Time to walk from Gate A to South Park 2 campsite?

Ray Sheep

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

With stuff to carry my guess would be about 40 minutes...

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Half an hour easy. But depends on time of day, crowds, underfoot conditions and what you're carrying.

Thanks! That's not as bad as I expected :)

1 minute ago, Joshuwarr said:

I find Gate A to the Oxlyers usually quite easy (which will be about half your journey). I guess the tricky bit is the hill! If you have a little break by the other stage then you'll smash it :)

Thanks - I've recently started swimming to get my lazy fat arse prepared for some serious Glasto trekking ;) I will definitely need a break!

Used to pitch in Pennards every year - me and one of my mates were a nightmare for stopping off for drinks, chilling out etc. on the way to pitch - would sometimes take us hours :D Back then you could still easily get a decent spot in Pennards late on the Wednesday mind.

Just now, rubenz said:

Might be a daft question but could you not get in gate d and park there. Much closer to the South Park 2 area

I'm getting a coach :) Thanks for the suggestion though!

Ah hadn't thought of that! I have always camped in South Park 2 for the last 8 years so have done the trek many times from both gate a and gate d. It is a bit of a mission, I would reckon more like 45 mins on the way in with having to stop for a bit of a breather with carrying the rucksack etc. At least if you are on the bus it will just be the once you have to do it as won't need to go back to the car etc. Normally get there about midday on the Wednesday and there is still plenty of room.

South Park 2 is a nice part of the site and as you say it's pretty quiet in the nightime but also a good location if you like to come back at night via the park as I tend to normally do.

Depending upon how much you bring with you, you could always leave some of your stuff (not the tent!!!!) at the lock-ups just inside Gate A and then go back to get them at your leisure once you have the tent set up.  Would make the walk easier.  

I'd also keep a few tinnies with you.  Arrive at chosen spot, celebratory drink; put tent up, achievement drink; walk back to lock up, bimble drink.   

6 minutes ago, rubenz said:

Ah hadn't thought of that! I have always camped in South Park 2 for the last 8 years so have done the trek many times from both gate a and gate d. It is a bit of a mission, I would reckon more like 45 mins on the way in with having to stop for a bit of a breather with carrying the rucksack etc. At least if you are on the bus it will just be the once you have to do it as won't need to go back to the car etc. Normally get there about midday on the Wednesday and there is still plenty of room.

South Park 2 is a nice part of the site and as you say it's pretty quiet in the nightime but also a good location if you like to come back at night via the park as I tend to normally do.

Thanks for the info! I don't actually know anyone who has pitched in South Park 2 before (I've just heard that it's way more chilled than Pennards) so very useful to hear your reasons for selecting this campsite :) 

I was originally considering the fields closer to gate A but am not keen on trekking back via Silver Hayes (I don't spend any time there) and would much prefer to head back via the Park, like you mentioned. Also, one of my mates unfortunately cannot arrive until Thursday afternoon - I believe there should still be enough space for her (little) tent in South Park 2 at that time. 

I don't mind the initial trek with my stuff - I just hope the weather is okay when I arrive and I manage to get some sleep on the coach! I'm due to arrive at 5.30am on the Wednesday and am dreading the thought of it relentlessly pissing down on me whilst I wait for the gates to open, having had not a moment's shut eye...! :unsure:

12 minutes ago, OG said:

GlastoWalkingTimes.jpg

That's really handy - thanks! 

10 minutes ago, mandolin said:

Depending upon how much you bring with you, you could always leave some of your stuff (not the tent!!!!) at the lock-ups just inside Gate A and then go back to get them at your leisure once you have the tent set up.  Would make the walk easier.  

I'd also keep a few tinnies with you.  Arrive at chosen spot, celebratory drink; put tent up, achievement drink; walk back to lock up, bimble drink.   

That's a really good idea - thanks! I always worry about leaving stuff in lock-ups; I have very poor sense of direction and the likelihood of me finding the correct lock-up to collect my stuff from is very low :wacko: However, I know gate A and the surrounding area pretty well after numerous coach trips to Glasto, so surely could find the one there :) 

Edited by Ray Sheep

I'm arriving by coach and definitely just camping in one of the fields close to gate A, haven't got the inclination to be carrying my stuff for miles :D

The only thing I'm worried about the 'quieter' fields is that I'm going to have to be really quiet in the night and whisper, or get shouted at by people in other tents if I'm too loud, not that I'm going to be having a rave or something.

13 minutes ago, Kneale said:

I'm arriving by coach and definitely just camping in one of the fields close to gate A, haven't got the inclination to be carrying my stuff for miles :D

The only thing I'm worried about the 'quieter' fields is that I'm going to have to be really quiet in the night and whisper, or get shouted at by people in other tents if I'm too loud, not that I'm going to be having a rave or something.

I might end up doing the same, particularly if the weather is bad and / or I don't get much sleep on the journey down :D

I also hope they are not that quiet! Maybe in family camping areas, but surely not anywhere else...

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

think that table needs to be updated - as the fest has got more jammed it's taking longer to traverse

I agree as it is from 2009. I still use it as a guide when doing the clash finder though along with a little prior knowledge

54 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

This is great although I'm astonished that it takes anyone 55 minutes to get from John Peel to the Stone Circle! Maybe the time just flies :o

I took the kids for two years and camped in wicket ground and i would say stone circle back to camp was at the very least 1 hour. I did however have a 4, 8 and 12 year old in tow. 

1 hour ago, Ray Sheep said:

I might end up doing the same, particularly if the weather is bad and / or I don't get much sleep on the journey down :D

I also hope they are not that quiet! Maybe in family camping areas, but surely not anywhere else...

It's my first time, so hopefully someone else can confirm they're not as quiet as a library in the middle of the night :D

7 hours ago, Kneale said:

It's my first time, so hopefully someone else can confirm they're not as quiet as a library in the middle of the night :D

Quiet is relative. Most of the campsites at Glastonbury tend to be 'quiet' as people don't hang around their tents as much as at arena festivals, even Pennards and Oxlyers are pretty quiet between 10pm-4am. I think people are more referring to the fields not being as busy, so you won't be sleeping side to side with your neighbour and hearing them snore throughout the night/morning.

Also going to be aiming for South Park 2 if we end up coming through Gate D. Determined not to be stupid an miss the turning for west car parks like last year!

Edited by blackred