. Phones nowadays have good audio and video quality so it doesn't sound like shit and you don't have to watch it through the screen if you're just holding it up. Can be annoying for people behind but im sure 30 seconds isn't too bad

5 minutes ago, Tr234 said:

Don't see what is wrong with taking a little video at a gig. Phones nowadays have good audio and video quality so it doesn't sound like shit and you don't have to watch it through the screen if you're just holding it up. Can be annoying for people behind but im sure 30 seconds isn't too bad

I'm eternally grateful for a some of the stuff people put on youtube, but I always assumed the good clips on there arent filmed by people's phones. Are they that good now? I cant remember the last time I used the video function on my phone