U.S. festival with the supposed killer lineup?

O'Doyle Rules

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

To be clear Nal, I'm a big fan of all of their music it just makes me sad that lots of fans are priced out of live music, particullally when it comes to acts of this size. Getting them all on the same bill is a amazing.....the cynic in me however, suspects that it will come with an amazingly sized price tag that many folks just won't be able to afford.

I'm 99% sure the reason why The Stones were so good at Glasto is because they were playing to and feeding off an electric crowd who were thrilled to be seeing them.....rather than rows of people with fat wallets (not that well off people can't be music fans of course). It would be nice If these legendary acts weren't so expensive to see. As has been proved a few times this year there will only be finate chances left to see them.

FYI "Clinging to their top spot" was more a meditation on the industry then the bands themselves. Probably unfairly worded :)

Fair enough yeah agree with all that. Especially the pricing fans out of live music thing. I've huge issues with it. Certainly a cynic to coin ratio that clicks in my head when I look at the price of a gig. Have skipped a few as a result. And will continue to. Only protest we have really is to just not go.

On 21/04/2016 at 11:38 AM, russycarps said:

but..but..but hey jude is overplayed!

his voice is shot!

he did 3 or 4 wings songs!

his between songs chat is cheesey!

One of the best ever sets. No doubt about it. Only bad thing about it was catching a bit of those fuckwits in the slot before him.

Black Eyed Peas were the best bit about that evening :P

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My man

MTE1ODA0OTcxNjY4NTA2MTI1.jpg

sticking out like a sore thumb.

hehe, I saw a poster for him playing here the other day on the way to work and nearly fell off my bike in surprise. Had no idea he was still alive/touring.

• 2 weeks later...

This Coachella 'brand' makes me want to throw up. 

Bands can't make a festival good. It's the people who go that do. The spirit of the festival.

Coachella 'festivals' seem to be a mere glamour exposé of wealth and opulence, not a festival for the common man.

2 hours ago, willutalk said:

This Coachella 'brand' makes me want to throw up. 

Bands can't make a festival good. It's the people who go that do. The spirit of the festival.

Coachella 'festivals' seem to be a mere glamour exposé of wealth and opulence, not a festival for the common man.

the normal Coachella is not something i'm keen to experience ever, and with this lineup i wouldn't be going for any 'spirit of festival', it would be purely strictly about these 6 acts in one place over 3 days. potentially the last ever Who gig...who knows if the Stones will have anything on the horizon after this too, the end of a 3.5 year 50th anniversary run, and while it's not as if l haven't seen all 6 before (and all but The Who and Dylan at Glastonbury) to have them all at one weekend would be worth the less-than-stellar atmosphere.. stumbling block/turnoff would be the ticket price, which is the curious missing question here, the cheapest general ticket that is, not the "vip super-experience" thingie. if it's way beyond a normal'ish festival price then i won't consider it, and i'd probably turn on the whole thing and be ripping it to shreds on here.

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

How much are you expecting for the three day basic ticket Teva?

seems like it's $399 for the regular Coachella basics. Stuart's 50% markup to $599 seems like something they might go with (unfortunately) which is more than i want to pay to go to something like this, although i was (unrealistically) hoping they'd keep it the same as the full-weekend price with 40+ bands, hoping the sponsorship covered the ticket cost, but i'm just being hopeful. For most on here considering it, the US dollar has been strong vs Sterling this year, and who knows what it will be like when tickets go on sale if it's before or after EU referendum and what the result of that will be too.

https://www.coachella.com/festival-passes/

it's a shame it's just the 2 acts each night as well, would have been perfect opportunity to create more of a 'day' with 2 reputable support acts as well, contemporary reputable acts that might be respected by the big 6 here (you know, Bring Me The Horizon-like...)

Edited by tevaburger

5 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Has Waters toured without The Wall in recent years?

No. Well "recent", he toured greatest hits/Dark Side 7-8 years ago and then around 2002 when he played Glasto. He has a new album and tour due this year. Won't be The Wall.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

No. Well "recent", he toured greatest hits/Dark Side 7-8 years ago and then around 2002 when he played Glasto. He has a new album and tour due this year. Won't be The Wall.

i saw him last summer do Newport Folk Festival without the gimmicks and with My Morning Jacket forming the bulk of his band. Amazing set for just 60 minutes, there was a poll or two in the US that rated it as the best US festival set of 2015.

ON MAY 03, 2016, 3:17PM

Desert Trip

Goldenvoice, the organizers behind Coachella, have officially announced their next megafest. Taking place October 7th – 9th at Indio, California’s Empire Polo Grounds, Desert Trip will feature performance from six rock ‘n’ roll institutions: Sir Paul McCartney,The Rolling Stones, Roger Waters, The Who, Bob Dylan, and Neil Young will all share the same stage for the first time ever.

Dylan and The Stones are to play back to back on Friday to open the festival. Young and McCartney will follow on Saturday, with The Who and Waters closing out the event on Sunday.

Ticket prices are as follows:

Single-day passes – $199

Three-day general admission – $399

Reserved floor – $699, $999, $1,599

Reserved grandstand – $999, $1599

Standing pit – $1,599

I'm guessing this whole thing is aimed at the fat-walleted boomers who perhaps haven't seen all these acts, and can tick them off in one single event. It will be billed as a 'greatest show on earth' but with the average age of the crowd pushing 50 and the lack of drinking the atmosphere will be inevitably sedate and despite modestly good performances, this will fade from the cultural memory fairly quickly.

But... it would be a different story if they had Led Zeppelin, a Gimour / Mason / Waters Pink Floyd and maybe the Grateful Dead as the headliners... then the prices would start to look reasonable!