Stage advice 11 year old lad in tow

Hacky

Asked some questions few months back and got some good advice, seems there will be plenty for my son to do.

I didn't ask however what was best to do around the stages when the bands we were interested in seeing were on.

For bands we really like he'd be happy to stand in with the busy crowds, ones we were just interested in maybe checking out maybe stand at the back. However does anyone have some advice such as areas at the stages that are not mega congested that are good vantage points areas on a slight slope etc that help out an average height 11 year old?

Also I've heard some stages you can sit on a camping chair etc at the back and still see OK, so that might suit him for any bands we are just curious about. However some places I've been before camping chairs are out of control and a hindrance to others, so part of his Glastonbury education is how not to be an annoying knob in a large crowd so am unsure about humping chairs about, although I understand we could stash them in the lock ups when not on in use.

Any advice appreciated.

2 minutes ago, stardustjunkie said:

We usually stand behind the disabled platform at the Pyramid stage. You can see the screens and the occasional glimpse of the stage.

No one else tends to stand there really.. People who do use that area tend to dance, chill out on the grass etc.

Thanks sounds like the type of place that will suit us.

You get a pretty good vantage point at the right hand side of The Other stage, on a bit of a slope and not too congested. I also like standing on the Right hand side of the Pyramid stage about half way back, you can see the stage and also have a good view of all 3 screens. Also if you find yourself in the crowd for any set, just take you time getting out of the crush, maybe have him in front of you so you can stop him getting pushed from the back. People are pretty good at being carefull around kids, even in a bit of a scrum.

2 minutes ago, Hacky said:

Thanks sounds like the type of place that will suit us.

We love it and we don't have children. If he is tired then he has a massive space to sit down without any worry of being trodden on.

As the above post says as well, be careful in the crushes when people leave. We usually give the crowds time to disperse as we're not in a rush to get anywhere :) 

Taking our kids this year - 3 year old and 12 year old.(although 3yr old is only staying for friday).

I remember how packed pyramid was (even for lionel ritchie) last year. We were even rammed up against the stalls on the side.

It was nuts so I'm gonna have same problem. Need somewhere to stand thats a bit more chilled.

We are taking the 12 year old this year and normally like to be right down the front so will have to change tack.

If he is up to it I might aim for second barrier. Then if he freaks out or something happens we can escape into the security area. And he will be able to see because of the gap in the crowd in front.

Then again we might just mooch at the back.

Aiming for Wicket btw so if you see us come over and say hi.

19 hours ago, stardustjunkie said:

We usually stand behind the disabled platform at the Pyramid stage. You can see the screens and the occasional glimpse of the stage.

No one else tends to stand there really.. People who do use that area tend to dance, chill out on the grass etc.

Actually I stand there, just to the right of the speaker,. right behind where the disabled access, it's a pain to get to but once there there is loads of room

If you go to the JP tent, then approach from the top side and theres often room, although this stage is apparently moving this year so might not be the same.

At the Park, you can get up the hill and have a birds eye view of the stage which is pretty cool.

On 17 April 2016 at 5:09 PM, stardustjunkie said:

We stand here as well as my wife doesn't like the crowds to much and you can dance well 

2 hours ago, paulfoel said:

Wheres the disabled platform?

I know last year we turned up coming from the south side (ie. the shops/stalls etc) and you just couldnt get anywhere past there.

If you were on the pyramid stage it is up to the back on the left.

If coming in from John Peel end walk up past the bar and come in at the top, instead of coming in by the stalls/stage at the bottom.

It is grim for the "legend" slot but so is the rest of that field.

• 2 weeks later...

When ours were that age, we used to bounce between Avalon, West Holts (Jazz World back then), Acoustic and the theatre fields.   With regular trips to the Kids Fields throughout Fri - Sun.  All these are within 10 minutes walk of each other.  A few dips into Greenpeace and the Greenfields during the day...   keeps it interesting for them.   And then the odd trip out to The Pyramid to see a few 'names' .

What I wouldn't do is plonk yourself down in one place for too long.   they will get bored.

When we took ours at 12 we took one of these.  As long as they are not overly tall it only makes them a similar height to an adult.  I must admit i stood on it a few times as Im only 5'2" and it was great but i was careful not to annoy anyone.  They fold up really easily and can be carried without too much trouble.

$_57.JPG

13 hours ago, mandb said:

When we took ours at 12 we took one of these.  As long as they are not overly tall it only makes them a similar height to an adult.  I must admit i stood on it a few times as Im only 5'2" and it was great but i was careful not to annoy anyone.  They fold up really easily and can be carried without too much trouble.

$_57.JPG

Nice...do you have a URL for where I could buy please?

There's a great spot for the pyramid, to the right hand side (when looking towards it) aligned with the mixing desk, maybe a bit in front - the ground drops a bit and you can get fantastic views across the crowd to the stage. I remember it best for blur in 09, we had a great spot. 

It does get busy mind so maybe one for the bands you are really interested in only

As others have said, OS is a difficult one, pretty flat on the whole 

Park is easy, go round the far side, always plenty of space and great views

hope he has a great time :D

You can always get great views at the main stages if you don't mind looking at a bit of an angle. On all the stages if you head to the left of the stages, next to the bars etc, and work you way forward you can get really close, and get great views, albeit it at an angle. And you can always move back easily if it starts to get a bit crowded. This works really well at the Pyramid, Other and Park Stages. You just move forward until it starts getting a bit more crowded then you stop and stay there. You can often work your way to the middle it you want to. And because you are at the edge, and haven't barged your way through, the atmosphere is really chilled, no one minds if you get a step out for your young'un to stand on.

I would always recommend this rather than being well back, abeit it central, around the sound desks, where your usually miles back from the stage. just my personal opinion/experience though. Try it and see how you get on, I think you will be surprised how close you can get, but still have loads of space around you. And you can get out quickly if you want

Yep left of pyramid stage is good. Easy access in and out of the field of you enter by the chameleon bar. There is a water aid stand too which is good in hot weather. 

Is there an age where those footstools stop being acceptable? I'm only 5'3 and could do with one sometimes 

On ‎2‎-‎5‎-‎2016 at 11:12 AM, parsonjack said:

Does anyone know if we can take my 14 year old niece into the NYC Downlow?  She's pretty broadminded and it would be before the acts got going but with her interest in stage design as a career it would be good to give her an insight.

I'd say you can certainly bring her to the Block 9 area which houses NYC Downlow, London Underground and Genosys during the day. There'll be nothing going on but you can examine and admire the designs. You could also visit the Unfairground and Shangri-La during the day in the same manner.

I'm not sure about taking her *into* the NYC Downlow, since it doesn't open until the nighttime and it doesn't sound like you actually want her to watch the acts there. Also, the stage design for the NYC Downlow is all on the outside anyway, the interior didn't seem that inspired to me.

On 5/2/2016 at 10:12 AM, parsonjack said:

Does anyone know if we can take my 14 year old niece into the NYC Downlow?  She's pretty broadminded and it would be before the acts got going but with her interest in stage design as a career it would be good to give her an insight.

I wouldn't this year...." Now darker, seedier and moodier, get ready to experience a new chapter in the ongoing NYC Downlow story. An authentic reproduction of a meatpacker’s warehouse circa 1982, the new design also features a second dance room called THE MEAT RACK and a hidden, blacked out play space for the more adventurous partygoer…". Not somewhere I'd take a 14 year old TBH - there are things she won't be able to "un-see". Though I'll deffo be paying a visit ;-)

On 4/17/2016 at 4:56 PM, Hacky said:

Also I've heard some stages you can sit on a camping chair etc at the back and still see OK, so that might suit him for any bands we are just curious about. However some places I've been before camping chairs are out of control and a hindrance to others, so part of his Glastonbury education is how not to be an annoying knob in a large crowd so am unsure about humping chairs about, although I understand we could stash them in the lock ups when not on in use.

You can bring chairs, many do, though you seem to have quite a good attitude about not wanting to annoy people.  At the back of the pyramid there's often rows of chairs pretty much chained together which make an impenetrable wall for those trying to move about the field.

We often bring the 3-legged camping stools with us - hopefully that allows people to mill around us as they're much smaller.  We generally try not to set up where we're going to block people sat on the ground and put them away when it's busier.  They're also lighter so we don't feel we've set up camp for the day as we'll probably be on the move again fairly soon.