Getting through the crowd- Thoughts?

ElLouise

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

that flimsy guardian bag that doesn't have much room and doesn't even have a zip for security? besides if your carrying it all day its a lot easier a bag with straps you can just stick on your back rather then the flimsy strings that come with the guardian type of bags.  I usually carry everything I might need for the day, cans, water bottle, bog roll, hand san, phone, wallet and depending on the weather a poncho in case it decides to shit it down.....whats the issue? many of these bags are even advertised as `daypacks`  mine is this one....hardly an 85 litre massive pack now is it? http://www.berghaus.com/twentyfourseven%2B-20-rucksack/421431.html

The Guardian did a great bag with rope strings that shut the bag closed when it dropped behind your back (closed like an anus) up until 2010 ish. Was absolutely perfect. Sturdy and lightweight.

glastotote.jpg?format=1000w

Actually, I'm going to email them right now and ask them to bring it back.

Edited by The Nal

2 hours ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

that flimsy guardian bag that doesn't have much room and doesn't even have a zip for security? besides if your carrying it all day its a lot easier a bag with straps you can just stick on your back rather then the flimsy strings that come with the guardian type of bags.  I usually carry everything I might need for the day, cans, water bottle, bog roll, hand san, phone, wallet and depending on the weather a poncho in case it decides to shit it down.....whats the issue? many of these bags are even advertised as `daypacks`  mine is this one....hardly an 85 litre massive pack now is it? http://www.berghaus.com/twentyfourseven%2B-20-rucksack/421431.html

Have to agree day pack is essential, as once I leave the tent for the day I ain't walking back until bed time.

I have small cycling day pack that is fully waterproof and has cover (which is better than canvas bags) this is much more comfortable to carry about & just gets put on the floor when stopped - in this I will have hoody, poncho, beanie, drinks, loo roll, hand sanitiser, sun lotion, sunglasses (as I wear glasses so have to carry these separately), money, torch, camera, lip balm and probably glow sticks.

apart from the glow sticks, I think everything I carry for the day is necessary tbh and covers any changes of weather

7 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

Have to agree day pack is essential, as once I leave the tent for the day I ain't walking back until bed time.

I have small cycling day pack that is fully waterproof and has cover (which is better than canvas bags) this is much more comfortable to carry about & just gets put on the floor when stopped - in this I will have hoody, poncho, beanie, drinks, loo roll, hand sanitiser, sun lotion, sunglasses (as I wear glasses so have to carry these separately), money, torch, camera, lip balm and probably glow sticks.

apart from the glow sticks, I think everything I carry for the day is necessary tbh and covers any changes of weather

Yeah I do something like this. The bag itself is just small enough to fold up and fit in my pocket come evening time when I've drank the bottle of spirits within and am putting on the extra layers of clothing.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Oh and I'd fully support the return of capital punishment for shoulder sitters and ipad filmers. 

Cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind would want to bring an iPad to Glasto, especially out and about with them - it's bad enough at a gig! 

I don't mind people going on shoulders though, as long as they don't sit there for the entire set and block the view for others. Going up for a minute or two during your favourite song is a great feeling and makes me smile when someone goes up and you can tell it's an amazing moment for them.

On 17/04/2016 at 11:18 AM, ElLouise said:

So everyone has to get through the crowd- it's everyone Glastonbury, so everyone wants to get a decent spot. But I have a bit of an issue, not with the people getting through the crowd but the people who tut, give dirty looks or worse try and push back. I think it's really rude and not in the Glastonbury spirit at all, I get some people barge through which isn't right either especially when there's kids about, but I think just let it go everyone needs to get through the crowd at some point. Most people say sorry as they go through, but even if they don't I don't think the negative energy is needed. What do you think? 

I haven't read the thread, so this may have been mentioned before, but what do you mean by 'need'?

14 hours ago, dannygrif said:

Cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind would want to bring an iPad to Glasto, especially out and about with them - it's bad enough at a gig! 

I don't mind people going on shoulders though, as long as they don't sit there for the entire set and block the view for others. Going up for a minute or two during your favourite song is a great feeling and makes me smile when someone goes up and you can tell it's an amazing moment for them.

I agree with this. As a tiny person, it made my festival in 2014 to sit on my friend's shoulders for one song in Kasabian's set. I always have to bob around to get the best view and to see it all from so high up, to see all the people and all the flags and actually have a good view of the stage was an unbelievable experience and it's still so vivid in my mind despite the blur of the whole weekend. I'd never do it for more than one song (also wouldn't put the poor person I'm sitting on through that), but for one song sometimes it just makes someone's day. 

Being 6ft 3 I regularly get asked by people if they can sit on my shoulders. I don't personally see a problem with it if its just for a short period of time. Can allow the shorter people in the crowd to get a chance to see the stage and the act properly.

Last year during Kanye West's set a guy behind me asked if he could go on  my shoulders for a bit and i said it was fine. However what i didn't realise was that he'd light a flare and then after only a few moments drop it into the crowd causing hysteria. Maybe I should be a bit more wary next time someone at the pyramid asks to sit on my shoulders!

My issue with people on shoulders comes from the Stones. A girl got up on someone's shoulders just as they came on and stayed up there for three or four songs despite being asked (and then screamed at) by those behind her to get down. The selfish idiot thought it was a good idea to start waving at those behind her... and that's when the pint throwing started. I can't pretend I didn't enjoy the look on her face when the third or fourth paper cup full of liquid hit her (for clarity I didn't throw anythung). I just wish I wasn't so close that I was hit myself. 

Edited by Hugh Jass

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

My issue with people on shoulders comes from the Stones. A girl got up on someone's shoulders just as they came on and stayed up there for three or four songs despite being asked (and then screamed at) by those behind her to get down. The selfish idiot thought it was a good idea to start waving at those behind her... and that's when the pint throwing started. I can't pretend I didn't enjoy the look on her face when the third or fourth paper cup full of liquid hit her (for clarity I didn't throw anythung). I just wish I wasn't so close that I was hit myself. 

yeah as soon as anyone goes up on shoulder they will become target practice, maybe not so much at Glastonbury but defo other festivals...I always try to move away when it happens as you end up being covered lol

49 minutes ago, Bradders said:

During the Stones somebody in front of us sat on a stepladder for the entire set.

Can't remember who I was seeing or where it was, but as soon as whoever it was came on stage a guy close to me took off his rucksack, bent down to take something out and then stood up as an eight foot giant on a pair of plastering stilts.

On 17/04/2016 at 11:55 AM, JoBalls said:

The most annoying thing for me is when people look like they are moving through to get closer to the front and so you move to let them past and then they decide to stop right in front of you... And they are all at least 7ft tall.

and wearing a hat!!

18 hours ago, dannygrif said:

Going up for a minute or two during your favourite song is a great feeling and makes me smile when someone goes up and you can tell it's an amazing moment for them.

Phillipa's van syndrome again!

1 hour ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

people on shoulders are annoying....its like wow great you solved your shortness issue by getting on your mates back.....but you've just blocked everyone for rows behind you being able to see a thing!.....selfishness again they deserve to be used for target practice 

Really don't agree. It's part of the experience and it's all well and good saying "you solved your shortness issue" but the reality for a lot of people is that they have a really shitty view of the stage for the whole show. I don't think them going up on someone's shoulders for a minute or two means they deserve things being thrown at them. 

20 minutes ago, dannygrif said:

Really don't agree. It's part of the experience and it's all well and good saying "you solved your shortness issue" but the reality for a lot of people is that they have a really shitty view of the stage for the whole show. I don't think them going up on someone's shoulders for a minute or two means they deserve things being thrown at them. 

A minute or two fine. Fifteen to twenty minutes like the girl at the Stones then scenes resembling the start of Gladiator are acceptable... "on my command, unleash hell".

Edited by Hugh Jass

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

A minute or two fine. Fifteen to twenty minutes like the girl at the Stones then scenes resembling the start of Gladiator are acceptable... "on my command, unleash hell".

Yeah, it's beyond me that anyone could do that without thinking of the people behind them. For this instance I shall allow a volley of flaming arrows if they do not respond to prior warning or they respond aggressively.