Overnight coverage of EU Referendum result broadcast on site?

Ray Sheep

I doubt there'll be anything official - one or two bars have TVs (the Avalon Inn, from memory, was showing rugby last year or the year before...) and you can always take a radio if you must have minute by minute coverage.

Remember how fast the Michael Jackson news spread a few years ago, before many people had phones with internet access though? The news will get out quickly. For me, it's all the more reason to take my smartphone and a decent Anker charger this year. 

I don't ever recall seeing a TV with news being broadcast, but under the circumstances you never know - it's pretty much up to the individual bar so you'd have to ask around. I would have thought the most sure fire way of getting the latest updates is to bring a smart phone and portable charger, though I can understand why someone may not want to do that.

Personally I hope I can avoid the coverage. I'm sure I'll find out by word of mouth anyway, and will happily wait for the press the next morning ( or day after if it's going to be that close.

Yeah, what P&AP said!

Edited by musky

11 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I doubt there'll be anything official - one or two bars have TVs (the Avalon Inn, from memory, was showing rugby last year or the year before...) and you can always take a radio if you must have minute by minute coverage.

Remember how fast the Michael Jackson news spread a few years ago, before many people had phones with internet access though? The news will get out quickly. For me, it's all the more reason to take my smartphone and a decent Anker charger this year. 

9 minutes ago, musky said:

I don't ever recall seeing a TV with news being broadcast, but under the circumstances you never know - it's pretty much up to the individual bar so you'd have to ask around. I would have thought the most sure fire way of getting the latest updates is to bring a smart phone and portable charger, though I can understand why someone may not want to do that.

Personally I hope I can avoid the coverage. I'm sure I'll find out by word of mouth anyway, and will happily wait for the press the next morning ( or day after if it's going to be that close.

Yeah, what P&AP said!

Thanks both :) I would like to watch the coverage live if possible. Originally I was meant to be going to a pub somewhere in London with a friend to watch it all and then heading to Glasto afterwards on the Friday - then I remembered that I would miss the David Bowie tribute so I had to let my friend down and change my plans so that I can arrive on the Wednesday morning. 

Very good point that I could just sit and either listen on the radio or stream on my phone...that'll do if necessary.

Ta!

Edited by Ray Sheep

I'm really interested in the results but I don't think I'll watch it. I hadn't really thought that it would be shown anywhere, I just assumed that it'll be something that everyone will be talking about the next day because they saw it on social media etc.

Phone and/or radio is a good idea if you want to watch the whole thing as I wouldn't pin your hopes on a bar showing it.

1 hour ago, A Guy Called Matt said:

Are you sure the count is overnight?

The results show would be quite dull though wouldn't it - all over in a flash of two numbers oine slightly bigger than the other.

Not 100% sure, my friend seems to think so though and she works in government...

I actually really enjoy the overnight shows when general election etc. results come in...I'm a bit of a saddo I guess :)

Just now, Ray Sheep said:

Not 100% sure, my friend seems to think so though and she works in government...

I actually really enjoy the overnight shows when general election etc. results come in...I'm a bit of a saddo I guess :)

the normal election overnight shows are for over 600 different results though.

This is just one count with one result. Given that I am already bored senseless by it all I think I will happily find out when I get back home.

Just now, A Guy Called Matt said:

the normal election overnight shows are for over 600 different results though.

This is just one count with one result. Given that I am already bored senseless by it all I think I will happily find out when I get back home.

There was coverage for the Scottish independence referendum results overnight.

On 15/04/2016 at 9:20 PM, Ray Sheep said:

Hello,

Does anyone know if there's going to be anywhere on site broadcasting the results of the EU referendum as they come in throughout the Thursday night? 

Thanks!

i hope so! my partner, friends and i would love to watch this.

we will all be voting by post to leave, so the coverage / result won't cause any pissed up arguments within our group at least! :D

From the BBC Website

When and how will the results be announced?

Counts will get under way when polls close at 22:00 GMT Thursday, 23 June at 382 local centres around the UK. These local results will be declared as the counts are completed before being collated at 12 regional centres, which will also declare the totals for each side. A chief counting officer will then announce the overall result at Manchester Town Hall.

That could make it interesting as we will see which way the different regions of the UK vote.

16 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

From the BBC Website

When and how will the results be announced?

Counts will get under way when polls close at 22:00 GMT Thursday, 23 June at 382 local centres around the UK. These local results will be declared as the counts are completed before being collated at 12 regional centres, which will also declare the totals for each side. A chief counting officer will then announce the overall result at Manchester Town Hall.

That could make it interesting as we will see which way the different regions of the UK vote.

Thanks grumpyhack! That definitely sounds interesting and I would very much like to watch live.

Which ever way the result goes it's going to make for an interesting time ahead.  Should the vote go 'leave' it will be two years before we actually leave the EU, during which time exit terms will have to be negotiated, along with new deals.

2 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Which ever way the result goes it's going to make for an interesting time ahead.  Should the vote go 'leave' it will be two years before we actually leave the EU, during which time exit terms will have to be negotiated, along with new deals.

Indeed. It's amazing how many people seem oblivious of the two year exit / negotiation period - a lovely South African colleague of mine (working here on a German passport) was genuinely fearing being kicked out of the UK the very next day if we vote to leave!

On 15/04/2016 at 9:20 PM, Ray Sheep said:

Hello,

Does anyone know if there's going to be anywhere on site broadcasting the results of the EU referendum as they come in throughout the Thursday night? 

Thanks!

In a busy Bar what tends to happen is the TV will be set to BBC Coverage of Glastonbury but its only a matter of luck if the remote stays within easy access - I was working at a staff bar at Reading that had a Sky receiver but we could not find the bloody Sky remote - we hunted everywhere but could not track it down and then on the Monday as we were leaving it appeared - where it had been I don't have a clue - someone who had a sky box was able to press buttons on the box but it took ages to flip though the channels -

you can ask the Tent Manager if a certain channel can be selected but don't blame them if they say they cant find the remote control.

I would say the best place to find out the result is the Left Field

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/left-field/

as they are bound to have a few TV sets watching it. 

I expect it'll be

• Pienaar and Nolan on AM 5Live with exit poll news at 10:00:01. 
  • BBC prediction.
  • 3 hours of debate about the exit poll news.
  • BBC prediction.
  • 2 hours of dribbling in results confirming or swinging the exit poll news.
  • BBC prediction.
  • More hours of results coming in.
  • BBC prediction.
  • Government announcement.
  • BBC prediction.
  • Debate about the announcement.
  • BBC prediction.
  • Debate about the exit polls
  • BBC prediction.
  • Someone resigns.
  • BBC prediction.
  • James start playing on The Other Stage.

10 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

In a busy Bar what tends to happen is the TV will be set to BBC Coverage of Glastonbury but its only a matter of luck if the remote stays within easy access - I was working at a staff bar at Reading that had a Sky receiver but we could not find the bloody Sky remote - we hunted everywhere but could not track it down and then on the Monday as we were leaving it appeared - where it had been I don't have a clue - someone who had a sky box was able to press buttons on the box but it took ages to flip though the channels -

you can ask the Tent Manager if a certain channel can be selected but don't blame them if they say they cant find the remote control.

I would say the best place to find out the result is the Left Field

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/left-field/

as they are bound to have a few TV sets watching it. 

Thanks! Will be sure to check out Left Field. 

6 hours ago, ian the worm said:

I expect it'll be

• Pienaar and Nolan on AM 5Live with exit poll news at 10:00:01. 
  • BBC prediction.
  • 3 hours of debate about the exit poll news.
  • BBC prediction.
  • 2 hours of dribbling in results confirming or swinging the exit poll news.
  • BBC prediction.
  • More hours of results coming in.
  • BBC prediction.
  • Government announcement.
  • BBC prediction.
  • Debate about the announcement.
  • BBC prediction.
  • Debate about the exit polls
  • BBC prediction.
  • Someone resigns.
  • BBC prediction.
  • James start playing on The Other Stage.

Could be spot on there! :D

23 hours ago, stardustjunkie said:

Newsnight is very interesting. Not sure if it's available on catch up but it's worth watching as a pretty well balanced argument on both sides.

(Monday 18th, 10.30pm, BBC2)

Thanks! One of my colleagues was talking about this today, I'll definitely have a look for it on catch up.