Overnight coverage of EU Referendum result broadcast on site?

Ray Sheep

On 18/04/2016 at 9:16 AM, glasto-worker said:

I would say the best place to find out the result is the Left Field

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/left-field/

as they are bound to have a few TV sets watching it. 

It'll depend on the license - I'd imagine the Leftfield would want to run something in the tent with footage, live commentary etc. Whether they'll be allowed to or not is in question. I don't know if they count as a 'main stage' or if they'd be able to do stuff in the same way Stonebridge Bar etc. can on the Thursday.

On 18 April 2016 at 1:01 PM, ian the worm said:

I expect it'll be

• Pienaar and Nolan on AM 5Live with exit poll news at 10:00:01. 
  • BBC prediction.
  • 3 hours of debate about the exit poll news.
  • BBC prediction.
  • 2 hours of dribbling in results confirming or swinging the exit poll news.
  • BBC prediction.
  • More hours of results coming in.
  • BBC prediction.
  • Government announcement.
  • BBC prediction.
  • Debate about the announcement.
  • BBC prediction.
  • Debate about the exit polls
  • BBC prediction.
  • Someone resigns.
  • BBC prediction.
  • James start playing on The Other Stage.

Given the last two Generals it seems that exit polling is so good now that we'll pretty much know the result at 10.01pm. 

On 16/04/2016 at 10:21 AM, Ray Sheep said:

Not 100% sure, my friend seems to think so though and she works in government...

I actually really enjoy the overnight shows when general election etc. results come in...I'm a bit of a saddo I guess :)

Thankfully BBC Radio 5 LIve will be providing comprehensive coverage of the counts  on MW - which means you will not have to be near a TV screen to be the first to the result.  Get yourself a cheapo radio like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-Sports-925-Portable-Radio/dp/B0048LC78K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461451757&sr=8-1&keywords=portable+MW+radio

12 hours ago, warriormonk said:

Thankfully BBC Radio 5 LIve will be providing comprehensive coverage of the counts  on MW - which means you will not have to be near a TV screen to be the first to the result.  Get yourself a cheapo radio like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-Sports-925-Portable-Radio/dp/B0048LC78K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461451757&sr=8-1&keywords=portable+MW+radio

Sound like a plan! Thanks for the link.

On 21/04/2016 at 5:43 PM, DeanoL said:

It'll depend on the license - I'd imagine the Leftfield would want to run something in the tent with footage, live commentary etc. Whether they'll be allowed to or not is in question. I don't know if they count as a 'main stage' or if they'd be able to do stuff in the same way Stonebridge Bar etc. can on the Thursday.

I did not mention a stage at all - I just mentioned a area as I know there is TUC stalls within that area and I would expect that some will either have access to a TV or a radio - if they have advance permission they may do it from a stage but more likely it will be from one of the TUC stalls and or bars - anyone who is interested just needs to take a wander and I am sure they will find something.

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

I did not mention a stage at all - I just mentioned a area as I know there is TUC stalls within that area and I would expect that some will either have access to a TV or a radio - if they have advance permission they may do it from a stage but more likely it will be from one of the TUC stalls and or bars - anyone who is interested just needs to take a wander and I am sure they will find something.

It's not really an area anymore. Everything is in the tent, including the stalls and the stage.

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

It's not really an area anymore. Everything is in the tent, including the stalls and the stage.

I was not aware about that as I am unable to walk far {peripheral arterial disease} so did not see it the past few years - I will see if I can get any up to date info as I know the BWTUC Chairman.

If you have a smart phone and and anker (or similar make) mobile charger you may be able to get it through BBC I player or something if it isn't shown!? 

My brother and I watched a few World Cup matches in the campsite the other year on his Galaxy (other phones are available) and he had pretty good signal! 90 minutes. No buffering and about 50 grown men gathering around a tiny phone!! It was very funny! 

I get that it's some thing that you'd want to know the result of, but surprised you'd want to watch the process of that result arriving given the alternate entertainment on offer.

But anyway, my prediction; 63.7% will turnout to vote, 54.1% of those voting will vote to stay.

• 3 weeks later...

I came here looking for this too! I'm going to end up spending the night hitting refresh on my phone, listening to the radio and chewing my fingers anyway. Maybe sorting out a communal field or campfire to do that in could be a plan?

(Or two fields might be safer - one group is going to be disappointed and if we do vote to leave I think the sight of all the happy brexiteers will make me sob even harder and risk flooding the site.)

Not quite sure when the result is due in. Working for a rural council I've done election counts before and our election boxes done arrive until 8am and take a few hours to count. So result often not known until midday

Normally in general election that doesn't impact on the overall result but as referendum looking quite close the result might rest on final results from rural areas who won't announce until Friday morning 

On 5/15/2016 at 8:27 PM, phil the shrew said:

Not quite sure when the result is due in. Working for a rural council I've done election counts before and our election boxes done arrive until 8am and take a few hours to count. So result often not known until midday

Normally in general election that doesn't impact on the overall result but as referendum looking quite close the result might rest on final results from rural areas who won't announce until Friday morning 

I don't know when the results will be in, either, but counting is due to start at 10pm, and I think that the count's being centralised for each region, rather than local councils each organising their own. (Not certain on that one, though, if anyone can correct me?) Ballot boxes will take a while to get in from some places - Shetland etc - but enough regions will have declared outright that we should have a reasonable idea of what's happening at some point overnight.

I need to stay up to watch/ listen anyway - there's no way I'd sleep for fretting about it!

On 18/04/2016 at 1:01 PM, ian the worm said:

I expect it'll be

• Pienaar and Nolan on AM 5Live with exit poll news at 10:00:01. 
  • BBC prediction.
  • 3 hours of debate about the exit poll news.
  • BBC prediction.
  • 2 hours of dribbling in results confirming or swinging the exit poll news.
  • BBC prediction.
  • More hours of results coming in.
  • BBC prediction.
  • Government announcement.
  • BBC prediction.
  • Debate about the announcement.
  • BBC prediction.
  • Debate about the exit polls
  • BBC prediction.
  • Someone resigns.
  • BBC prediction.
  • James start playing on The Other Stage.

sounds about right mate