Cabaret Field bar, Wednesday 6pm: eFestivals meet

eFestivals

43 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Ok everyone just had a thought. I've spent the last few years explaining to my daughter why meeting online strangers is a bad thing. So when my daughter & I arrive at this you have to all pretend you've known me for years. And try not to be too weird. What could possibly go wrong with that plan.

Whilst a commendable policy to teach your daughter, it may be a bit outdated.  Well, require a bit more nuance anyway. There are more safe and less safe ways of meeting people for the first time that you 'know' from the Internet.  Initially meeting somewhere public for instance is safer.  More precautions are generally required when meeting an individual compared to meeting as a member of a group.  When meeting an individual, having spoken on the telephone definitely helps.  

I met my wife on the Internet 11 years ago, that worked out alright. I regularly attend professional meetups organised on the Internet. You're satisfied that it's safe to meet the rest of the eFests crew.  It's not without risks, but as a blanket 'bad thing'?  There are certainly worse ways to meet people. 

15 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Whilst a commendable policy to teach your daughter, it may be a bit outdated.  Well, require a bit more nuance anyway. There are more safe and less safe ways of meeting people for the first time that you 'know' from the Internet.  Initially meeting somewhere public for instance is safer.  More precautions are generally required when meeting an individual compared to meeting as a member of a group.  When meeting an individual, having spoken on the telephone definitely helps.  

I met my wife on the Internet 11 years ago, that worked out alright. I regularly attend professional meetups organised on the Internet. You're satisfied that it's safe to meet the rest of the eFests crew.  It's not without risks, but as a blanket 'bad thing'?  There are certainly worse ways to meet people. 

All good and sensible advice, I'm sure, but doesn't make for much of an amusing aside. 

• Upvote 2

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:09 PM, Lizzim said:

@chrislfc  Going by your user name you and my other half will have a lot to talk about.

I am indeed of the red persuasion when it comes to football matters from my city.

Might try and make this if we get there in time.

Not picking our Motorhome up until Wednesday afternoon though which is annoying as we normally arrive Tuesday night, down a bottle of single malt between us then hit the sack all ready for the following day. Won't be doing that this year.

On 21/04/2016 at 3:24 PM, Wooderson said:

9 actually. Soon as the Bullseye-bonhomie died down.

Seem to remember talking to you and The Nal about Bullseye for ages! I think Gnomicide had long gone by then :D

Edit: When I say ages, you have to remember that my concept of time had gone tits up by that stage. Was it about 10pm?

Edited by Pear_Cider

Pretty sure I turned the lights out to be honest, as Mr & Mrs Wooderson rode off into the distance like the closing scene from Shane.

Though that may have been the year before.

I remember making it to Williams Green as Africa was playing, the last song of Guilty Pleasures.

Edited by Gnomicide