Tickets solding out faster and faster

mirupuu

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

i'd say the biggest single TV effect was from when channel 4 broadcast it. The next year was the first silly year.

I loved the anarchic nature of the channel 4 coverage, tbh.  Even though many of the presenters made the move to the BBC it was never the same.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, russycarps said:

2004 was mad. Sat at a computer for something like 10 hours straight. Some people were at it even longer. Amazing really.

I cant remember what the error page looked like, just a blank screen with a generic error message wasn't it? None of this fancy queuing stuff.

Didn't have a computer back then,spent the whole night with the landline receiver tied to my head and pressing the redial,eventually got the tip off about the international number and got through on the second go

16 minutes ago, russycarps said:

2004 was mad. Sat at a computer for something like 10 hours straight. Some people were at it even longer. Amazing really.

I cant remember what the error page looked like, just a blank screen with a generic error message wasn't it? None of this fancy queuing stuff.

I tried all evening in 2004 until giving up at about 2am. Got up twice in the night (nada) then again when I got to work the next morning - nada again.

A week or two later one of my work colleagues called me (I was at work) saying he had just heard on the radio that there were some tickets on sale. I ran into the office and immediately bagged two for Mrs Ben and friend. 

The Yin and the Yang of T Day...

Ben

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

Tickets went on sale at 8pm on Sunday, I bagged them via the backdoor Freya link at about 06:45 the following morning after pressing F5 all night. I "worked from home" that day.

The error page looked like this:

_39997367_glastoweb203.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3593583.stm

Edited by Cheesey

7 hours ago, ElLouise said:

I think it since it started being shown on the BBC, the media coverage increased so more people became interested in going.

This ^^ - latterly, the Chris Evans effect unfortunately.

I am not a veteran by any stretch but have lost count of the number of people who, when I say I am going, reply 'yeah I really should give Glasto a try one year' :huh:

I personally think they should slow the process down again and sell in about 4 hours. This means the truly committed tend to end up rewarded rather than the casual punter who would try for a bit then give up.

I have failed the last 2 years so this may be why i have this opinion but i think theres a bit of truth in it.

11 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Festivals are way more popular now, and I think that is what is driving the prices up. Festivals in the early / mid 90s: Glastonbury, Reading (no Leeds) and Phoenix.

The growth of festivals over the last 20 years has been phenomenal, despite the fact that consumption of recorded music seems to be on the wane.

I think there are a few things driving up prices. The demand has risen considerably but then so has supply - there's more festivals nowadays than you can shake a stick at - and I don't think that Glastonbury has attempted too much to capitalise on the demand other than to increase capacity over the years.

The shift from musicians income coming largely from recorded music to that derived from live performances will certainly have had an effect on the festivals' outgoings, but I think the largest increase in costs has been in the growing regulations surrounding these events. The new licence allowed for an extra 25000 on site - all of them staff while tickets available for punters remained the same. So an increase of about two thirds of those working there. Long gone are the days when you could just turn up and do pretty much whatever you wanted without a policeman in sight.

On 4/18/2016 at 6:40 PM, Calvin Klein said:

Was it that hard to get tickets in 2011 as well? Meaning holding pages/not getting to the page at all.

Yes. I couldn't get tickets in the October sale that year (the first time I was unsuccessful in the main sale). Got them in the resale.

The website fucks it less these days, hence sales being processed successfully and very quick sell outs. In years gone by See has crashed, making it impossible to buy tickets for x amount of time, ergo slower sell out time. But that doesn't necessarily equal an easier ticket-buying experience. See my experience in 2011.

Just now, OG said:

We need another 2007 to sort the men from the boys (or girls from women) I'm amazed at the amount of new people joining the forum hoping for a resale ticket, good for Neil but bad for the regulars

I don't entirely disagree with the sentiment behind what you're saying, but the truth is.. I can't help but think that another 2007 would get rid of a lot of long time regulars, including me. I've been there, survived that. Not sure I could do it a second time.

20 minutes ago, incident said:

I don't entirely disagree with the sentiment behind what you're saying, but the truth is.. I can't help but think that another 2007 would get rid of a lot of long time regulars, including me. I've been there, survived that. Not sure I could do it a second time.

Are you a man or a boy ;)

39 minutes ago, incident said:

Thinking about it i don't really think we could have another 2007 in regards to the conditions under foot as they have done a hell of a lot to the drainage, but a good downpour wouldn't go amiss 

1 hour ago, OG said:

Thinking about it i don't really think we could have another 2007 in regards to the conditions under foot as they have done a hell of a lot to the drainage, but a good downpour wouldn't go amiss 

I think if it did rain the same manor again as 2007, the ground conditions would be pretty much the same, there wasn't much flooding before just sh!t loads of muds and i don't think the new drainage will change that much, 2011 and 2014 had there mud issues with a lot less - anyway i hope we dont get to find out!:)

2 hours ago, OG said:

We need another 2007 to sort the men from the boys (or girls from women) I'm amazed at the amount of new people joining the forum hoping for a resale ticket, good for Neil but bad for the regulars

I noticed this too, i'm not a long term poster so wouldn't expect and help, but the info from the site will be useful for others and will make getting a ticket a little bit harder each year

2 hours ago, incident said:

2007 was my first year and came away saying i would never go again, legs took about 2 months to recover and we didn't get there until very late on the Thursday night, fortunateley the pain faded and by the time the 2008 ticket day came up i had changed my mind, but i have to agree with @incident, i really couldn't face that again, 9 years doesn't seem a lot but it has taken a toll on me, going from just entering middle age to being well into it and now everything is a lot more difficult. i'm already expecting this year to be my last for a while as i just can't do the festival in the way that i want too. i'm hoping that my mind and body will get in synch and i'll be able to enjoy a more sedate festival in a few years time. 

20 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Sorry @gooner1990 but i just remembered 2009 differently so i have done a little bit of research and the below links paint a different picture, i think the 8 weeks mentioned in the history page may refer to something else - resale maybe?

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/feb/03/glastonbury-festival-2009-sells-out

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/oct/06/half.glastonbury.2009.tickets.sold

7 hours ago, OG said:

Matt is linking to the WhatsApp group thread from Facebook so I'd imagine a fair few are turning up from there. I do hope that they will stick around and contribute here. Despite the disagreements that pop up on here it's a drop in the ocean compared to the number of argumentative twats on FB and, as we all know, this is where all the real obsessive Glastonbury goers hang out. ;)