Efest member stats

morph100

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been on here since 1998 and have certainly seen many fallouts, disagreements and cliques come and go. And yet it remains for me the only regular place on line that I still ever visit. If I were to change anything it might be the dominance of  band discussions in chat that for most of the year tend to dominate the topics list until the festival approaches or has just finished. I appreciate the music is an important part of the festival but it can quickly push out other threads about the other aspects of the festival which I personally prefer to read about and be reminded about. Difficult to strike a balance though as by winter, many might have felt that they have discussed the previous festival to death or can't think of anything new to contribute.

3 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Is that right, Lucy? Did we meet at NFR, then? I could have sworn it was the Wednesday meet. Then again, it was my first time and I was a little, ahem, overwhelmed...

:)

Ben

That is indeed correct! I'm usually too twatted to make the main meet! Going to really try hard not to be (or to come along anyway) this year! You may have to come and collect me! 

This is the friendliest forum I frequent - a lot more fun than the sport / Band specific ones I visit.   Like a comfy chair - actually like a comfy chair in the snug of the local by the fire.

I recently joined in the NFR thread and the get fit thread and have found them far from cliquey.

PS @Sawdusty Surfer do post more and hows your hand?

PPS I will make the efests meet this year (hopefully)

Edited by cornish hick

I've been busy on festival forums for a decade. There is significantly less niggle on here compared to elsewhere, remarkable when you consider how many more users there are, given the size and popularity of GF. A tribute to the spirit of the festival permeating to its online voice.

A few years ago, mild-mannered, middle-class Latitude's forum was frickin' toxic...!

:o

Ben

25 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

If I were to change anything it might be the dominance of  band discussions in chat that for most of the year tend to dominate the topics list until the festival approaches or has just finished. I appreciate the music is an important part of the festival but it can quickly push out other threads about the other aspects of the festival which I personally prefer to read about and be reminded about

Yeh this was why I originally suggested earlier in this thread to have a separate 'Artists' sub-category as it just feels more natural to separate that topic away from more general chat.

Edited by WallaceHigh

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Are you married to Princess Anne?

Sadly Mrs GH doesn't have her money or stately pile.  Also my mother-in-law has two years on Queenie and will be 93 in May.  She remains resolutely independent and determined to keep going in her own home for as long as possible. Her mobility is getting limited so we had a stairlift installed at her house today - which her great nieces will love playing on.

51 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Been on here since 1998 and have certainly seen many fallouts, disagreements and cliques come and go. And yet it remains for me the only regular place on line that I still ever visit. If I were to change anything it might be the dominance of  band discussions in chat that for most of the year tend to dominate the topics list until the festival approaches or has just finished. I appreciate the music is an important part of the festival but it can quickly push out other threads about the other aspects of the festival which I personally prefer to read about and be reminded about. Difficult to strike a balance though as by winter, many might have felt that they have discussed the previous festival to death or can't think of anything new to contribute.

We do tend to have rather a lot of "What are the chances of xxx playing this year?" - as if anyone knows.  But I do enjoy band recommendations, not just for Glastonbury but for other festivals and gigs.  With a festival as big and broad as Glastonbury lesser known bands might otherwise disappear beneath my radar.

What I'm less keen on are the "xxx are rubbish" comments, when often the poster is simply saying that xxx are not to their taste.

At festivals I tend to see a lot of bands on places like the Bandstands that are great fun and entertaining, even though they probably wouldn't be able to sustain a full gig on their own.

I have joined in more this year than previously, and this forum does attract a good level of information and discussion.  Other forums I have been on in the past tend to either dry up or degenerate into a slanging match.

As grumpyhack said there are a number of limited value threads at times, but they soon drop down the list if not responded to.

Personally I would not change much at all, as there is a good mix or random, informative and funny posts.  Every newbie should search for the "Twix" thread.

Hopefully I will get to meet some of you this year at the meet.

I am such a bloody lurker here. I'm actually quite addicted to the forum and love reading through the threads talking about people's experiences at the festival, must-dos, best bars and all that.

I don't really know why i don't contribute more. Like a previous poster said, I often start writing something then think "no that's boring" and delete it. Stupid really, considering everyone here is so nice and friendly!

Someone else mentioned about buying Gold membership. I actually didn't even know that was a thing. When I see GOLD member on someone's profile, I assume it's because they are a long time member, or have reached a minimum number of posts, so it's completely new to me that you can become a fully paid up member here.

41 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

how about adding a 6 month premium membership rather then a year 18 quid is a lot for some but a tenner might make it easier to support the group

efests is for life, not just for xmas. :P

In all seriousness, it just can't work like that. Because of the nature of this website the traffic seasonal, and because 6 months ad-free would be sold predominantly for the busy 6 months (people read many more pages in the busy months, and therefore would earn extra ad-revenue for the site), it would probably have to be priced at £14 for that six months for everything to even out against the £18 for a year.

That is a fair explanation, shame as I liked that idea.

I find this place to be very welcoming of newcomers, on the whole.  Long may it stay that way, as each year the new and interesting characters enrich the place.

Edited by Spindles

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yep.

I think one of the things which keeps here successful is the natural turnover/churn of people around festivals, with new people replacing the the old - with new questions, new ideas, and new excitement.

I think that's what makes thing place so different to other forums, everyone here is delighted to see a first timer pop up and no one ever gets bored of answering the same old questions

every time I see a "first timer questions" thread I expect it to be met by a barrage of "just use the search function" responses but they never come all you get is everyone jumping on board and offering tips and advise

54 minutes ago, MissStarlight said:

Someone else mentioned about buying Gold membership. I actually didn't even know that was a thing. When I see GOLD member on someone's profile, I assume it's because they are a long time member, or have reached a minimum number of posts, so it's completely new to me that you can become a fully paid up member here.

Despite things being financially tough, in all seriousness, don't feel obliged to buy it.

It's offered as an ad-free alternative, because some people didn't want to have the ads but wanted to make sure the contributed rather than used an ad-blocker and efestivals then lost income.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Despite things being financially tough, in all seriousness, don't feel obliged to buy it.

It's offered as an ad-free alternative, because some people didn't want to have the ads but wanted to make sure the contributed rather than used an ad-blocker and efestivals then lost income.

I can live with the ads, annoying though they are (whilst understanding their importance to eFests, financially).

I went Gold because this site gives me a lot of happiness, friendship, information and laughs. I come here pretty much everyday, often many times. 4.9p per day for this seems like pretty good value to me, especially when factoring in that it helps ensure the long-term future of the site...

:)

Ben

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

efests is for life, not just for xmas. :P

In all seriousness, it just can't work like that. Because of the nature of this website the traffic seasonal, and because 6 months ad-free would be sold predominantly for the busy 6 months (people read many more pages in the busy months, and therefore would earn extra ad-revenue for the site), it would probably have to be priced at £14 for that six months for everything to even out against the £18 for a year.

If you did monthly or 3-monthly it could be done as a recurring payment and you might find a lot people don't bother to cancel.

22 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm very tempted. As I said, I didn't really know what it was, and despite the low volume of posts I'm a regular reader and have had some brilliant tips on here (including the whole hook for your bag at the long drops idea!)

7 days til payday!

19 minutes ago, MissStarlight said:

I'm very tempted. As I said, I didn't really know what it was, and despite the low volume of posts I'm a regular reader and have had some brilliant tips on here (including the whole hook for your bag at the long drops idea!)

7 days til payday!

Just put the door latch/hook through the handle of your bag and then close the door,no need for a hook

Edited by Thearg

9 minutes ago, Thearg said:

Just put the door latch/hook through the handle of your bag and then close the door,no need for a hook

Works with a back pack but not with my long strap handbag, it'd still be sitting in a layer of questionable liquid on the floor! 

1 minute ago, MissStarlight said:

Works with a back pack but not with my long strap handbag, it'd still be sitting in a layer of questionable liquid on the floor! 

Fair enough that must be a big bag,I use the freebie bag for all my stuff over the course of the festival