Secret glasto

Muppetmark

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, djdavejohnson said:

As I was almost certain I wasn't going to get a ticket in the resale, I was actually going to ask @stuartbert two hats if I could help this year, however I did get a ticket so that's all a bit redundant now. It was a great help last year confirming my guilty pleasure... do you remember...?!

A guess, Bastille?

3 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I'll gladly help., but I am not really the font of all knowledge

What we really need is someone totally obsessed with Glastonbury, doesn't have a ticket and isn't a technophobe.  Just over half of the rumours came from these forums in the build up and then the rest came in through tips sent to the SecretGlasto twitter account or by monitoring social media.  E.g. The Crow's Nest tweeted a photo of their chalkboard every morning and I typed it up so that anyone getting tweets via SMS could read it.  I'd also get messages sent direct, such as "Michael Eavis on stage with Moody Blues at Acoustic NOW"

It took a big chunk out of my time in the end last year, but arguably I did go overboard.  Rather than try to avoid all Glasto related things over the weekend, I decided to go the other way and totally throw myself into it - live vicariously through you lot. I really enjoyed it and even if you didn't spend loads of time on it, it's still worth doing.  

If we don't find anyone, then at least we're going to schedule the tweets to go automatically.  Won't be as many, but will still be worth it.  The funny thing is, I'm still not decided whether I'm actually going to follow the account, as I quite like the idea of secret stuff being secret!

18 minutes ago, Glastobuddy said:

Where do you get the info from, is it just rumours or does the new recruit need to help getting "concrete" sets and stages from on site?

I've covered most of it in my last post, but I'll give the full rundown here:

1. Here.  Soon after the full lineup was posted, I created a Secret Glasto thread where I continually edited the thread to add any secret sets people knew of with a high degree of certainty.  Most of the work for secret sets before the festival was done by other people.  Nearly all the acts on here were known before the Wednesday.  I had planned on keeping it synchronized with the Twitter feed as new info came , but there was no time.  However, I did use that list as a basis for the tweets.
  2. Checking social media (primarily Twitter) for any updates.  E.g The Crow's Nest tweeted all their acts on the day, and some of you  may remember this: 
  3. Direct tips from the public, to the @SecretGlasto twitter account.  I tweaked the account to allow DMs from anyone.  Having 8,831 followers has its advantages
  4. Tips direct to my personal account, normally along the lines of "We've had some talk and this might happen, but keen it private for now..."  In the end none of these came off, I believe.
Edited by stuartbert two hats

10 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

thinking on it, as I have a ticket and once past the entrance gate I am the most unreliable person in the word. I would be useless

quite happily keep you informed if I hear anything

Thanks for that.  All findings are very welcome.  

We really need someone without a ticket. Me and Mark would just run it in the weeks leading up to the festival + set up a robot to send out the tweets otherwise.  Nobody wants to try and run this from their phone on-site.  Believe me, it's much too much work.

Anyone dedicated/deranged enough to be prepared to run the account probably has a ticket.  Hopefully someone will step forwards.

Whoever takes over needs to not be a knobhead who thinks he's logged in as himself and tweets at stand up comedians, accidentally sending thousands of SMS messages out.

I bet loads of people think Matt Kirshen is going to be playing Glastonbury now.

I wondered why a stand up was following a web developer.  Muppet.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

• 2 weeks later...

I've offered, but I'm still trying for a ticket ATM. Even should I fall to pick one up I'm not the ideal candidate, in that I'll be working with limited internet access until Friday evening. If no one else steps up I'll be available if needed.