PRS For Music

CharlieT

Does anyone know if this is an essential license for organising a music festival? I have been in touch with them and got quoted a charge of 3% of the overall ticket sales for the license!!?! This seems pretty steep...

Edited by CharlieT

30 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

Does anyone know if this is an essential license for organising a music festival? I have been in touch with them and got quoted a charge of 3% of the overall ticket sales for the license!!?! This seems pretty steep...

Hopefully they'll be someone who can tell you more about it, but yes, I know that PRS say its obligatory, and that it's priced as a percentage of the ticket price.

It is compulsory, even if it's just yourself playing your own music. If you charge entrance then you pay. It's to pay the composers of the songs the performers are performing.

What I've never got my head round is why classical music is on a far higher tariff (7%!) when most composers are probably dead for a century or few...