Slip Inside My Sleeping Bag

CaledonianGonzo

So, my trusted, long-serving, irreplaceable sleeping bag has gone missing through a crack in the Matrix and I need to source a replacement.

Does anyone who's bought one recently have any recommendations?

Requirements:

• Rectangular - none of this mummy's coffin nonsense.  I need to be able to move my feet.
  • Must pack up small.  Like, tiny.
  • Doesn't need to be super high tog.  Probably only 2 season.
  • Decent brand.  Looking for a bit of durable outdoors kit that will last a while, not a £15 from LIDL number.

Hay-ulp!

33 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So, my trusted, long-serving, irreplaceable sleeping bag has gone missing through a crack in the Matrix and I need to source a replacement.

Does anyone who's bought one recently have any recommendations?

Requirements:

• Rectangular - none of this mummy's coffin nonsense.  I need to be able to move my feet.
  • Must pack up small.  Like, tiny.
  • Doesn't need to be super high tog.  Probably only 2 season.
  • Decent brand.  Looking for a bit of durable outdoors kit that will last a while, not a £15 from LIDL number.

Hay-ulp!

I got a Colemans off Amazon a couple of years back - around £10 it cost and is fabulous - cotton lined too!

If you can compromise on the size (ok and on the rectangularness) , i would recommend the gelert XL pod. They're huge, u can actually turn over in them in your sleep and they'e super warm. 3 Seasons and only about £25. 

Think it's been upgraded since i got mine, but heres the new one http://www.camping-online.co.uk/camping-equipment/sleeping-bags/gelert-sleeping-bag/gelert-curve-300-sleeping-bag-pod.html?gclid=CJSv87GGkcwCFQPgGwodWxUMEQ

Edited by GoonerRob
spelling

The thing with packing up small is you inevitably sacrifice either size or warmth, or both.

I have a Vango which is great, but I went for the extra large. I think it's designed for fat bastards (which I'm not) as its over a metre wide, but it's great to have a bit more room than usual, and as you say a square bottom - I too hate the mummy effect.  It absolutely does not pack down small though, but its not too heavy.

17 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Me too. They are the business for having a wriggly w*nk in - I can assure you.

I'll take your word for it. With 5am starts I'm too knackered for anything other than sleep in my sleeping bag, wriggly or otherwise... ;)

23 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I'll take your word for it. With 5am starts I'm too knackered for anything other than sleep in my sleeping bag, wriggly or otherwise... ;)

I recall going to Glastonbury a few weeks after a major operation and found myself starting at 6am. I was going to bed about 1am though. It was all weird. Not the hours I'm used to. A 5am is a cracking start though. Get the most enjoyment you can in while there. As for the sleeping bag thing, I can't remember but don't really think I've had a Tommy Tank at Glastonbury.

42 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I recall going to Glastonbury a few weeks after a major operation and found myself starting at 6am. I was going to bed about 1am though. It was all weird. Not the hours I'm used to. A 5am is a cracking start though. Get the most enjoyment you can in while there. As for the sleeping bag thing, I can't remember but don't really think I've had a Tommy Tank at Glastonbury.

It's OK, actually. I party hard on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday night before the festival starts, then I try to go to bed at 1am on Thurs, Fri, Sat, so I get 4 hours sleep (although on the Sunday night last year it was light when I went to bed - I must have had an hour at most... I know I didn't take my boots off...) I'm not a 'naughty corner' person, but I'm always busy in the day - some music and lots of theatre, comedy, wandering, crafting, talking, eating, drinking, singing... I can always have a power nap on a hill somewhere if I need it, but I figure it's only a week, every minute I'm on the farm is an utter privilege, so I'll sleep when I get home! Last year I got the train home on Monday - got off the train at 6pm, Mr P&P picked me up from the station. By 6.15 I was in the bath, and by 6.45 I was in bed. I woke up at 2pm the next afternoon. Lovely!

Bit of a sale on at Tesco if any of these take your fancy. I got a new one half price in their sale last year. It has a hood and is one of the mummy fellas. Was very dubious at first but with most of my fests north of the border it does seem cosier so I`m converted.

Mountain Warehouse ones are currently half price.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/sports-leisure/all-sleeping-bags/cat30080003.cat?icid=campinghiking_navstamp_slot3&sc_cmp=ppc*sl*mb*bg*px_-_campaign_not_set_-_gmo_recreation*%2Bsleeping%20%2Bbag%20%2Btesco&gclid=CjwKEAjwxce4BRDE2dG4ueLArHMSJADStCqMg08KYrjTjYKVVZy8gqNAIc20mosPbs1oXhjQ-lkfTxoCwhTw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by comfortablynumb1910

55 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Whatever sleeping bag you get a decent cotton liner, plus a real pillow makes a lot of difference.

Aye, I always take a pillow now when in the tent. When space is an issue then you can get a rolled up and packed one from ikea for about 3 quid. Just don't open the packaging until you get there :-)